By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the dumbest game related marketing you've ever seen?

DonFerrari said:
SanAndreasX said:

Tell him that if all other vacuum cleaner worked without electricity and one only worked with it, that would have issues to sell. Now if it done the same without electricity but had a plus the others didn't when on electricity that would be a different thing. This morrow worked at MS?

Yes, but he didn't work at Microsoft for long after those tweets surfaced. Neither did his boss, Don Mattrick, who was just as condescending to prospective Xbone buyers. Microsoft protested over people calling it the "Xbone."

I just googled him. He now works for Sony Music Entertainment.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 17 May 2020

Around the Network

Xbone and Xbox SeX. Xbox is X rated.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SanAndreasX said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Good as a honorable mention, but those weren't ads

Otherwise I could ad(d) these here:

"16 times the detail"

"It just works"

"You guys don't have phones?"

They were major marketing fails, though, so it fits the topic of this thread. Sony was trying to sell the PS3 to the world at E3. Sony shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate. It's honestly a testament to the strength of the PlayStation brand that they fought the 360 to a (somewhat pyrrhic) draw after that.

I knew pyrrhic victory not draw =p

SanAndreasX said:
DonFerrari said:

Tell him that if all other vacuum cleaner worked without electricity and one only worked with it, that would have issues to sell. Now if it done the same without electricity but had a plus the others didn't when on electricity that would be a different thing. This morrow worked at MS?

Yes, but he didn't work at Microsoft for long after those tweets surfaced. Neither did his boss, Don Mattrick, who was just as condescending to prospective Xbone buyers. Microsoft protested over people calling it the "Xbone."

Understood, it surprises me that these twarts still manage to get good jobs after fucking up majorly.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
SanAndreasX said:

They were major marketing fails, though, so it fits the topic of this thread. Sony was trying to sell the PS3 to the world at E3. Sony shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate. It's honestly a testament to the strength of the PlayStation brand that they fought the 360 to a (somewhat pyrrhic) draw after that.

SanAndreasX said:

Understood, it surprises me that these twarts still manage to get good jobs after fucking up majorly.

It's why as soon as I found out Phil Harrison was leading the launch of Stadia I knew it would fail. He led the PS3 and Xbox One launch. Both disasters. He is as good for a console launch as Vince Russo was for wrestling. Whhatever they touch crumbles.

Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

It's why as soon as I found out Phil Harrison was leading the launch of Stadia I knew it would fail. He led the PS3 and Xbox One launch. Both disasters. He is as good for a console launch as Vince Russo was for wrestling. Whhatever they touch crumbles.

I don't recall the names, but yes I remember being two or three big executives on console business that were fundamental part on some of the biggest disasters on gaming and still manage big payments. And we still question how Patcher still ger his job.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Few things more embarassing than when middle aged marketing execs try to appeal to teens and kids by being "hip".

Marcus just comes off as an obnoxious brat. No wonder this campaign totally failed to revive the PSP.

curl-6 said:

Few things more embarassing than when middle aged marketing execs try to appeal to teens and kids by being "hip".

Marcus just comes off as an obnoxious brat. No wonder this campaign totally failed to revive the PSP.

Sad thing is those Marcus ads kept me from getting a PSP. They advertised it as if it was a system just for GTA, and Shooters. Had I known all the great RPGs on PSP I would have bought it alongside my DS.

Yup. Sony's PSP marketing prevented me from getting one for years. When I learned Ys series was coming to PSP I needed one and a friend gave me one. Played the hell out of it and just this month about a decade later it died so I had to replace it. One of my fave handhelds of all time. Take it over the DS any day now but boy it's marketing sucked from racist dustballs to Marcus.

Well, when advertising outright deters people from buying the product it's trying to sell, I think that's basically the definition of failure.

It's not marketing, but in 90s eastern europe had some underground game translation and 'publishing' companies if you know what I mean. Some of their absurd translations have become folklore, for example they translated Tomb Raider as Томбовский Рейдер which translated back to English means Tombian Raider, like Tomb meant a city, a country or a nation. Some games had so trashy voice acting you wouldn't believe.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.