By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the dumbest game related marketing you've ever seen?

GoOnKid said:
COKTOE said:

The fact that the PS2 one was directed by David Lynch is pretty neat. I'm not even a fan really, but it's kinda cool that a big time, we'll respected director did something like this.

It's called The Third Space, but that stupid duck says: "Welcome to the third place."

Sure that's cool but I'm sure 99% of the watchers don't know that and are just left with some artsy fartsy images that just feel uncomfortable. What is the third space even meant to be? What are the first two? Who are the animals on the couch? Is this a drug advertisment, perhaps? This spot only raises questions and leaves people confused and disturbed.

I mean, yeah, as an ad it fails hard.

But it was one hell of a ride.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I used to want that case so bad... 😢

Twitter: @d21lewis

GoOnKid said:
COKTOE said:

The fact that the PS2 one was directed by David Lynch is pretty neat. I'm not even a fan really, but it's kinda cool that a big time, we'll respected director did something like this.

It's called The Third Space, but that stupid duck says: "Welcome to the third place."

Sure that's cool but I'm sure 99% of the watchers don't know that and are just left with some artsy fartsy images that just feel uncomfortable. What is the third space even meant to be? What are the first two? Who are the animals on the couch? Is this a drug advertisment, perhaps? This spot only raises questions and leaves people confused and disturbed.

The first place is home. The second place is the workplace. The third place is separate from the first two social environments, so the point of the ad was that the PS2 is that kind of place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

So the duck was correct, because it's not called the third space.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Leynos said:

People think Sony's worst is early PSP/PS3 stuff. From the racist ads on TV and billboards to demon babies. As bad as that is. Not as bad as topless women and killing a real goat for a God of War 2 promotion party.

Yes I had to censor the image she is topless.

Firstly, why is topless women even a bad thing? Secondly why on earth do you think it's worse than racism? Are you sexist, or just scared of boobs?

Ka-pi96 said:
Leynos said:

People think Sony's worst is early PSP/PS3 stuff. From the racist ads on TV and billboards to demon babies. As bad as that is. Not as bad as topless women and killing a real goat for a God of War 2 promotion party.

Yes I had to censor the image she is topless.

Firstly, why is topless women even a bad thing? Secondly why on earth do you think it's worse than racism? Are you sexist, or just scared of boobs?

The killing of a real goat belongs to the same sentence. The racism had actors, but the goat had to die for real.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The killing of a real goat belongs to the same sentence. The racism had actors, but the goat had to die for real.

That may be true, but it also had the "women have to be covered up all the time. They're impure and they aren't allowed to take their shirts off even though men can, or even feed their children in public" bullshit.

That was also the only part that was reiterated.

Ka-pi96 said:
RolStoppable said:

That may be true, but it also had the "women have to be covered up all the time. They're impure and they aren't allowed to take their shirts off even though men can, or even feed their children in public" bullshit.

That was also the only part that was reiterated.

Or maybe it was only about posting in accordance with the forum rules which state that posting nipples is not allowed.

The God of War 2 promotional image was already posted in this thread before Leynos's post. The dead goat is censored in the default version of the image, that's why Leynos only had the woman to take care of when he posted the image.

In a later post Leynos censored portions of a promotional image for Sega's Virtua Tennis, covering up the naked butt and crotch of two different men.

Off the top of my head, the PS Vita ad that made it seem like you could play online no matter where you were. That one was misleading and caisei Sony to be sued.

And the other; "PSP. It's like a nut you can play"

Twitter: @d21lewis

SanAndreasX said:

"Giant enemy crabs..."

"599 US dollars..."

"Attack it's weak point for massive damage."

IcaroRibeiro said:
Jpcc86 said:

Self explanatory

Also, No Man Sky's entire campaign with all the promises they made prior to launch, it was sent out to die.
The PS3 and WiiU launch campaigns as well, they did a horrible job selling me something I should be hyped for. 

I can't believe this is real 

Yes, it's real. It might also be part of why the PSP lost to the Nintendo DS.

Speaking of awful PSP ads:

Arin Hanson (aka Egoraptor) said it best:

mZuzek said:
GoOnKid said:

Especially if you were stoned at the time.

RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That's the other reason I hate God of War.

Probably acceptable in the late 80s, but now...

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Especially if you were stoned at the time.

Which I'm pretty sure they were when they made it.