By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

https://nintendoeverything.com/paper-mario-the-origami-king-details-open-world-setup-and-more/

– Intelligent Systems dev Naohiko Aoyama asked for a battle system in which the enemies surround Mario to attack from all sides
– This is how the team first started thinking about battles for The Origami King
– Tanabe had an idea come to him one day while in the shower about a Rubik’s Cube
– This inspired him to add vertical rotations to the horizontal rotations and led to the slide mechanic
– Combat begins with players having a set number of turns in the planning phase to optimize their positioning
– The goal is to line enemies up in groups so that Mario can take them out efficiently
– Stomp attack hits enemies lined up in a row
– Hammer deals more concentrated damage to groups of enemies that are standing side-by-side and one row deep
– Can spend coins to purchase more time to think if you’re running low on time
– Toad friends can give you hints if you pay them
– Even if you blow it on your first attempt, you can still rearrange the stragglers once both you and the enemies have taken turns
– Each of the five streamers encasing Peach’s castle is guarded by a member of the Legion of Stationary
– The team initially wanted to use the same basic battle system in these boss encounters, but since you fight these bosses one at a time, you didn’t have anything to line up
– Because of this, the boss is in the center and Mario creates a route to the boss from the outside
– Bosses are scattered around the world and players can see the streamers far in the distance
– Story isn’t chapter-focused like past games
– Players can travel from region to region seamlessly in an open-world setup
– Huge maps to explore
– Nintendo designed the game so that “there is always something in the player’s field of vision to catch their attention,” according to Intelligent Systems director Masahiko Magaya
– Mario can drive a boot-shaped car around and pilot a boat
– Mario will also be aboard an airship, where he takes command of the ship’s defenses to fire rockets at incoming paper planes
– Lots of one-off activities and miscellaneous diversions in the game
– Mario will encounter a host of Toads who have been folded into different origami forms
– Hitting them with his hammer reverts them back to their normal form, then several things can happen
– They might return to Toad Town, restoring valuable services to the location, like selling items or opening the dock
– The Toads may also join Mario in battle, watching from the sidelines and helping when asked (and paid)
– Can go fishing
– Olivia is a constant companion throughout the adventure
– Other characters join and leave along the way
– The shuffling cast is a function of the story, so players aren’t deciding which allies to bring along

Around the Network

Engadget posts ten minutes of gameplay:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/paper-mario-the-origami-king-10-minutes-of-gameplay/vi-BB16viCW

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/the_first_review_for_paper_mario_the_origami_king_is_now_in?fbclid=IwAR045RBI0Un9jtoRjrzWq-Pb30Wfzz2Yk3WkXz8FzZIvAK_DHdPm115SB84

Previews are already out there. Is someone going to do a thread or are we going to discuss in this one?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Previews are already out there. Is someone going to do a thread or are we going to discuss in this one?

I am also curious about this! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Would be a good way to boost this thread some, if we just ended up doing the latter : P 

OK. Then let's talk about the previews.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead

Here are some of them, both in english and spanish:

Looking at those, this is what I get:

1. Overall, the game is very similar to Color Splash, like TTYD to PM64:

-Confetti works as the paint to fix scenarios and get a rewards, so far looks like it is for coins. We can get confetti from the environments, but looks like a lot less than the amount we get as a reward for battles.

-Coins are the replacement to XP, and we are going to have to buy items (such as fire flowers and shrooms), weapons upgrades and accesories in case we want our character to progress. Still unknown if weapon upgrades get unlocked with battles just like in CS, where we unlock better cards thru battles.

-Olivia works as the bucket companion in CS following you the entire adventure, but here she can learn abilities after defeating some bosses.

-The focus of the game is in the adventure aspect, and RPG elements are more superficial.

-Bosses still require the puzzle aspect to defeat them, althought that was also part of some of the PM64 bosses, and here is integrated into the battle arena.

2. Accesories are expensive from what I could see, some are 2,000-3,000 coins, and some are to boost defenses or expand the time at the beggining of the battle.

3. World is interconnected but keeps the setpieces of CS. Pipes act like fast travel points, similar to PM64 and TTYD.

4. Partners are temporal and with story purposes.

5. Story progession seems exactly like all the PM games, split into chapters.

6. Players can find health upgrades (hearts), that acts also as power upgrades. With those upgrades players can avoid battles for the weakest enemies. This is something that the entire series had.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I will wait for a Bug Fables physical copy, Nintendo can shove it. I love Nintendo, but oh boy, they are infuriating stubborn when they want to be.

A Treehouse event tomorrow will give an extended look at the game:

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 July 2020

curl-6 said:

A Treehouse event tomorrow will give an extended look at the game:

this right here will determine if I'm getting it. If it's more like 1/1000 Year door I'll get it. otherwise, nope.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android