By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Would You Feel If Switch 2 Went Back To Fold Out Design (DS/3DS)?

Just curious about this, how would you feel if Switch 2 was more like a giant sized 3DS XL (but no second screen) like the GPD Win 2 is (not quite that bulky though and no keyboard obviously)?

Would it make a big difference in how you view the system? 

Pros of that design that I can see:

1.) Screen is protected from scratches/damage when folded. 

2.) Control could be made more comfortable. If you integrate physical controls on the bottom half of the unit there's a lot of room for a very large d-pad + buttons + twin analog sticks (though they'd have to be more like the GPD Win 2 in design for folding). A DS/3DS obviously had a lot of the bottom half's space eaten up by the 2nd screen which wouldn't be here. 

3.) System would probably be thicker than the current Switch but could be made less wide than a Switch w/Joycons on. As such the system would likely be easier to simply slide into a pocket without having to do the whole thing of detaching Joycons, reattaching them later. Just close the system and slide into your pocket. It would eat up your entire pocket though.

4.) Likely better battery life. They could integrate a second battery behind the display half for example which could power the display meaning now the bottom half of the system can devote all its battery to the chipset. System could also be wider than the main body Switch but still pocketable allowing for a bigger battery in the bottom half to boot. 

5.) If Labo VR was a test run for Nintendo wanting to dip more into VR, a fold out form factor may allow for an interesting new ripple too -- the top screen could potentially detach and then be inserted into a cheap VR plastic headset. There are quite a few laptop/phablets these days that detach from their lower section. The big pro for this is this would allow Nintendo to make a much lighter VR/AR headset, especially for kids. The full weight of a Switch is pretty heavy, this is why Labo kinda "cheats" by having you have to hold the Switch with your hands basically but that limits what you can do. Nintendo with Wii U also obviously has the tech to stream a wireless video signal, so a Switch VR setup could be made light, cheap, and even wireless with this setup. Mario Kart VR anyone? Pilotwings VR? Mario VR World? 

Cons:

1.) It would be a new design that deviates a bit from the current Switch design. Though that might be a pro I guess it making it seem new.

2.) Joycons may have to be rethought a bit. I don't know if Joycons would attach to the system since is there really isn't a point if the base unit has physical controls. 

On the pro side though maybe this means they could make better Joycons, they could be shaped more comfortably and made a tad larger if they don't have to attach to the base unit itself. They could be more like a small little dog bone shape for instance eliminating the need for those slide on attachments in horizontal play mode. Ship two with each system, they slide into a controller base to form a "pro controller" for play at home. 

Around the Network

A dual screen design is a good idea but only if it's for DS and 3DS BC with local multiplayer added.

The rest is meh.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

No dual screen. Battery life is precious on devices like these can't be having a huge chunk of resources being eaten up by displaying a .... map. 

Soundwave said:

No dual screen. Battery life is precious on devices like these can't be having a huge chunk of resources being eaten up by displaying a .... map. 

Is it still a hybrid?

Current Switch could already do Mario Kart, World and Pilotwings in VR natively or with an added headset.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Not a fold out like the DS and 3DS. We have no need for a second screen. The other half would either be used as a controller or maybe have the ports of the dock. There's gotta be some way to make the dock and tablet of the Switch as one that could be activated by folding and plugging in cords or something.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

It would still be a hybrid, you take it home and plug it into a dock. Just the form factor would be different. 

Labo can do VR but not with a head mounted/supported headset ... you can see Labo makes a person hold the Switch with their arms to their face ... this is because the system is too heavy and probably would be too front heavy for little kids especially. 

A fold out Switch 2 could solve this problem by simply having the lighter screen portion detach, imagine you could remove the top half of your 3DS ... it's not hard to think how light just that section would be. And you can integrate a small battery behind the display too. Slide that into a dedicated VR plastic headset that Nintendo could probably sell for $99.99 w/game included and voila ... now you got yourself a very nice, light VR/AR setup that's user and kid friendly. 

If it's going to be a hybrid, there's not much point. They doing really build the second screen into the gameplay in a meaningful way if it's going to dock.

I wouldn't mind some kind of built in cover for the screen though.

JWeinCom said:
If it's going to be a hybrid, there's not much point. They doing really build the second screen into the gameplay in a meaningful way if it's going to dock.

I wouldn't mind some kind of built in cover for the screen though.

Better battery life/performance, better VR, better screen protection, better controls would be the main 4 points I think. 

Even if it would be thicker it would be easier to slide into a pocket as well most likely. 

This is the GPD Win 2 ... it is considerably thicker granted when its folded, but which of the two looks like it would go more easily into a pocket:

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 May 2020

That'd make me much less interested. Sounds like that design wouldn't allow for joy cons. And therefore also would make you have to buy a stand alone pair of joy cons or a pro controller just to play on the TV. Basically you'd have to buy extra stuff to actually make it hybrid. That's a non-starter for me. Also the hinge is something that can break. Nope, I vastly prefer the Switch's current design to a clamshell design. Never did like how the DS, 3DS looked and doing it on a hybrid would present some real difficulties as just described.

I want the Switch 2 to pretty much be the exact same form factor as the Switch, though if they can figure out how to make the joy con slightly larger without making the system too large that would be perfect. Everything else can stay the exact same. If they want to add a couple millimeters to the thickness to pack in some extra battery that's perfectly fine. Other than the joycons being very small when you flip it sideways to play with just one, I think the form factor on the Switch is already basically perfect.

Slownenberg said:
That'd make me much less interested. Sounds like that design wouldn't allow for joy cons. And therefore also would make you have to buy a stand alone pair of joy cons or a pro controller just to play on the TV. Basically you'd have to buy extra stuff to actually make it hybrid. That's a non-starter for me. Also the hinge is something that can break. Nope, I vastly prefer the Switch's current design to a clamshell design. Never did like how the DS, 3DS looked and doing it on a hybrid would present some real difficulties as just described.

I want the Switch 2 to pretty much be the exact same form factor as the Switch, though if they can figure out how to make the joy con slightly larger without making the system too large that would be perfect. Everything else can stay the exact same. If they want to add a couple millimeters to the thickness to pack in some extra battery that's perfectly fine. Other than the joycons being very small when you flip it sideways to play with just one, I think the form factor on the Switch is already basically perfect.

They would still have to have Joycons with the system I think, because you need a controller to be able to play games once the system is docked at home. So it could include two Joycons that attach together into a controller base for a home controller as they do now and you could take them along on the road to share with friends. And they could in that sense make them slightly larger or shaped differently for better comfort. 

You would need them also for VR.