By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

twintail said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I am not saying the changes aren't real. I am sure games will see a huge improvements in game design and etc when moving from hard drives to SSDs. What I am suggesting is that majority of the 3rd party games will not require Ps5's SSD and will work just fine with Series X and a lot of PC's Nvme SSDs, specially with things like DirectStorage API and the rumoured Tensor Memory Compression from Nvidia. Because if it did need PS5's SSDs, then they wouldn't get any sales from Series X or PC which is silly at best... First party games, yea, they can make use of the SSD no doubt...

I don't think it's silly that a dev would go PS5 only. 

We've seen it happen countless times this gen, and I'm sure it'll continue into next. That said, there is definitely a difference between building you game to require the PS5 SSD to actually function, and using the PS5 SSD to just enhance the overall experience.

The latter could very easily happen with a lot of multiplatform games without requiring a lot of effort on the devs part. But I stress 'could' because of course I don't actually know how devs are finding development atm. 

I would like to see a list of how many since I am curious. Usually it's either Ps4 and Xbox exclusive or Ps4 and PC exclusive or maybe even Ps4 and Switch exclusive. And sometimes, it's ps4 timed exclusive which then eventually gets ported.

And yea, we will see how it goes. I have a feeling that while the SSD is gonna be a game changer in game design and etc, the GPU's capabilities specially at high resolutions will put a limit to it's usefulness outside of first party games. Could be wrong though of course since it's all speculation.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 05 June 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I would like to see a list of how many since I am curious. Usually it's either Ps4 and Xbox exclusive or Ps4 and PC exclusive or maybe even Ps4 and Switch exclusive. And sometimes, it's ps4 timed exclusive which then eventually gets ported.

And yea, we will see how it goes. I have a feeling that while the SSD is gonna be a game changer in game design and etc, the GPU's capabilities specially at high resolutions will put a limit to it's usefulness outside of first party games. Could be wrong though of course since it's all speculation.

The GPU shouldn't hold it back, because that is the whole point of the SSDs and vastly improved I/O — to be less reliant on them. That's not really speculation if you watched and understood Cerny. That's one of the reasons he was so dismissive of the teraflop talk. 

Pretty sure everything is speculation until we see the games actually come out and people have put this into practice... I am sure he had more than one reason as to why he was dismissive of the teraflop talk...

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 05 June 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Pretty sure everything is speculation until we see the games actually come out and people have put this into practice... I am sure he had more than one reason as to why he was dismissive of the teraflop talk...

Yeah, hence why I said "That's one of the reasons he was so dismissive of the teraflop talk." I see you missed the edit, but that was one reason. No matter the additional reason(s), the one I brought up is one of them.

As for speculation, you can be skeptical. That's fine. I'm less so because I have a better idea of what is coming and what they will be using to achieve such results.

Sounds good to me. We will see how it goes...

Captain_Yuri said:
twintail said:

I don't think it's silly that a dev would go PS5 only. 

We've seen it happen countless times this gen, and I'm sure it'll continue into next. That said, there is definitely a difference between building you game to require the PS5 SSD to actually function, and using the PS5 SSD to just enhance the overall experience.

The latter could very easily happen with a lot of multiplatform games without requiring a lot of effort on the devs part. But I stress 'could' because of course I don't actually know how devs are finding development atm. 

What I'm finding most fascinating about all of this is that, before the new consoles specs were revealed, just about everybody was putting the blame on the old Jaguar CPUs for the 8th gen's bottleneck, and for the life of me I don't remember anyone even mentioning storage as the culprit. Now all of a sudden the SSD is the only thing that matters.

And yes, I understand that higher SSD speeds will allow to stream more data faster, but that data needs to be processed in the first place. You can have all the storage speed and memory bandwith in the world, but if the CPU and GPU cannot keep up, you're just going to end up with a waste of bandwith.

chakkra said:
Captain_Yuri said:

What I'm finding most fascinating about all of this is that, before the new consoles specs were revealed, just about everybody was putting the blame on the old Jaguar CPUs for the 8th gen's bottleneck, and for the life of me I don't remember anyone even mentioning storage as the culprit. Now all of a sudden the SSD is the only thing that matters.

And yes, I understand that higher SSD speeds will allow to stream more data faster, but that data needs to be processed in the first place. You can have all the storage speed and memory bandwith in the world, but if the CPU and GPU cannot keep up, you're just going to end up with a waste of bandwith.

Lol you do bring up a good point. I forgot about those Jag cores and yea, those were super shit. Thank god for Zen!

Around the Network

https://youtu.be/4ehDRCE1Z38

Linus commits seppuku for his misinformed comments pertaining to Tim Sweeney and the PS5 SSD. Classy move and a good summary of the drive's advantages.

CGI-Quality said:
chakkra said:

I am not sure who said the SSD is the only thing that matters (if they are in here, they are very much a minority). This also leaves out the I/O (which will be hjust as important and people have pointed that out).

In any case, yes, those Jaguar CPUs were bottlenecks to better performance. That's a fact. So people had good reason to point blame at them when mentioning what needed a big upgrade (which happens to also be part of the next gen package). Worried about next gen bandwidth/bottlenecks (at least in regards to the PS5)? Listen to Mark Cerny.

Well, I don't think you need to literally see the words "SSD is the only thing that matters" to notice that that is the only thing people talk about these days (and the way they talk about it).

And yes, I watched (and read) Sony's presentation, and I watched (and read) MS's presentation.

You want to hear my opinion on the matter?
Well, Series X designers got to the conclusion that a SSD running at 2.4GB have the enough streaming speed needed for the amount of data that a GPU with 52CUs x1.8GHz and a 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz are going to be able to process/generate.

PS5 designers, on the other hand, concluded that a SSD at 5.5GB is needed for the amount of data that a GPU with 36 CUs x2.2GHz and a 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz are going to be able to process/generate.

One of them is going to end up being wrong. If MS is wrong then their SSD solution might end up being a bottleneck, but if Sony is wrong then the PS5 will end up with just a bunch of bandwith unused/wasted.

chakkra said:

Everything is relative though, and I guess ultimately the approach both Sony and MS have gone with is fully dependent on the cost of components and the diminishing returns of linearly progressive hardware spec bumps. 5 years ago I don't think many of us thought that things would have slowed down as much as they have comparative to price. Price being the major factor here that has skyrocketed.

That is to say that usually we see huge amounts of RAM upgrades every 5 years. So much so that on average we generally see a RAM increase by a factor of approximately x10. PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4. Going from PS4 to PS5 is only going to be twice as much RAM. Why? Cost of RAM is ridiculous. This presented Sony/MS with a dilemna, how do they achieve a generational leap while still keeping the cost down? Here is where blazing fast asset streaming comes in. Cerny touched on this heavily in his presentation - whereby your SSD (800+gb) can almost act as RAM (not quite but almost).

Ultimately this leads to maximum utilization of your 16GB of RAM. You will see that a general theme of the next generation consoles is maximum efficiency in using what they have.

With regards to CPU power - there wasnt really much thought needed on this one. 8 zen2 cores was always going to be the standard given what we see on desktop along with price. Again bumping this to 16 just isn't feasible from a cost perspective and anything less would be hopelessly underpowered with no way to make up the difference. Perhaps if they did decide to spend the resources on more CPU power it might have come at the cost of their SSD and IO solution along with a better heat solution and bigger form factor etc. So again the logical decision was made, and this is a decision made by both manufacturers leading to little or no needed discussion on the CPU front.

Personally, with regards to the GPU i see it as a exactly the same way as I do with the CPU. Latests RDNA 2 architecture with decent clock speeds, is really all that is required. Anything less again would have been waaay to far behind, and anything more is probably too expensive, too big and too hot. This seems to be the only area of deviation though between the two manufacturers, MS goes with a bigger GPU die, while Sony pushed some hardware processing to assist with IO through put. 

And thats why we find ourselves here with all this SSD talk.

If things had progressed as they have been 10-15 years ago we would probably be talking about huge amounts of RAM like 64gb and 16 core cpus clocked at 10ghz etc..

This also leads to Cerny's comment about equating PS4 teraflops to PS5 teraflops. Devs and Engineers are finding new ways to overcome limitations and the hardware manufacturers are following suite and building to cater to those needs. If they know to focus on certain areas then processing of a particular type of load becomes more efficient - but it doesnt necessarily change the teraflop count. Its the same concept as running Ray Tracing work loads on a monster gpu from 5 years ago - its pointless.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

chakkra said:
CGI-Quality said:

I am not sure who said the SSD is the only thing that matters (if they are in here, they are very much a minority). This also leaves out the I/O (which will be hjust as important and people have pointed that out).

In any case, yes, those Jaguar CPUs were bottlenecks to better performance. That's a fact. So people had good reason to point blame at them when mentioning what needed a big upgrade (which happens to also be part of the next gen package). Worried about next gen bandwidth/bottlenecks (at least in regards to the PS5)? Listen to Mark Cerny.

Well, I don't think you need to literally see the words "SSD is the only thing that matters" to notice that that is the only thing people talk about these days (and the way they talk about it).

And yes, I watched (and read) Sony's presentation, and I watched (and read) MS's presentation.

Well, Series X designers got to the conclusion that a SSD running at 2.4GB have the enough streaming speed needed for the amount of data that a GPU with 52CUs x1.8GHz and a 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz are going to be able to process/generate.

PS5 designers, on the other hand, concluded that a SSD at 5.5GB is needed for the amount of data that a GPU with 36 CUs x2.2GHz and a 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz are going to be able to process/generate.

One of them is going to end up being wrong. If MS is wrong then their SSD solution might end up being a bottleneck, but if Sony is wrong then the PS5 will end up with just a bunch of bandwith unused/wasted.

Those differences are sooo small in the grand scheme of things though. I highly doubt either console is going to be hugely bottlenecked in any significant way to the point where one console outshines the other to a significant degree.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

chakkra said:

That is nonsense.

The whole hardware chain of <data from ssd at speed x> -> <data in gpu memory at speed x> is incredibly complex if you look at the Cerny slides. The work on all the extra processors was started at the beginning of the PS5 development (maybe even before). That was long before cpu and gpu geometries were set so these numbers were totally unknown. What they could do is estimate the minimum bandwidth required by analyzing test game setups.

The speed of 5.5GB/s was chosen to be high enough to do the job while at the same time it does not require particularly expensive chips. A 12 lane ssd could run at much higher speeds but at much hotter temperatures (a key element to watch over).