By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

the-pi-guy said:
Soundwave said:

I don't buy a graphics engineer would mistake a video file for an actual demo (running a video file at 40 fps is also bizarre, video files are either 24 fps, 30 fps, or rarely 60 fps). The translated version has the engineers clearly saying the SSD throughput only needs to be in the MB/sec range, not GB/sec. Why in the world would you even bother talking about that over a video file. Sweeney likely has a marketing deal with Sony and doesn't want to rock the boat on that. New AMD GPUs getting outperformed by older Nvidia GPUs in actual practise is nothing new, been happening for ages and Epic already admitted the demo will run fine on a 2070 Super. The PS5 is nothing special GPU wise. 

There are so many factors that could be at play.

1.) The engineer might have mispoke saying 40 instead of 30.

2.) Sweeney might be respecting some deal.

3.) The PS5 demo might have had some artificial limits set on it, so that it would run at a set standard.  

There is so much room for misunderstanding by Sweeney, a technical limit, the engineer mispeaking, or something totally different.  It's hard to say.

what kind of deal?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Soundwave said:

I don't buy a graphics engineer would mistake a video file for an actual demo (running a video file at 40 fps is also bizarre, video files are either 24 fps, 30 fps, or rarely 60 fps). The translated version has the engineers clearly saying the SSD throughput only needs to be in the MB/sec range, not GB/sec. Why in the world would you even bother talking about that over a video file. Sweeney likely has a marketing deal with Sony and doesn't want to rock the boat on that. New AMD GPUs getting outperformed by older Nvidia GPUs in actual practise is nothing new, been happening for ages and Epic already admitted the demo will run fine on a 2070 Super. The PS5 is nothing special GPU wise. 

3.) The PS5 demo might have had some artificial limits set on it, so that it would run at a set standard.  

There is so much room for misunderstanding by Sweeney, a technical limit, the engineer mispeaking, or something totally different.  It's hard to say.

Nvidia's CEO already said 2080 Max Q laptops can outperform a PS5, Sweeney doesn't really say anything to full on deny something like that either

https://techreport.com/news/3467613/nvidia-says-2080-max-q-faster-than-next-xbox-ps5/

It sounds like to me Epic's engineers in China basically had that result. Sweeney can't say it outright because it wouldn't look good for the marketing deal he has with Sony. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 19 May 2020

the-pi-guy said:
Soundwave said:

Nvidia's CEO already said 2080 Max Q laptops can outperform a PS5, Sweeney doesn't really say anything to full on deny something like that either

https://techreport.com/news/3467613/nvidia-says-2080-max-q-faster-than-next-xbox-ps5/

It sounds like to me Epic's engineers in China basically had that result. Sweeney can't say it outright because it wouldn't look good for the marketing deal he has with Sony. 

I have no doubt about that it will outperform the PS5.  As I've said a couple times throughout this thread, it's like a $1500+ laptop compared to a probably $500 PS5.  In fact, the laptop is probably closer to $2,000.

Laptops are not priced at cost for obvious reasons, probably has more to do with the fact that Nvidia simply kicks AMD's butt in actual hardware performance. There are many examples of AMD claiming some higher number of teraflops for a new GPU which then gets outperformed in testing by an older Nvidia GPU with lower stated teraflops. 

setsunatenshi said:
Teriol said:

They show the demo running better on pc, and it was a notebook and it is confirm by the epic guy from China, and by this guy from DF, the ssd on ps5 was not necesary for this demo to run even better, so all this  is just PR from sony in all reality Xbox SX will be superior, but thats no bad because the Ps5 will be a great console running the same games plus exclusives.

No

a notebook that around the £2500 mark!!!

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Soundwave said:

Why would Sweeney say anything about that? They are not mentioning Epic or any of Epic´s products in any way, shape or form.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
the-pi-guy said:

So Sweeney saying isn't trustworthy because he was paid for, but nvidia ceo defending his product and without having access to ps5 and xsx is?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Anybody trying to sell you something (in this case, PS5 and UE5) is obviously going to portray it in only a positive light, and in a collaboration like this, Epic's not going to say to come out and say "this isn't as good as what you'll get on Xbox Series X or a high spec PC". There's a certain etiquette to these kind of partnerships.

That said, the demo clearly shows PS5 delivering stunning results, and UE5 almost certainly deliver amazing graphics on XSX and PC as well, so everyone should be happy.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 May 2020

curl-6 said:

Anybody trying to sell you something will obviously paint it in the best possible light, and in a collaboration like this, Epic's not going to say to come out and say "this isn't as good as what you'll get on Xbox Series X or a high spec PC". There's a certain etiquette to these kind of partnerships.

That said, the demo clearly shows PS5 delivering stunning results, and UE5 almost certainly deliver great graphics on XSX and PC as well, so everyone should be happy.

Sweeney stated that over the last few years Epic have worked closely with Sony on their implementation of SSD/IO for the PS5 and because of that he felt it was a good fit to highlight the tech being displayed in the demo.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 19 May 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Soundwave said:

The engineer mentions that they are targeting running that demo at 60fps but they managed to optimise it to reach 40 so far. The presentation was locked at 30, for a very logical reason. 40 fps is a stuttering fest and you don't want to reveal such a demo not running smoothly.

curl-6 said:

Anybody trying to sell you something (in this case, PS5 and UE5) is obviously going to portray it in only a positive light, and in a collaboration like this, Epic's not going to say to come out and say "this isn't as good as what you'll get on Xbox Series X or a high spec PC". There's a certain etiquette to these kind of partnerships.

That said, the demo clearly shows PS5 delivering stunning results, and UE5 almost certainly deliver amazing graphics on XSX and PC as well, so everyone should be happy.

Sure I don't expect him to badmouth it, what makes it even oddier this Epic China thing. Plus he can't purely lie or mislead. He can avoid and spin though, and he didn't.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."