By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

kirby007 said:
setsunatenshi said:

Good thing we're not talking about the SSD alone then but how it's integrated in the system's architecture. Or, to quote Tim Sweeney: "The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on PC for any amount of money right now. It’s going to help drive future PCs."

Btw, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to upgrade to an even faster SSD in the future as prices come down.

Also, @bolded: Why didn't Epic show it running on PC like they did in the past for their previous engines? If I'm showing my product I would want to show it in the best light possible.

probably because all PS games coming to PC will be sold in the Epic Store, probably

think for 2 seconds before you post please:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151640/Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Complete_Edition/

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
kirby007 said:

probably because all PS games coming to PC will be sold in the Epic Store, probably

doesnt mean it won't be sold in the epic store, for example look at death stranding
check multiple source? ty

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

hinch said:
PotentHerbs said:

I thought the UE5 demo was 4K but it was 1440P! That's absolutely insane. SSM, Guerrilla Games, PD & ND are all likely to surpass the graphical fidelity of UE5 which is crazy to even think about. And it didn't even use RT for that incredible lighting!

The flying portion, including the LOD, no lag, no pop ins, really shows the potential of the SSD. Racing games, or traversal in general, is going to become a lot faster. Can you imagine the web slinging in Spiderman 2 or the flying in the Horizon sequel? Loading game worlds in an instant might also mean more interior buildings in a game like GTA or amplified boss fights in a game like GOW2 (IE. Thor and Kratos punching each other through dimensions). 

Goes to show how good up-scaling tech has come along. Kinda sad that people try to downplay the resolution when most can't even tell if it is native 4k unless told so. Would definitely prefer the extra fidelity (and performance) over native 4k, just looks insanely good and detailed.

Actually really excited at the prospects that consoles have SSD's as standard.Who knows, maybe high speed SSD's will be requirement (minimum spec) on certain games on PC in the near future.

Native 4k is very noticeable. Its hard to not see the extra clarity that ir provides. Its obvious when a game is upscaled as its not as sharp as native resolution. 

Why cant we have both? Why cant we have amazing visuals, 4k res and good framerate. It just requires a good hardware which is possible as well. The demo was nice. The lighting look right. The game would alot nicer if there was rt in it.

As a question to CGI: can a really fast ssd bridge the gap in game visuals despite having a weaker hardware? 

kirby007 said:
setsunatenshi said:

doesnt mean it won't be sold in the epic store, for example look at death stranding

Yeah, so? Means it's sold everywhere, including Epic's main competitor, Steam store.

What's the implication you're trying to make? Just spell it out, don't be shy.

setsunatenshi said:
kirby007 said:

Yeah, so? Means it's sold everywhere, including Epic's main competitor, Steam store.

1. epic gets money from sales done in the epic store
2. sony gets money from sony games sold in the epic store
3. both are in it for the money, not to give you the best for free

in the end its all about the money, why show it on hardware from a manufacturer that doesn't pay you vs showing it on next gen console specs for a certain fee

its a no brainer even if you can push the engine with a good pc right now much further why would you, if it doesnt get you paid

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
setsunatenshi said:

in the end its all about the money, why show it on hardware from a manufacturer that doesn't pay you vs showing it on next gen console specs for a certain fee

its a no brainer even if you can push the engine with a good pc right now much further why would you, if it doesnt get you paid

1. Most Sony first party studios do not use Unreal Engine (not sure about Days Gone, might be the only one)

2. Sony gets money from Sony games sold in the Steam store

3. All of them are in it for the money, not to give you stuff for free (what a useless point to make)

You show a game engine wherever it shows best. Epic is in it to wow people and inspire them to use their engine. If they could have shown better on different hardware, they would have. Was the same for all previous versions of unreal engine. Get the beefiest PC you can reasonably assemble and advertise their proprietary engine running there, boom.

You know you have bad logic when it literally applies in the one exact case it's somehow convenient to your narrative.

PS: I read through your signature and seems quite interesting how you seem to be going completely against it: "Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong."

Oh the irony...

setsunatenshi said:
kirby007 said:

1. Most Sony first party studios do not use Unreal Engine (not sure about Days Gone, might be the only one)

3. All of them are in it for the money, not to give you stuff for free (what a useless point to make)

You show a game engine wherever it shows best. Epic is in it to wow people and inspire them to use their engine. If they could have shown better on different hardware, they would have. Was the same for all previous versions of unreal engine. Get the beefiest PC you can reasonably assemble and advertise their proprietary engine running there, boom.

You know you have bad logic when it literally applies in the one exact case it's somehow convenient to your narrative.

PS: I read through your signature and seems quite interesting how you seem to be going completely against it: "Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong."

Oh the irony...

that is only if im wrong,
Epic could have used CGI's or pemalites setups and produced something even more mind boggling, but they didn't, why didnt they, because 1. they got paid and 2. they wanted to show off scalability

setsunatenshi said:
Pemalite said:

We don't actually know the % of how much bandwidth of the SSD was being used on the Playstation 5.
For all we know it was only 500MB/s and a Sata SSD is more than enough to handle it.

However the Unreal Engine 5 demo is entirely capable of running on the PC... And capable of running better than the Playstation 5, the PC can push higher resolutions, framerates and effects.
And on the SSD front... The Samsung 980Pro SSD for instance can do 6.5GB/s which will be out before the PS5 releases and doesn't use TLC or QLC NAND either, but MLC... With a controller that has a chunky DRAM cache.

Good thing we're not talking about the SSD alone then but how it's integrated in the system's architecture. Or, to quote Tim Sweeney: "The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on PC for any amount of money right now. It’s going to help drive future PCs."

Btw, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to upgrade to an even faster SSD in the future as prices come down.

Also, @bolded: Why didn't Epic show it running on PC like they did in the past for their previous engines? If I'm showing my product I would want to show it in the best light possible.

Could be a variety of reasons. There could be some financial benefits put in place or development/technology sharing in order to gain more developer support for the engine, who knows.
EPIC follows the cash cows typically, hence the Epic Store, Hence why they partnered up with Microsoft once, hence why they dropped the Unreal Tournament sequel in favor of Fortnite. EPIC is a business, it's capitalism at work.

We don't know if the drive is upgradeable in the Playstation 5, it's not a commodity drive, so they may lock it down to ensure a degree of consistency with the performance, they wouldn't want people replacing it with a drive half the speed, would they?

But let's say that it theoretically was capable of being upgraded... It would be limited by the 4x PCI-E 4.0 lanes... Which tops out at 8GB/s. (Actually less in the real world due to overheads and so forth.)

Where-as PCI-E 5.0 is gaining traction in the PC space (Controllers already exist) which would offer 16GB/s on a typical nVME drive with 4x lanes.
Or get a PCI-E addon card with 16x lanes for a total of 64GB/s.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

dane007 said:
hinch said:

Goes to show how good up-scaling tech has come along. Kinda sad that people try to downplay the resolution when most can't even tell if it is native 4k unless told so. Would definitely prefer the extra fidelity (and performance) over native 4k, just looks insanely good and detailed.

Actually really excited at the prospects that consoles have SSD's as standard.Who knows, maybe high speed SSD's will be requirement (minimum spec) on certain games on PC in the near future.

Native 4k is very noticeable. Its hard to not see the extra clarity that ir provides. Its obvious when a game is upscaled as its not as sharp as native resolution. 

Why cant we have both? Why cant we have amazing visuals, 4k res and good framerate. It just requires a good hardware which is possible as well. The demo was nice. The lighting look right. The game would alot nicer if there was rt in it.

As a question to CGI: can a really fast ssd bridge the gap in game visuals despite having a weaker hardware? 

There is always a tradeback, so a dev will see what is the best balance for them.

And CGI will tell you that the SSD doesn't do any computation so it won't bridge any gap per see. But it being faster to transfer assets will alleviate the burden on the CPU/GPU and that can help a little.

setsunatenshi said:
kirby007 said:

Oh the irony...

The reason they showed with PS5 is because they partnered with Sony to do the demo and also show the improvements PS5 is bringing per Tim Sweeney information.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kirby007 said:
setsunatenshi said:

Oh the irony...

that is only if im wrong,
Epic could have used CGI's or pemalites setups and produced something even more mind boggling, but they didn't, why didnt they, because 1. they got paid and 2. they wanted to show off scalability

I find it interesting this assumption that they got paid, would love to see some proof of that. I would even grant there being a case if they come on some Playstation conference stage (or virtual stage) and did some selling out there.This event was a Epic / Keighley thing and as far as I can tell, Sony wasn't associated with it. No advertisement on the PS Blog or anything.

In the past when Epic would show their engine running on Nvidia / Intel hardware, is that because they were paid to do so? Or is it because a) benefits them to show their engine in the best light possible and b) appealing to the most common platform?

I fail to see what this paying off narrative is all about when this is a 3rd party engine that will run on every platform imaginable (except Commodore 64 I hear) lol