By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to target non-gamers. Will they repeat the Wii?

I don't get why some fly off the handle every time casual or non-gamers/games are mentioned. Nintendo's more "casual" efforts have been quite enjoyable to me (Wii Music notwithstanding). A good game is a good game.. I'm fine with more Nintendogs, 2D Mario, online Wii (Switch) Sports, Big Brain Academy, Switch Party, etc.. Hell I'd take that stuff over a lot of the overly-bloated cinematic AAA stuff. At least these type of games cut through the bs and focus on pure gameplay..

Anyway, this type of software fits the system well, and makes sense if they're in fact going to go more in that direction as the massive Animal Crossing crowd will be looking for somewhere else to go. It also pushes sales, which means more big budgets for Nintendo's big budget titles that they and many of their diehard fans love so much.

The upcoming Clubhouse Games is that sort of mass-market game, as is Brain Age (which isn't out here in the US) but I do think they could do with more.

Additionally, the exact quote from the article with regards to the topic is:

"Nintendo said on Thursday that it will increase its advertising budget during the mid-stage of Switch’s cycle in a bid to reach those who don’t currently play games, Gibson reported."

This could just mean that they're reaching out for more gamers by increasing their advertising efforts. Doesn't necessarily mean their style of games will shift, or even that they'll increase focus on these types of mass-market titles.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Calm your tits people.

They said something similar about wanting to appeal to non-gamers this time in 2018.

It didn't mean they stopped making/publishing games like Smash Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, etc.

It just means every now and then they'll try something like harmless like Ring Fit Adventure.

This, basically. No harm in the occasional casual title if they still make great core games.

Not sure if genuine concern over major misconception or just a crazy spin to get people talking...

It is no different than what it is now.  We get games like Mario Party and Ring fit alongside Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.  I don't see that changing nor do I see core gamers being abandoned.  Especially with the only basis for such a claim being a comment about general advertising rather than game development itself.

Last edited by Shiken - on 09 May 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Leynos said:
Nintendo flip flops on this it seems. A year or so ago they were saying they would not pursue this audience anymore as it's a dried up well. If they do the Wii garbage again I am out. Switch has been the best system since SNES they have made because of they treated it seriously. If they plan to toss that out the window then they deserve all the BS they get.

Relax. A Switch Sports will not negate the existance of BOTW, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Wow! If Nintendo spends money finding new gamers, there's no way they'll keep making good games. It is impossible for them to do those things simultaneously. Gamers are fucked.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I must say that I am impressed. This thread isn't only better than your usual (and therefore lacking) efforts, but it's legitimately executed on a high level.

"Wake up eyes. Open your Link."

It's amazing what you can get away with by disguising things.

Nintendo has been very stealthy and sneaky and they did it by hiding in plain sight.

More people should try and emulate Ninja-tendo.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!