By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to target non-gamers. Will they repeat the Wii?

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendo-will-target-non-gamers-as-switch-enters-the-middle-of-its-life-cycle/

Nintendo has made a statement and everyone is ignoring what was actually said and declaring that Switch is now going to turn into a Wii 2. I thought it'd be interesting to look at what games Nintendo might bring back and the challenges they face making motion control games for a handheld.

Wii Play - Wii Play was great because it came at a discount price, showed off the new controller capabilities and combined it with some classic games. Multiplayer and motion control were a large part of it's success and translating this to a handheld system could be difficult if not impossible to pull off.
If anyone can do it then Nintendo can.

Wii Fit + BB - More motion control but the added accessory makes it difficult to repeat for a portable system. You'd need a back pack just for the balance board alone so ideally Nintendo would come up with something that is more portable and offers more intensity so be a true sequel to Wii Fit.

Wii Sports - Wii Sports is too big a game to just remake. Each sport needs to be taken into account and adapted to make it suitable to handheld play.

Wii Boxing - Wii Boxing isn't really suited to a handheld but every other fighting game is. If Nintendo could offer traditional controls and make Wii Boxing a more traditional fighting game they might be able to pull it off.

Wii Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Bowling - While it might be possible to take a motion control Tennis, Golf and Baseball and change or add some stuff to make it more suited to a handheld, Bowling would be a tough task. A better option would be to take the Wii Sports approach and increase value by adding more games but make them more suited to portable play instead of motion control. Such a challenge would be near impossible to pull off but if anyone could do it, Nintendo could.

I've been bullish on a Switch Sports releasing this year to repeat the unbeatable strategy Nintendo took with Wii v HD Twins. However, given the challenges in making motion control games for a portable, it might be best if they treat the Wii games with the respect they deserve and add them to Nintendo Online with the option of a $40 balance board and $20 Wiimote joycon with a d-pad like they did with NES and SNES controllers.

Given how dumb the cauzelz are, it's possible they're stupid enough to pay $40/yr for the above judging by the price these games still sell for today.

From their POV, it's a pretty small price to pay compared to paying $100 just for HDMI out or $XX to play online with internet friends.

Last edited by Pyro as Bill - on 08 May 2020

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Nintendo flip flops on this it seems. A year or so ago they were saying they would not pursue this audience anymore as it's a dried up well. If they do the Wii garbage again I am out. Switch has been the best system since SNES they have made because of they treated it seriously. If they plan to toss that out the window then they deserve all the BS they get.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

They already are targeting non gamers Labo and Ringfit have been a thing for a while now.

Leynos said:
Nintendo flip flops on this it seems. A year or so ago they were saying they would not pursue this audience anymore as it's a dried up well. If they do the Wii garbage again I am out. Switch has been the best system since SNES they have made because of they treated it seriously. If they plan to toss that out the window then they deserve all the BS they get.

Amen, brother

If they make games trying to convert non-gamers into gamers, then that's fine as long they still developing titles like Super Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Metroid Prime, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem and others on yearly basis

If they want to abandon this installed consumers base and focus on Party games, Motion control games and Dance games then it will time to sell my switch and go for a PS5 in the next two years

Around the Network

The article doesn't mention them focusing more on casual games. Just that they need to advertise more to reach non gamers.

Some of yall are drama queens. This move will be in addition to what they're doing now, not a replacement.

Calm your tits people.

They said something similar about wanting to appeal to non-gamers this time in 2018.

It didn't mean they stopped making/publishing games like Smash Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, etc.

It just means every now and then they'll try something like harmless like Ring Fit Adventure.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 May 2020

curl-6 said:

Calm your tits people.

They said basically the exact same thing this time in 2018.

It didn't mean they stopped making/publishing games like Smash Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, etc.

It just means every now and then they'll try something like harmless like Ring Fit Adventure.

I've heard some disturbing rumours that they plan to introduce the vitality sensor soon. I just pray they don't bring back Wii Music yet.

Umm the OP is taking some serious liberties with what Nintendo actually said. They said nothing about turning Switch into a casual-only system or trying to make it a Wii 2 or bringing back a bunch of Wii games. Literally said nothing about any of that. All they said was they are going to increase advertising to those who don't play. I'm guessing they've seen Animal Crossing become popular with non-gamers so they are going to try to advertise more to that crowd.

That said, I would looooove a Wii Sports remake with online play on the Switch. Other than HD Wind Waker and an HD Metroid Prime Trilogy that is my most desired port / remaster. But anyway, they didn't say anything about the Wii.