By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - The End of Evangelion Movie is trash and makes absolutely zero sense.

What did you think of it?

I haven't watched it. 2 11.11%

It was cool, but made little sense. 6 33.33%

It was cool, and I understood it fine. 6 33.33%

I didn't understand it, and it wasn't cool. 4 22.22%

Total:18
Cerebralbore101 said:
Well shit, apparently I watched the wrong version. Stay away from the Netflix English Dub people! It's trash, and retranslates several key phrases so that plotpoints are lost to vaguery.

I never watched the Netflix eng dub but I did remember reading this article...not sure if it pertains exactly to how you feel.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/neon-genesis-evangelion-netflix-controversy-explained-guide.html

Around the Network

The structure of the show is pretty weird. You can kind of interpret the series and the movie being two different views of the same ending. The series essentially ends by showing you how things play out really specific to Shinji's perspective, largely focusing on his mental state and what is happening in his head.

The movie tells a lot of the same events, but steps back and tells it from a much more broad perspective. This shows what is physically happening throughout the time that Shinji is having his mental breakdown and figuring things out at the end of the series. As such, some plot points relating to Shinji are shown happening again but with a much different context.

But does it all make sense? I mean, kind of but also kind of not. I think you're supposed to feel what happens more than you are supposed to understand it, but all of the things that you are asking "where did this happen" I do think are explained to some extent, or at least heavily implied. It is hard to parse the relevant information from a lot of the crazy shit thats going down, so it definitely takes multiple watches to fully grasp, and even then, it is largely supposed to be interpretive and not exactly literal, so if you are the type of person who needs your story to be straightforward and literal, you aren't going to get that from Eva.

Thats also part of what makes it so amazing in my opinion. I don't think there is anything else like Eva in anime. It is a singular trip with an insane artistic vision and I respect the hell out of it for that.

Evangelion never made sense to begin with. It is on the same patamar as Freezing in my opinion. 

Honestly, it's a good but convoluted Anime. Take out of it what you will.

Thank being said, the Netflix translation is trash. The article V-r0ck posted is pretty good at explaining it!

Cerebralbore101 said:
Well shit, apparently I watched the wrong version. Stay away from the Netflix English Dub people! It's trash, and retranslates several key phrases so that plotpoints are lost to vaguery.

Trust me, the original dub wasn't any better in that regard. Maybe some character motivations are interpreted differently, but the overall plot still made zero sense upon an initial viewing. So much of the technobabble that you just ignore while watching the series turns out to not be technobabble at all, but actually important info. I remember reading the evaboards thinking to myself "oh, so that's what was happening in that one episode!" Nothing is explained well -- or really at all. It takes an insane amount of effort to make sense of anything, which just isn't even worth it unless the show already touched you in some profound way and you're absolutely driven to make sense of a lot of the nonsense.

I still think it's worth watching, because it served as an inspiration for SO much anime that it really gives you a more clear perspective on the entire culture in general. Plus it (and the Rebuild films) features some absolutely top-notch work in terms of animation.

Around the Network

The series has always been more of an interpretive work than litteraly. You gotta to know how to analyze it's content and meaning to understand it's characters psyche and the events following.

Avoid the Netflix translation plz.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

You just need to rewatch it carefully 1000 times to understand what it was about

If you give caviar to some random homeless dude on a street he would spit that shit , call you stupid and ask you for a macdonalds greasy hamburger, with this said , go watch some isekai , shonen or hentai.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
If you give caviar to some random homeless dude on a street he would spit that shit , call you stupid and ask you for a macdonalds greasy hamburger, with this said , go watch some isekai , shonen or hentai.

Well in my case somebody gave me caviar, but doused it in the motor oil called the Netflix english dub. 

I understand that Shonen/Isekai can be overused, and formulaic. But there's also a ton of quality Shonen out there. Dragonball (not Z),  Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, My Hero Academia, Gurren Lagaan, Attack on Titan,  etc.  Too many for me to think of to be honest. (Heck, even NGE is considered a Shonen for the first ten or so episodes.) And a few quality Isekai as well. 

But at the same time, I get your point. There's a lot of junk Shonen out there, and even more junk Isekai. 

But anyway, I'm rewatching the entire series this weekend subbed. I'm convinced that I just watched the wrong version. 

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

And the anime is great to watch if you want to fall asleep.