By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The End of Evangelion Movie is trash and makes absolutely zero sense.

What did you think of it?

I haven't watched it. 2 11.11%

It was cool, but made little sense. 6 33.33%

It was cool, and I understood it fine. 6 33.33%

I didn't understand it, and it wasn't cool. 4 22.22%

Total:18

I want 26 episodes, and one movie of my life back please. This shit is almost as bad as GoT Season 8.

Nothing is explained in this movie. What are the Evas? What is Rei?

Spoiler!
Rei is supposed to be a clone, and an angel, but why was she made? Why does Shinji's dad take her to see Adam again at the bottom of the cavern? Why does she merge with Adam, and grow giant? Then she goes on to have pseudo sex with Shinji's Eva unit, or something like that? And everybody dies, turning into orange goop?

Absolutely none of this shit is explained in the series at all. I watched every episode of Evangelion before watching this movie.

I tried looking up explanations of the movie's plot, which did explain some things. But all of the stuff explained on Evangelion fan Wiki's is never once told to us in the TV show.

Spoiler!
Unit 01 has the soul of Shinji's mom? What episode says that?

The orange goop is the human instrumentality project? What episode says that? Aren't the last two episodes of Evangelion supposed to be Shinji undergoing human instrumentality, and coming out on top? So why the hell is it happening again, in the movie? Why does Shinji fail to save humanity?

Shinji's dad wanted to reunite with Shinji's mom, through human instrumentality? What episode says that?

Adam is Lilith or something? What episode says that? WTF is Lilith?

Adam and Lilith are two different eggs for life? What episode says that?

The Neon Genesis Evangelion series never once says anything about anything that fan Wiki's explain. Fan Wiki's use some random PS2 game as their source of information, because apparently the TV series did a shit job of explaining any crucial plot points.

And since NGE fails to explain its plot points adequately it is trash.

Edit: I did think the imagery was cool, but other than that nothing made sense.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 08 May 2020

Around the Network

It is Evangelion, it never made sense to begin with.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Series really went overboard trying to be more than just mechas vs monsters. Astral Chain did it better. You heard me,not so heavy and doesn't try to be mroe than it is. Then again I'm more Macross kinda of person. OG Only.

Last edited by Leynos - on 08 May 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Well shit, apparently I watched the wrong version. Stay away from the Netflix English Dub people! It's trash, and retranslates several key phrases so that plotpoints are lost to vaguery.

Around the Network

Watching it atm on netflix and i like it.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

The first half of the movie made sense, and was infinitely better than the original ending of the series. It suffered from "the author never really had a plan for an ending".

Personally, I would have ended it as everything returning to normal with the Government having had the troops kill everyone at NERV and then "covering up" the whole saga. They could say that it was a criminal conspiracy with Gendo faking everything to steal money for personal gain, and they could install the government spy Kaji as the "hero who uncovered the plot" before Gendo had him murdered.

You can get fan theories about all of the questions you have about Rei and so forth (she's a clone of Gendo's wife after Gendo's wife died/transcended the next evolution of humans/God-like state via contact with the Evas), but I think fans have thought it through infinitely more than the authors did.  I guess they just couldn't dig themselves out of the plot hole they dug. They probably thought it'd just be a 26 episode monster of the week show when they started.  

Last edited by OneTime - on 08 May 2020

Why watch that when there is a perfectly fine Rebuild of Evangelion?

Complaining about Evangelion not being coherent is like complaining that the eyes on a Picasso painting don't sit right.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Complaining about Evangelion not being coherent is like complaining that the eyes on a Picasso painting don't sit right.

Picasso is a great comparison... although over the years I came to the conclusion that "Eva got lucky and painted 90% of a Picasso painting, then realised they weren't Picasso."

It's still an amazing series though.  The fun is in the journey, and going through frame-by-frame to pick out all of the hints, all of the dialog, and coming up with the hidden meaning.  For many years before the movie, all we knew was "they ran out of time/money and couldn't finish the last three episodes".  Then they made the movie and we discovered "The chamber of Guf is empty".

Cerebralbore101 said:
Well shit, apparently I watched the wrong version. Stay away from the Netflix English Dub people! It's trash, and retranslates several key phrases so that plotpoints are lost to vaguery.

I never watched the Netflix eng dub but I did remember reading this article...not sure if it pertains exactly to how you feel.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/neon-genesis-evangelion-netflix-controversy-explained-guide.html