By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

HollyGamer said:
DonFerrari said:

Not really, several companies don't try photorealism (even ND that invest a lot in graphics have the char in UC4 very stylized)

And on photorealism, on PS3 we already though it was great and nothing else was needed (even on PS2 that seemed the case) but we are always pushing the bar higher.

They don't doesn't mean they cannot. Even if Playstation 9 comes out, if the developer choose not to be photorealistic than the games will just be stylish graphic instead photorealistic (which is i don't mind). And yes there is always be a new bar in each new generation, but the bar will not be noticeable from now on. The problem is not the technology it self or the spec, but more of our limitation on seeing a higher resolution more than 16K. In games we don't need an artist rendering every atom and particle of our skin. So the goal on physical based rendering already achieved (except it just need a proper Ray Tracing)

But the point to my comment is we are already in the situation where photorealism on gaming will be hard to notice on each generation onward. Instead Developer will strive for physics and world interaction to create a living world and also they will focus on AI and simulation. There is so much to improve on games and that's not just photo realisme. 

Yeah we're not even close to photorealism on consoles. Wake me up when consoles reach Pixar quality of animation.

This is photorealism. Granted it takes millions of dollars and hundreds of man hours to produce.

This is pretty interesting video, if you want to delve into photorealism

Around the Network
hinch said:
HollyGamer said:

They don't doesn't mean they cannot. Even if Playstation 9 comes out, if the developer choose not to be photorealistic than the games will just be stylish graphic instead photorealistic (which is i don't mind). And yes there is always be a new bar in each new generation, but the bar will not be noticeable from now on. The problem is not the technology it self or the spec, but more of our limitation on seeing a higher resolution more than 16K. In games we don't need an artist rendering every atom and particle of our skin. So the goal on physical based rendering already achieved (except it just need a proper Ray Tracing)

But the point to my comment is we are already in the situation where photorealism on gaming will be hard to notice on each generation onward. Instead Developer will strive for physics and world interaction to create a living world and also they will focus on AI and simulation. There is so much to improve on games and that's not just photo realisme. 

Yeah we're not even close to photorealism on consoles. Wake me up when consoles reach Pixar quality of animation.

This is photorealism. Granted it takes millions of dollars and hundreds of man hours to produce.

This is pretty interesting video, if you want to delve into photorealism

That's CGI , games does not required to render every atom and particle of each object. Current gen hardware can already achieve cheap way to render the graphic  for gaming purpose. 

I would rather see 60fps

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

HollyGamer said:
DonFerrari said:

Pixel count is just a small portion of photorealism, and we can certainly notice a lot of difference from the models at fullHD from game to game. Just compare the facial model between three great games like HZD, UC4 and Detroit. You'll still easily see how much better Detroit is and they are all rendered at similar pixel count.

But geometry, polygons, texture, and several other effects are still improving a lot. Don't worry when gen 9 really starts to blow you'll be able to see the difference to Killzone or Infamous Second Son.

Yes PS3 to PS4 is the peak evolution, we still can see the difference. But from PS5 to PS6 onward , we will just be seeing increasing of resolution and performance  , the rest of the hardware probably will be  focusing rendering the amount of object or character in one area.

If you want to see the end goal of photo realism is,  just look at  FF7 remake character model that has the same quality with the CG model in FMV CG scene or Resident Evil 8 in game model character which already using photo geometry using real human model

I don't know what else we can achieve beyond realism, current gen can already render realistic model with the exact same features . What only lacking this gen is proper lighting (Ray Tracing ) and animation and also proper physics and simulation . 

I will just say that you need to look CGI thread to see how much of a jump we are going to have.

Sure every gen the jump seem smaller because there is the ceiling (that we will still take decades to achieve) but sure everytime we get nearer there is less road to cover. But it is still very noticeable. And I'm not even thinking about the bad stuff like pop ups, collision and things like that.

I have seem the CGs from FF7 and I can still easily see the gap. Even if my relatives when I'm gaming ever since PS3 ask if I'm watching a movie.

Once we really achieve photorealism we will still have other stuff to achieve. We are at something similar to people going from B&W tv to color tv thinking they didn't need anything more and it wouldn't be possible to improve that 21" CRT because they were already seeing images that were life like.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

xl-klaudkil said:
I would rather see 60fps

Then only PC will suffice for you because you can decide what you want to prioritize. On consoles there will always be a big chunky of devs that preffer to put more pixels or IQ and keep fps at 30.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
CGI-Quality said:

It isn't. Graphics aren't anywhere close to the ceiling.

Yeah, but at what point it doesn't make sense to pursue more graphics? Making great graphics is great and time consuming, and at certain point most people are not going to care above a certain level of detail. How viable is the continued increase of graphical capabilities after a while?

That's the thing, power also decreases time of development.  A lot of time gets wasted with optimising the game for a console. See how much time it takes to port a game over to the Switch.

But Ray tracing is huge;

DonFerrari said:
HollyGamer said:

Yes PS3 to PS4 is the peak evolution, we still can see the difference. But from PS5 to PS6 onward , we will just be seeing increasing of resolution and performance  , the rest of the hardware probably will be  focusing rendering the amount of object or character in one area.

If you want to see the end goal of photo realism is,  just look at  FF7 remake character model that has the same quality with the CG model in FMV CG scene or Resident Evil 8 in game model character which already using photo geometry using real human model

I don't know what else we can achieve beyond realism, current gen can already render realistic model with the exact same features . What only lacking this gen is proper lighting (Ray Tracing ) and animation and also proper physics and simulation . 

I will just say that you need to look CGI thread to see how much of a jump we are going to have.

Sure every gen the jump seem smaller because there is the ceiling (that we will still take decades to achieve) but sure everytime we get nearer there is less road to cover. But it is still very noticeable. And I'm not even thinking about the bad stuff like pop ups, collision and things like that.

I have seem the CGs from FF7 and I can still easily see the gap. Even if my relatives when I'm gaming ever since PS3 ask if I'm watching a movie.

Once we really achieve photorealism we will still have other stuff to achieve. We are at something similar to people going from B&W tv to color tv thinking they didn't need anything more and it wouldn't be possible to improve that 21" CRT because they were already seeing images that were life like.

Yes we will have big jump, but from PS5 to PS6 i doubt we will see another jump. I am talking about general evolution onward. Also what lacking in this gen is just Ray Tracing , the rest requirement for photorealism already been achieved (like physically based rendering) . So if next gen (PS5) can achieve RT then we already in the realm of photorealism.   

HollyGamer said:

That's CGI , games does not required to render every atom and particle of each object. Current gen hardware can already achieve cheap way to render the graphic  for gaming purpose. 

Exactly, so are all computer graphics look at how far we've come from CGI in movies from 10-20 years ago. Techniques get passed down and technology moves on. We are nowhere near photo realistic graphics. Just look at the art and animations created in blender its astonishing like real life in some cases.

Anyway watch the below video, its a good explanation to what photorealism means today.

hinch said:
HollyGamer said:

Exactly, so are all computer graphics look at how far we've come from CGI in movies from 10-20 years ago. Techniques get passed down and technology moves on. We are nowhere near photo realistic graphics. Just look at the art and animations created in blender its astonishing like real life in some cases.

Anyway watch the below video, its a good explanation to what photorealism means today.

Simple answer yes we already here , those graphic can now be produce on PS5 and Xbox series X . Also the answer is the lightning , to be proper photorealism it required real time lightning based on natural light A.K.A Ray Tracing. And yes we now have RT on next gen. So PS5  to PS6 will not be about photorealism i assume.  There are other thing to make game realistic beyond photo realism, which are animation , AI, Physics , weather, living world etc. 

Considering that gaming is a visual medium, and that graphics (along with art style) are the first things you'll notice when being introduced to any new game ever.....yes, I care about graphics, and I want them to continue to improve. Not only do better visuals improve immersion, but also it's just cool to see devs continue to push the boundaries of what tech can do. I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing them bring environments, and characters to life in ways that years prior, you could only dream about. That's cool.