By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

scottslater said:
Focus on "photo realistic" graphics is a rabbit hole not worth chasing. These games never hold up over time, and I for one would rather want to boot up a game in 5 years like BotW, Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc. The art direction of these games will allow them to hold up better over time and with a bigger focus on GAMEPLAY they are a superior experience over the rinse and repeat cycle of Microsoft/Sony IPs. And besides, if you want a focus on graphics, go PC.

Wrong.

A great bunch of the market likes the graphics and photo realism.

And games are made to sell and play during the gen not in 30 years, because in 30 years there will be new games and could be on the same franchise or remakes.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I think the extra power will come in handy in expanding the experiences we already have. Good textures without pop-in, more complex AI and generated content, more complex environmental systems and simulations, even better lighting.
It'll make for more impressive games for sure, but every console generation shows more impressive games longer in the generation and this generation will be no different.

CGI-Quality said:
scottslater said:
Focus on "photo realistic" graphics is a rabbit hole not worth chasing. These games never hold up over time, and I for one would rather want to boot up a game in 5 years like BotW, Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc. The art direction of these games will allow them to hold up better over time and with a bigger focus on GAMEPLAY they are a superior experience over the rinse and repeat cycle of Microsoft/Sony IPs. And besides, if you want a focus on graphics, go PC.

Eh, beyond the fact that no game is truly photoreal (and developers are actually not chasing that), claiming that the more realistic style visuals don't hold up just isn't true. Plenty of games from the 360/PS3 era hold up nicely today, and as graphics get even better, that will continue to be the case. Games that are more stylized also hold up well, but both can be true without trampling the craft of one of them.

Any examples, because I cant think of a single ps360 game with realistic graphics that looks good now. The last of us is considered one of the best looking games of that gen and it's pretty ugly now.

It is funny that on the same thread we have people saying that they didn't got impressed with graphics improvement since PS1 came around, others saying that the jump from PS3 to PS4 was almost indiferent and that the jump to PS5 will be even less relevant while at the same time we have TLOU as being very ugly.... Funny stuff indeed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

CGI-Quality said:
pikashoe said:

Any examples, because I cant think of a single ps360 game with realistic graphics that looks good now. The last of us is considered one of the best looking games of that gen and it's pretty ugly now.

God of War III
Beyond: Two Souls
Crysis 3
Killzone 2

Even GT5 holds up well. You're free to disagree, of course, but those games have aged well and gaming outlets tend to agree.

I'll give you crysis 3 although it runs terribly on last gen consoles and GT5, the rest definitely not. Killzone 2 is particularly baffling to me. GOW and Beyond have very good character models but environments really show there age.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
It is funny that on the same thread we have people saying that they didn't got impressed with graphics improvement since PS1 came around, others saying that the jump from PS3 to PS4 was almost indiferent and that the jump to PS5 will be even less relevant while at the same time we have TLOU as being very ugly.... Funny stuff indeed.

I feel like you are exaggerating people's points. There is obviously a difference between ps3 and ps4, but to many people it doesn't have the wow factor that other jumps have had. Who said TLOU looks very ugly, I know I said it looks pretty ugly, which I'll admit was probably too harsh on my behalf. It looks ok, but not great by today's standards.

CGI-Quality said:
pikashoe said:

I'll give you crysis 3 although it runs terribly on last gen consoles and GT5, the rest definitely not. Killzone 2 is particularly baffling to me. GOW and Beyond have very good character models but environments really show there age.

Like I said, you can disagree, but many do no and I agree with those titles having aged well. No, not every single aspect, but not deal breakers either.

And yes, this includes Killzone 2, as DF eloquently put it

Your points seem contradictory, your saying that last gen realistic games look fine and hold up fine but that the leaps between gens are massive and massive improvements are yet to be seen. 

pikashoe said:
DonFerrari said:

I feel like you are exaggerating people's points. There is obviously a difference between ps3 and ps4, but to many people it doesn't have the wow factor that other jumps have had. Who said TLOU looks very ugly, I know I said it looks pretty ugly, which I'll admit was probably too harsh on my behalf. It looks ok, but not great by today's standards.

Not exaggerating anyones. Just look at the thread and you'll see exactly that, people saying they haven't been impressed with graphics improvement since PS1. Others said for them the fidelity level of PS3 was enough. You saying TLOU is pretty ugly (which is totally different than it not being great by today standards, which again just show that we have significant jump), others saying that the jump from PS3 to PS4 was minimal, others saying they don't expect a jump on PS5. We even had developers saying they don't expect a significant graphical jump (mostly because their games are unimpressive on this and would look almost like PS3 games anyway).

Perhaps these people were exaggerating and I just said what they said. For me yes I can see that the jumps look less impressive at every gen, but it is quite easy to see the jumps and how much improvement we have been getting every gen. Myself I can't really get pleased playing most last gen or older game except for a few I love, some 2D games that the graphics are simplistic so doesn't look bad (but I don't put more than 0,5% of my time on those).

I look to the future and haven't been disappointed with the AAA games improvements so far.

CGI-Quality said:
pikashoe said:

Your points seem contradictory, your saying that last gen realistic games look fine and hold up fine but that the leaps between gens are massive and massive improvements are yet to be seen. 

Hmmm.... the contradictions rest in your court, I'm afraid. First, you said you hadn't seen even one game from the 360/PS3 era that held up, which I refuted. You then went on to agree that there were a few that do (eliminating Killzone 2) and I used that link to support that it should be included.

So..... not only did I say nothing about "massive leaps" in this discussion, they are irrelevant to the point about 360/PS3 games.

I said i couldn't think of any, not that there weren't any and I asked you for examples, in what world is that contradicting myself. 

I may be wrong but I thought you said in this thread that the leaps between gens are substantial. I mean when it comes to realism it kind of does have relevance though. Ps360 games that aim for realism look less realistic than modern games therefore they don't hold up. Realistic graphics have always suffered from becoming outdated quickly. 

CGI-Quality said:
pikashoe said:

I said i couldn't think of any, not that there weren't any and I asked you for examples, in what world is that contradicting myself. 

I may be wrong but I thought you said in this thread that the leaps between gens are substantial. I mean when it comes to realism it kind of does have relevance though. Ps360 games that aim for realism look less realistic than modern games therefore they don't hold up. Realistic graphics have always suffered from becoming outdated quickly. 

There can be substantial gains in a new gen and still have old games hold up. Very few would have argued against the Resident Evil games on the GameCube holding up in the 360/PS3 era, for example and for good reason.

And yeah, no shit current realistic looking games look better than the 360/PS3 ones, but that doesn't mean that some of the older ones don't hold up. 

Finally, I argued against the idea that graphics couldn't be improved upon (way back in the first page), not that there were "massive leaps" ahead (even though that would still be irrelevant to what you originally quoted if I had).

Do those games look real to you?