By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Presents First Look At Xbox Series X Gameplay" - Let's Rate Inside Xbox Show

Tagged games:

Rate the shows

Legendary 3 2.97%

Amaizing 6 5.94%

Great 5 4.95%

It's OK 38 37.62%

It's bad 49 48.51%

Total:101

Man, what is with this obsession some people have with the word "AAA" and acting like a game only matters if it's either that or a certain genre and that anything else immediately doesn't count and is "lesser" as a result. This is the same thing with people who constantly shit on Xbox first party games but then conveniently leave out Forza Horizon 3 & 4 because they're "just racing games" as if that makes them somehow not equal or the same level as others?

The fact that there are so many hilariously dumb hot takes like "they were all only smaller games", "just AA games", "indie games", etc.... literally based on what? Because they actually bothered to show different genres and have actual variety in the games they showed instead of constant 3rd Person Story Driven Single Player Games(TM)? or whatever people wanna define as "AAA" now? (I mention that one specifically because it's obviously what a lot of people think about when they mention AAA now". Does knowing that Bright Memory Infinite is being developed by one person somehow affect your ability to enjoy it or look at it critically? Are people not allowed to be excited for The Ascent because god forbid it's a shoot em up and that inherently makes it lesser or smaller somehow? We could get a fucking remaster of Cars: The Video Game from 2006 (which I would buy day one), which can easily be a huge game for some people because what's what they're all meant to do: appeal to different people and not just only have one certain one as "the big one". Now that Xbox is trying to showcase variety to show how there's something for everyone it's a problem? At one point people (probably the same people) complained that Xbox had TOO MUCH of the same stuff.

The immediate dismissal of some of these just because they aren't all the same thing is so disgusting, and I truly feel bad for anyone who thinks this way unironically.

The show wasn't great, they definitely messed up the messaging by saying it was gameplay then showing almost nothing but trailers, but I really liked the variety of the games they showed and I would gladly take shows like this more than ones that just have all the same shit, and it's absurd that people are acting like that's a bad thing. I really liked Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, those were probably the highlights for me. You couldn't pay me to play Scorn though, that shit would make me feel sick. 

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
thismeintiel said:

Not looking too good as public reception goes. I will say a couple of those games looked interesting, but nothing screamed "next gen game that needs a $500+ 12 Tflops console to play."

Sitting at 43up, 32 down.

The third comment I see (with 1.3K upvotes) says "Anyone else notice that 10k dislikes just vanished?"

Interesting indeed...

The_Liquid_Laser said:
dane007 said:

Medium is also exclusive to xbox series x. This was meant to be third party. All the first party Is in July. Its not what we expected but we at least got to see something. Sony hasn't done anything apart from showing controller and their specs. 

The Medium is also going to be on XBox1."At the time of writing, The Medium is only confirmed for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X release during holiday 2020."
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/05/07/bloober-team-new-game-the-medium/

Also, I'm not down with "at least we got to see something".  I like when a reveal is actually a reveal.  I am used to a presentation where they show the hardware, give the specs, give the price, and show off exclusive/next gen games all in the same presentation.  That is what we've always gotten in the past.  That is what I expect.  Now Microsoft is just dangling a carrot in front of everyone's face when they really have nothing to show.  This presentation really sucked.

There is this old saying, "Those who know, don't say, and those who say, don't know."  Well this is a lot like that, only it's "those who have something to show don't say, and those who say don't have anything to show."  Microsoft is saying a whole lot, but they really don't have anything impressive to show.  They trickle out info and hype it to death, but it's really a lot of nothing, just like this presentation.  Sony is holding their cards really close to their chest.  They means they have something great to show, at least they think it's great.  Microsoft doesn't even think their product is great, so we get a constant, fluffy, marketing blitz instead.

MS is also holding plenty of cards close to their chest. Have they released anything on their first-party games? We don't even know a confirmed launch lineup, price, features of either system. We can't even pre-order the thing. I disagree greatly by that last line. It's a great product, no doubt. Digital Foundry, influencers, media who've had a hands-on will tell you that much. By this same logic, Stadia has been pretty silent, so I guess they must be making a killing right now and have plenty of great things planned!

Not to demean Sony or their PS5, which I very much do look forward to, but Sony have revealed they set their estimated PS5 sales at 5-6millions compared to 7.5 millions PS4 in the first quarter. This is despite PS4's launch lineup not even being particularly great either. Already there, at least to me, that doesn't really scream: "this'll be a killer launch, and we'll have a killer lineup".  To me, everything from PS5's marketing, from the Bloomberg articles, all of it have told me to keep expectations reasonable and get hyped, but not too hyped. MS is taking a different approach, and this time (only this time so far), it bit them back.

Last edited by hiccupthehuman - on 08 May 2020

Blood_Tears said:
thismeintiel said:

Not looking too good as public reception goes. I will say a couple of those games looked interesting, but nothing screamed "next gen game that needs a $500+ 12 Tflops console to play."

It was way worse yesterday. It was taken down and reuploaded yesterday to erase the initial downvotes. The first vid was 3 times worse. 

They do that with every livestream. The livestream event was like 2 hours long. They just reupload the 27:45 minutes of actual footage. This isn't some conspiracy to hide likes. If it was, they'd just disable likes/dislikes altogether. They do that with their E3 livestream too where they get a good percentages of likes.

hiccupthehuman said:
Bandorr said:

Sitting at 43up, 32 down.

The third comment I see (with 1.3K upvotes) says "Anyone else notice that 10k dislikes just vanished?"

Interesting indeed...

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The Medium is also going to be on XBox1."At the time of writing, The Medium is only confirmed for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X release during holiday 2020."
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/05/07/bloober-team-new-game-the-medium/

Also, I'm not down with "at least we got to see something".  I like when a reveal is actually a reveal.  I am used to a presentation where they show the hardware, give the specs, give the price, and show off exclusive/next gen games all in the same presentation.  That is what we've always gotten in the past.  That is what I expect.  Now Microsoft is just dangling a carrot in front of everyone's face when they really have nothing to show.  This presentation really sucked.

There is this old saying, "Those who know, don't say, and those who say, don't know."  Well this is a lot like that, only it's "those who have something to show don't say, and those who say don't have anything to show."  Microsoft is saying a whole lot, but they really don't have anything impressive to show.  They trickle out info and hype it to death, but it's really a lot of nothing, just like this presentation.  Sony is holding their cards really close to their chest.  They means they have something great to show, at least they think it's great.  Microsoft doesn't even think their product is great, so we get a constant, fluffy, marketing blitz instead.

MS is also holding plenty of cards close to their chest. Have they released anything on their first-party games? We don't even know a confirmed launch lineup, price, features of either system. I disagree greatly by that last line. It's a great product, no doubt. Digital Foundry, people who've had a hands-on will tell you that much. By this same logic, Stadia has been pretty silent, so I guess they must be making a killing right now and have plenty of great things planned!

Not to demean Sony or their PS5, which I very much do look forward to, but Sony has set their estimated PS5 sales at 5-6millions compared to 7.5 millions PS4 in the first quarter. This is despite PS4's launch lineup not even being particularly great either. Already there, at least to me, that doesn't really scream: "this'll be a killer launch, and we'll have a killer lineup".  To me, everything from PS5's marketing, from the leaked Bloomberg articles, all of it have told me to keep expectations reasonable and not get too hyped. MS is taking a different approach, and this time (only this time so far), it bit them back.

Stadia has already launched.  There is no need for them to hold cards any more.  And I seem to recall xCloud revealing before Stadia, and it was even a bigger joke.  Microsoft has a long track record of trying to hype up their latest product only to have it be disappointing in the end.  Microsoft is great at marketing, but they are bad at actually making quality products.

So, I agree they are still holding cards to their chest, because they haven't really revealed anything yet.  This presentation sucked and the Digital Foundry "reveal" sucked.  Based on this track record I can only conclude that it all sucks.  Every little Series X reveal is going to suck.  If they had something good to show, they would hype it.  Microsoft are the masters of hype.  If they can hype total crap like this presentation, then they can definitely hype when they have something good.  But since they don't have anything good, then they are going to hype this crap instead.

setsunatenshi said:
sales2099 said:

I meant first party. Still officially at 0. If we talking 3rd party Xbox has The Medium, Scorn, Call of Sea, The Ascent  which aren’t on PS5But even then Godfall looks like a solid 70s metascore. Good but nothing special. 

Bullshit, there is no confirmation any of those are actual exclusives yet. Since when has MS been shy about labeling "Console exclusive" before in their presentations?  Or even "first on Xbox" to confirm timed exclusivity?

Medium is the only one that was confirmed. There's an interview article with the developers and they said its xbox series x exclusive and PC. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
dane007 said:

That's interesting as Eurogamer did an interview with the game developer and they said it's just xbox series x and pc. Here's the article https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-07-layers-of-fear-dev-bloober-talks-its-xbox-series-x-survival-horror-throwback-the-medium.

The system details has been mentioned by Ms that it will be next month and the first party reveal in July. That's when u get the price. This event was to allow third party show off their games that will come on xbox series x. It won't be much different if it was Sony doing it. It's not what we expected but we got something. Better something than nothing. Sony hasn't done anything apart from specs talk and pic of a controller. 

That link only leads to a 404 error.  Could you try again?

Your second paragraph basically ignores everything I said and just restates your own points.  Let me do the opposite and acknowledge what you are saying.  To restate it you are saying, "Yes, Microsoft's presentation sucked hard.  And they are going to give us two more sucky presentations.  If Sony was doing a presentation, then it would suck hard too.  But we don't even get a sucky presentation Sony.  You hear that Sony?  Where is your sucky presentation, huh?"

What I am saying is the opposite.  I don't want a sucky presentation.  No presentation is actually better than a bunch of sucky ones like Microsoft is giving us.  I am very content to actually wait for a good presentation where they tell us everything at once.  That is what these companies have always done in the past. 

On top of that all of these sucky presentations from Microsoft are a smoke screen.  They are trying to make it seem like they have something great when they really have nothing.  What does it look like when a company has something great?  They hold their cards close to their chest.  This is what Sony is doing.  Sony, at least internally, thinks they have something great, so they are keeping it secret to wait for a big reveal.  Microsoft has no big reveal.  That is why we get all of these sucky presentations that are a bunch of nothing.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-07-layers-of-fear-dev-bloober-talks-its-xbox-series-x-survival-horror-throwback-the-medium

Hope this link works. We don't know if the other two will be like the one yesterday. The next one is all about the system. The games you saw apart from medium are all multiplatform titles. It will probably look the same on all consoles. 

They were just giving third party a chance to showcase what they have. Some don't get a chance to have that kind of exposure. 

Last edited by dane007 - on 08 May 2020

CGI-Quality said:
⚠️

I already see that this is turning into a MS vs Sony situation, triggering needless wars. Let's drop that discussion and put the focus back on the topic.

What did u think of the inside xbox show yesterday? 

setsunatenshi said:
dane007 said:

I did say my pc monitor is 4k 144hz. That alone would be small. I don't have that for a TV but only when.more games use it and not just dirt 5. In that time I can use my monitor lol. But yes most people might not get it at start but I hear in alot of countries u can get a really cheap deal for 4k when there's black Friday sale. Perfect time to get both.

From memory it was shown for medium as that was the only third party exclusive. Rest wasn't lol. I know but if nd does what they did with last of us then they will for part 2. I can't wait. Wish I can time travel to July!

I am sure Ms will show more gameplay but they don't want to show all their hands before sony show theirs. That's just a guess. 

Yeah 4K tvs are affordable, however not 4K + HDR + 120+Hz. It will be a few years until they are if we're being honest and I guess both of us are fringe cases. I would love to spend $1k+ on a new console every generation to assure it's as powerful as it can be, but the masses seem to be allergic to $400 and above kind of prices, while paying 3 times that for a phone every 2 years or so. It is what it is unfortunately...

Yea I wouldnt know what the cost for that would be. I know in nz 4k + hdr tvs are super cheap.  Same I love technology and always gets excited when new generation of Consoles arrive. Yea exactly. It doesn't make sense but it happens. Are u going to get both next gen Console? 

dane007 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That link only leads to a 404 error.  Could you try again?

Your second paragraph basically ignores everything I said and just restates your own points.  Let me do the opposite and acknowledge what you are saying.  To restate it you are saying, "Yes, Microsoft's presentation sucked hard.  And they are going to give us two more sucky presentations.  If Sony was doing a presentation, then it would suck hard too.  But we don't even get a sucky presentation Sony.  You hear that Sony?  Where is your sucky presentation, huh?"

What I am saying is the opposite.  I don't want a sucky presentation.  No presentation is actually better than a bunch of sucky ones like Microsoft is giving us.  I am very content to actually wait for a good presentation where they tell us everything at once.  That is what these companies have always done in the past. 

On top of that all of these sucky presentations from Microsoft are a smoke screen.  They are trying to make it seem like they have something great when they really have nothing.  What does it look like when a company has something great?  They hold their cards close to their chest.  This is what Sony is doing.  Sony, at least internally, thinks they have something great, so they are keeping it secret to wait for a big reveal.  Microsoft has no big reveal.  That is why we get all of these sucky presentations that are a bunch of nothing.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-07-layers-of-fear-dev-bloober-talks-its-xbox-series-x-survival-horror-throwback-the-medium

Hope this link works. We don't know if the other two will be like the one yesterday. The next one is all about the system. The games you saw apart from medium are all multiplatform titles. It will probably look the same on all consoles. 

They were just giving third party a chance to showcase what they have. Some don't get a chance to have that kind of exposure. 

This link works.   I checked a third site and it said Series X and PC only.  Looks like my first link was wrong.  I'll bump the presentation up to two since it actually showed 2 exclusives from what I can tell.  2 out of 10 (still not too great)

I watched it again today to see how I felt about it. My biggest grip is how much they hyped up AC Valhalla and barely showed any gameplay. I think that is what most people are annoyed with when it comes to the show. If they showed a solid 2-3 minutes of solid gameplay of AC, I think most peoples reaction would have been much more positive. All the other games they showed look great to me and there was plenty of diversity. The use of smart delivery for most of the games is a positive in my book, especially when all of them are within the launch window of the series X.