Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly results May 7th 2020 - Switch: 55.77m, (21m for the FY) Animal Crossing: 11.77m

Slownenberg said:
rapsuperstar31 said:
When these 4 games came out, I was hoping for better sales. The sales are great, but not top tier by Nintendo standards. I hope they sold enough to get sequels, and more Zelda remakes. I know Fire Emblem is a somewhat niche game, but easily my favorite game on the Switch.

Luigi’s Mansion 3: 6.33m (0.96)
Super Mario Maker 2: 5.48m (0.40)
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening: 4.38m (0.19)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses: 2.87m (0.29)

I think Luigi's Mansion is selling incredibly well! Don't see how you could be disappointed in a Luigi's Mansion game that is easily gonna surpass 10 million! It's not one of Nintendo's mega franchises so easily beating 10 million is incredible!

Link's Awakening is a bit disappointing given that it was over 3 million in like the first 11 days or whatever. I guess just everyone who wanted it pretty much got it at launch. As cool as it is, you also have to realize its a remake of a pretty short GAMEBOY game, and its selling at full price! Taking that into account and the Zelda franchise's pre-BotW sales and the fact that it will eventually break 5 million is actually fantastic!

Fire Emblem I know nothing about haha so won't comment but I didn't think that was a big selling franchise so those numbers seem pretty good to me.

Super Mario Maker 2 is the real disappointment of this list. That's a game that it would seem like it should fly over 10 million easily and fairly quickly and instead it'll be lucky if it gets close to 10 million when all is said and done.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is already the best-selling game in its series. All four mentioned games have sold comfortably enough to warrant sequels or in the case of Link's Awakening, more remakes of old Zelda games.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
MuchoJose said:
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi's Crafted World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

No update about those? I am super curious

Yeah no idea why those weren't listed when even the likes of Astral Chain were.

I'd also quite like to know how much Yoshi sold.

Only games that shipped 1m+ copies during the fiscal year are listed. Kirby and Donkey Kong Country had dropped to ~0.15m per quarter before entering the fiscal year ending March 2020 and at that pace 1m+ aren't happening even with a holiday boost. Yoshi launched at the end of the preceding fiscal year, so only its initial shipment of 1.11m is known; its commercial reception wasn't as good as Kirby's and DKC's (going by software charts of various countries), so it dropped to too low numbers quicker.

Astral Chain released during the fiscal year that just ended, made its million and this was the last time we will have heard of it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

curl-6 said:
MuchoJose said:
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi's Crafted World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

No update about those? I am super curious

Yeah no idea why those weren't listed when even the likes of Astral Chain were.

I'd also quite like to know how much Yoshi sold.

Rol explained it but yeah, only titles published by them can appear in their current fiscal quarterly report while million selling titles during the fiscal year can have a mention in their yearly fiscal report.

Be glad, we'll get XC DE report for the next fiscal quarters since it releases in Q1 !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Marth said:

Nintendo Switch

Hardware: 55.77million units
Software: 356.24million units

Nintendo 3DS

Hardware: 75.77million units
Software: 383.11million units

Switch will beat 3DS total Software easily this year lol

It's also on the verge of passing GBA (377m) and SNES (379m) in total software sales, after just 3 years.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Glad that Astral chain and UA3 sold 1 million but sad that Daemon X Machina didn't do so well. Other than that, these games are beasts. Ring fit adventure is just getting started and Animal Crossing is beast mode while Mario Kart 8 deluxe will probably sell millions more. Splatoon 2 finally at 10 mil like it deserves and Zelda outselling pokemon and Mario 3d.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Stock price is down over 5% after earnings. They are clearly doomed.

Ot.Thanks for the update

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch software is on fire.  Switch hardware is on fire too.  This is like NES and SNES days.  Their core IP is what is selling like crazy.  The Wii had to invent new games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit to sell big.  The DS even had big new IP like Nintendogs and Brain Age.  Sure Switch has new games like this too (1-2 Switch, etc...), but that isn't what is really selling.  Just look at how many games they have that are already "best selling in the series":

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (18.84m)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (17.41m)
Super Mario Odyssey (17.41m) - best 3D mario
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (13.41m)
Splatoon 2 (10.31m)
Super Mario Party (10.1m)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (6.33m)
Super Mario Maker 2 (5.48m)

That is already 8 games which are the best selling in their series, and on top of that Mario Kart 8 D and Fire Emblem 3 Houses both stand a decent chance to claim that title too.  Switch software is really firing on all cylinders.  These aren't 1-system wonders like Brain Age created to sell to a brand new audience.  This is all established Nintendo IP.  Nintendo is making their core games to become top sellers: Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, etc....  

And here is the thing.  Software sells hardware.  It is baffling to me how some people can be so bearish on Switch hardware sales.  It is the software that is selling at amazing levels.  If so many titles are selling at unprecedented numbers, then what does that say about hardware?  Unprecedented software sales logically lead to unprecedented hardware sales.  It's pretty simple really.

Yep, with that catalog of software already available in a short period of time the hardware will maintain strong sales for the next 3+ years.  Add in that less and less people seem to be impressed by Sony and Microsoft right now and I could really see the Switch having 3 years in a row of 20+ million hardware unit sales, possibly 4!

Nintendo with the Switch:

Dyotropic said:
All the games with over 10 million copies sold have received DLC except super mario party. The one game that needed DLC the most.

Odyssey didn't get a DLC. Nor MK8D. Nor Pokémon Let's Go.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

scottslater said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch software is on fire.  Switch hardware is on fire too.  This is like NES and SNES days.  Their core IP is what is selling like crazy.  The Wii had to invent new games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit to sell big.  The DS even had big new IP like Nintendogs and Brain Age.  Sure Switch has new games like this too (1-2 Switch, etc...), but that isn't what is really selling.  Just look at how many games they have that are already "best selling in the series":

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (18.84m)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (17.41m)
Super Mario Odyssey (17.41m) - best 3D mario
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (13.41m)
Splatoon 2 (10.31m)
Super Mario Party (10.1m)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (6.33m)
Super Mario Maker 2 (5.48m)

That is already 8 games which are the best selling in their series, and on top of that Mario Kart 8 D and Fire Emblem 3 Houses both stand a decent chance to claim that title too.  Switch software is really firing on all cylinders.  These aren't 1-system wonders like Brain Age created to sell to a brand new audience.  This is all established Nintendo IP.  Nintendo is making their core games to become top sellers: Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, etc....  

And here is the thing.  Software sells hardware.  It is baffling to me how some people can be so bearish on Switch hardware sales.  It is the software that is selling at amazing levels.  If so many titles are selling at unprecedented numbers, then what does that say about hardware?  Unprecedented software sales logically lead to unprecedented hardware sales.  It's pretty simple really.

Yep, with that catalog of software already available in a short period of time the hardware will maintain strong sales for the next 3+ years.  Add in that less and less people seem to be impressed by Sony and Microsoft right now and I could really see the Switch having 3 years in a row of 20+ million hardware unit sales, possibly 4!

I'm not sure if the next-gen consoles will affect the Switch or vice versa. What will be interesting is how will sales go for the first year, at least. The economy, at least in the US, has been significantly affected by COVID-19, with millions of people filing for unemployment. Businesses are affected. Income is not as plentiful and some are forced to use some of their savings, if they have any, to get by. It will take some time for the economy to recover, especially if businesses are going to have limited services. This is not like the recession back in the late-2000s. I'm not sure if people, with the current economy, are willing to shell out $500 + $60 game(s).

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 08 May 2020