By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Game From The Year You Were Born?

Looking at the game released that year, the best game was probably Bomberman. Not entirely sure of all the games released that year.

Mario Bros was released that year but it was the first Mario game with just the single screen, so not the best game. Super Mario didn't come out until 1985.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Born in 1976, so there wasn't much more than arcade games, do they count? Well, it seems there was a game called Colossal Cave Adventure for the PDP-10 computer(?). Guess I'll go with that. It's a text-based adventure game. Yay.

I dunno, Backgammon maybe? This thread reminds me of just how old I am.

shikamaru317 said:
I was born in 1989. Looking at the list of games I see Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star 2, and Golden Axe, all 3 good games, hard to pick between those 3. I think I'll go with Revenge of Shinobi though.

You're forgetting an excellent game and my pick for game of my birthyear: Super Mario Land.
I loved this game as a kid, played the heck out of it, and still have a virtual console copy downloaded onto my 3DS.

Tough choice between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario RPG.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
psychicscubadiver said:

You're forgetting an excellent game and my pick for game of my birthyear: Super Mario Land.
I loved this game as a kid, played the heck out of it, and still have a virtual console copy downloaded onto my 3DS.

I was a Sega Kid growing up, never much cared for Mario. Super Mario Land is the Gameboy Mario isn't it? I saw that on the 1989 list when I was looking. 

Yes, it's the Gameboy one. I was a Nintendo kid, so Mario was a big chunk of what I played. Now you've got me curious about those Sega game given that Golden Axe was pretty good and you've ranked Revenge of Shinobi above it.

Video games were still in their infancy in 1976 (the Atari 2600 was still a year away from even being released).  From what was released that year, I guess I would say Breakout.

I think DQ VIII.

Archon: The light and the dark