By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GEARS Tactics is very good

Well I finally broke down and bought it. Too bad my internet's decided to be really slow so it's gonna be a day at least until I can actually play it.

Around the Network

Played two hours of it yesterday and while the story is more like Starship Troopers 3 the gameplay is spot on. The one issue I do see is that the killing animations like the execute moves or whatever will get old after seeing them 100 times. Could have used more variety or ability to turn them off without turning off blood.

sethnintendo said:
Played two hours of it yesterday and while the story is more like Starship Troopers 3 the gameplay is spot on. The one issue I do see is that the killing animations like the execute moves or whatever will get old after seeing them 100 times. Could have used more variety or ability to turn them off without turning off blood.

There are a couple variations. Every different weapon has a unique execution animation, and that includes grenades (they choke enemies out with them). Try cycling between main, pistol and grenade before doing the executions, if it means that much to you.

Shaunodon said:
sethnintendo said:

There are a couple variations. Every different weapon has a unique execution animation, and that includes grenades (they choke enemies out with them). Try cycling between main, pistol and grenade before doing the executions, if it means that much to you.

Ah didn't know different weapons provide different animations.  Will try that out today.

I've never been able to get into the Gears games as TPSs, but I could take a swing at Tactics.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Been playing it today and I'm really enjoying it. Great game! Really hope we get a Gears Tactics 2 now.

Of course it's good. Splash Damage makes only good games. Haven't played this one though and probably won't either. I'm just not very interested in Gears...

Zkuq said:
Of course it's good. Splash Damage makes only good games. Haven't played this one though and probably won't either. I'm just not very interested in Gears...

Splash Damage are very good and underrated however, they did develop Brink..

Lets not talk about Brink

I haven't had a ton of time to play, I think I'm on part five of act one. It's a great game, Gears lends itself very well to this genre. I am enjoying the skill trees and the amount of customization you get over your recruits. I can easily see myself replaying it eventually on XSX. I built this PC a couple years ago, this is the first game that really seems like it's too much for it. I have stuck to medium settings to get a steady frame rate. It will be nice to play it on console and just turn it on and go.

Took me 24 hours but I've finished the game. Really enjoyed it. Hopefully they'll have some DLC, or better yet a sequel!

Until then I guess I should do an insane difficulty run!