By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 25 April 2020 - Switch Sales Soar

PortisheadBiscuit said:
How did Switch sell 95k in NA with no stock??

That must be the amount the scalpers bought.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Good keep for the week after FF VIIR release. Let's see how much longer it can hold. And also Xbox have been a lot of up weeks. COVID is so far keeping console sales higher than expected.
Switch is charting strongly whenever stock is available.

This week is 2 weeks after FFVIIR Release.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Inquiring minds.  I haven't had a OG switch in stock from the major retailers (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Costco, GameStop) within 250+ miles of me in over 2 weeks.

kazuyamishima said:
DonFerrari said:
Good keep for the week after FF VIIR release. Let's see how much longer it can hold. And also Xbox have been a lot of up weeks. COVID is so far keeping console sales higher than expected.
Switch is charting strongly whenever stock is available.

This week is 2 weeks after FFVIIR Release.

Even more impressive then. It is holding well and in the end perhaps FFVII will have push over 500k consoles very late in the life of the console.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

New shipments come in weekly. Just because most of the week shows no stock available - which I think is what you are refering to - doesn't mean that retailers didn't have any at all to sell.

Yep, I remember tales of Wii being out of stock straight up for like 2 or 3 years, and still it was breaking weekly records every now and then.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Dyotropic said:
Is there a switch shortage in Europe?

It's not stock retail in general is down in Europe hence why even PS4 numbers are down from what they usually are, lock down over here has most stores shut while some countries if you leave the house other than for bare essentials you get arrested and fined.

but that isn't true. the official data reported by gameindustry has shown a massive increase in retail vg sales throughout this period at least in the uk. even last week, the worst week so far since quarantine, sales were apparently notably better than they normally are around this time of the year: link 

LimaBean01 said:
Wyrdness said:

It's not stock retail in general is down in Europe hence why even PS4 numbers are down from what they usually are, lock down over here has most stores shut while some countries if you leave the house other than for bare essentials you get arrested and fined.

but that isn't true. the official data reported by gameindustry has shown a massive increase in retail vg sales throughout this period at least in the uk. even last week, the worst week so far since quarantine, sales were apparently notably better than they normally are around this time of the year: link 

"Overall, the boxed market remains relatively resilient with over 200,000 games sold in the UK last week. This is still above the typical quiet week before the lockdown was declared -- where the weekly numbers were around 150,000. However, it's a drop off from the first few weeks of the lockdown, when more than 350,000 boxed games were being sold every week."

Your link backs what I said as it shows here retail sales are down in recent weeks, the increase over last year can even be attributed to how the same period last year had a Yoshi game as the only release while this year had Animal Crossing over sales would be down even further.

Switch is going to do 22-24 million this year. Even with the new consoles coming, I don't see holiday sales falling any this year because it's affordable. It would also be an ideal time for a price cut or even better a bundle.

Damn, already 50% more than last year and twice as much as 2017 for the Switch. And even 1M more than the PS4 during it's best years!

Dyotropic said:
Switch is going to do 22-24 million this year. Even with the new consoles coming, I don't see holiday sales falling any this year because it's affordable. It would also be an ideal time for a price cut or even better a bundle.

Remember when some users kept swearing that because Pokemon dropped last year and, "all of their heavy hitters are behind them" that sales would slow moving forward?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261