By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 25 April 2020 - Switch Sales Soar

Shiken said:
Dyotropic said:
Switch is going to do 22-24 million this year. Even with the new consoles coming, I don't see holiday sales falling any this year because it's affordable. It would also be an ideal time for a price cut or even better a bundle.

Remember when some users kept swearing that because Pokemon dropped last year and, "all of their heavy hitters are behind them" that sales would slow moving forward?

Well to be fair no one anticipated that AC would become the biggest killer app on the Switch. It really took everyone by surprise.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
Shiken said:

Remember when some users kept swearing that because Pokemon dropped last year and, "all of their heavy hitters are behind them" that sales would slow moving forward?

Well to be fair no one anticipated that AC would become the biggest killer app on the Switch. It really took everyone by surprise.

This is true, but at this point any traditional Nintendo IP on Switch is fair game to blow up.  Nintendo's audience has clearly expanded with the Switch as it seems like business as usual for 1st party IPs to explode past all previous entries when it comes to sales (unless said IP was already astronomical to begin with, like Mario).  Even Luigi's Mansion sales were a suprise to me, as the other two games did not sell near as much.

Despite sales performance from the past, I would not be suprised in the least if Metroid Prime 4 takes off as well.  Maybe not AC numbers of course, but way more than the sales of the first three games would suggest.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

2 million up YOY in April, fuck me that's insane. Hopefully they can sustain this momentum throughout the year instead of letting it wear off as they so often do by going long stretches without big games.

Shiken said:
Dyotropic said:
Switch is going to do 22-24 million this year. Even with the new consoles coming, I don't see holiday sales falling any this year because it's affordable. It would also be an ideal time for a price cut or even better a bundle.

People were claiming their heavy hitters were almost all behind them as far back as late 2017, not to mention the infamous "fall off a cliff in 2018" prophecy. The newest one has been that PS5 and Xbox Series X will take away all its sales.

curl-6 said:

2 million up YOY in April, fuck me that's insane. Hopefully they can sustain this momentum throughout the year instead of letting it wear off as they so often do by going long stretches without big games.

Shiken said:

People were claiming their heavy hitters were almost all behind them as far back as late 2017, not to mention the infamous "fall off a cliff in 2018" prophecy. The newest one has been that PS5 and Xbox Series X will take away all its sales.

Indeed, it will be interesting to see what the next prophecy will be.  Much like the others, this one will also fall flat.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

According to Famitsu, the lack of switch is still going on.
Demand should be still pretty high in japan.

https://www.famitsu.com/ranking/article/1_week/

Around the Network

Curious how long the Animal Crossing boost will last; I can see Switch cruising through May catching up on unmet demand. Complacency is a killer though; they'd better have other big games coming in 2020 if they want to outsell last year.

newwil7l said:
Shiken said:

I've been blabbering on about AC for year now but that's just because I'm die hard fan.  I knew it was going to be big in Japan (given) and do better in USA but even I didn't expect it to sell this good. 

Funny prediction in AC thread is portisheadbiscuit.  He came into thread with 11m total worldwide lifetime sales.  Lol Japan sales might pass that up at this rate.  He was confident when I second guessed his prediction snapping back with a GIF. 

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 01 May 2020

NS first again with excellent sales, PS4 a very good second, XBOne decent third. It's quite amazing how shipments can go well enough despite the serious situation the world is currently in.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Radek said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
NS first again with excellent sales, PS4 a very good second, XBOne decent third. It's quite amazing how shipments can go well enough despite the serious situation the world is currently in.

I wouldn't consider selling 4 times less than PS4 a decent third place.

Last gen was quite unusual, and the third lifetime, XB360, was launched first and remained first for a while (although a very short while, thanks to many MS mistakes), in most other generations the third ranking did far worse.
XBOne is currently in the Top20 of all times, ranking 15th, only XB360 did better as third in a gen, and thanks to being alone for a whole year, and while it used quite badly its head start, momentum, and initial bad sales performance of PS3, helped it stay second, after losing leadership, for a long time.
This time things went very oddly, Wii U launched first, XBOne and PS4 one year later, but they easily slaughtered Wii U, nevertheless MS initially committed many marketing mistakes, PS4 beat it from the start, and NS, despite launching quite later, caught up and outsold it quite quickly. In this situation managing to still sell these numbers is decent, yep, barely decent, but still better than what most other third ranking in a gen managed to do even against first and second ranking competitors weaker than PS4 and NS.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Shiken said:
Dyotropic said:

Well, they are slowly moving forward - to new records that is!

Radek said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I wouldn't consider selling 4 times less than PS4 a decent third place.

Not in absolute numbers, that's true.

But the Xbox is holding pretty well this year. pS4 is down quite a lot already compared to last year, but the XBO is just slightly below it's last year performance.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 02 May 2020