By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Game Showcase May 7 at 8 AM PT

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Went in with low expectations and was pleased. I don't get the talk about being let down or failing expectations, they repeatedly said before the event and even right at the start of the event via Greenberg that first party titles would be in another show. I think what people are describing as lackluster showings is going to be a common theme this year as COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on game development. People criticizing MS for not showing bigger third party games are assuming there were big third party games to show. A lot of these big publishers have confirmed or are rumored to be throwing their own digital events this year so it makes little sense to reveal their games here and steal their own thunder.

Personally I'm fine with them showcasing a bunch of new IP's and smaller titles to give us a taste of next gen. Anyone feeling underwhelmed by this don't have their priorities or logic in check lol.

I also didn't expect a lot but it's still the first time we got to Series X's games and they made a pretty bad first impression, especially with all their talk about cross gen. Instead of a proper next gen console, it now feels more like Xbox One X 2.0. We'll see what they got for July but I'm definitely keeping my exceptions in check. 

You’ve been downplaying and crapping on MSs moves for months, I don’t expect anything different from this event or July. 

There’s no E3 and there’s a virus crippling game development. Not sure why you’d expect anything close to a regular console reveal in these times. I mean look at Sony, were in May and they’ve shown a logo and controller.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I need a comprehensive list of what has been shown to forge a coherent strategy for how I can bash it all.

Thanks in advance.

We all hate homework still you just have to suck it up and sift through it yourself, then  knowing what a waste of your time it was that way you will be extra motivated to really bashit.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

I also didn't expect a lot but it's still the first time we got to Series X's games and they made a pretty bad first impression, especially with all their talk about cross gen. Instead of a proper next gen console, it now feels more like Xbox One X 2.0. We'll see what they got for July but I'm definitely keeping my exceptions in check. 

You’ve been downplaying and crapping on MSs moves for months, I don’t expect anything different from this event or July. 

There’s no E3 and there’s a virus crippling game development. Not sure why you’d expect anything close to a regular console reveal in these times. I mean look at Sony, were in May and they’ve shown a logo and controller.

Well yeah, I can't say I'm happy with MS's cross platform, "Smart Delivery" strategy to kickstart next gen. Some people wouldn't believe me but they've been pretty open about it, so it shouldn't come as a complete surprise now. Maybe this game showcase was lackluster because of the virus, but maybe their new strategy also has something to do with it? In any case, I think they should have waited and do one proper reveal if they wanted people to get excited for next gen. 

I wish people would be more honest about this showing. It was garbage.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

It wasn't the best way to show the world what next-gen Xbox is capable of.
Previous Xbox SeX presentations were focused on its hardware capabilities, the 12 tflops of raw power, realistic graphics with raytracing etc.. and now they show us a bunch of cross-gen third party games not quite impressive at all.

They should have started with jaw-breaking first party games, and then with a 3rd party games show reel.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Don't get me wrong, but it's obvious that you are in the minority in getting excited about this. Maybe we simply don't like their approach?

And no, Sony is not doing any better, if you think that I try to imply that in any way. Their convoluted tech details, logo and controller reveal strategy is just that bad, and if their gameplay reveals will be similar, I am more than happy to take a dump on them as well. But this thread is about MS and quite frankly they screwed it up.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

JimmyFantasy said:
It wasn't the best way to show the world what next-gen Xbox is capable of.
Previous Xbox SeX presentations were focused on its hardware capabilities, the 12 tflops of raw power, realistic graphics with raytracing etc.. and now they show us a bunch of cross-gen third party games not quite impressive at all.

They should have started with jaw-breaking first party games, and then with a 3rd party games show reel.

Come to think of it that would have been better. Had they started off big with first party, this show coming after would have been a nice topping, nothing more. Now fans like me are stuck having to wait 2 months to have a complete narrative lol. 

At least a few of these titles have since been confirmed to be Xbox/PC. Weird it was via twitter and not during the broadcast. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

hunter_alien said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Don't get me wrong, but it's obvious that you are in the minority in getting excited about this. Maybe we simply don't like their approach?

And no, Sony is not doing any better, if you think that I try to imply that in any way. Their convoluted tech details, logo and controller reveal strategy is just that bad, and if their gameplay reveals will be similar, I am more than happy to take a dump on them as well. But this thread is about MS and quite frankly they screwed it up.

Well for starters this is Chartz, anyone not being negative towards MS is automatically going to be in the minority :)

Also, it's not as if I am giving the show an A+ or something. I said my expectations were low and I was pleased. That's not to say they showed amazing stuff, I simply wasn't expecting much. They told us they weren't showing their games. Multiple insiders said in the days leading up to temper expectations. Anyone expecting to be blown away simply wasn't paying attention going in.

What approach is there to not like? Should they have waited until July to show anything? In the environment the world is currently in, I simply don't see anything wrong with showing off games for people to discuss. I'd rather see these trailers and read about these games than read and see more of nothing as both companies scramble to have stuff ready.

JimmyFantasy said:
Previous Xbox SeX presentations were focused on its hardware capabilities, the 12 tflops of raw power, realistic graphics with raytracing etc..

We know pretty much nothing about XSX hardware capabilities.

Shouting "12TF 12TF 12TF" and buzzwords like "Velocity Engine" pretty much sums up what has happened up to now.

I'm pretty sure MS had something similar in petto like the Cerny talk. But seeing how the gamerzzz crowd reacted to the Cerny developer's talk (which was very impressive from a technical standpoint), they probably decided not to go that road.

That May 7 Showcase might have been a quick attempt to fill a void until the "real stuff" is ready to show, but it didn't really help much in the short run as the stuff showed absolutely none of the XSX capabilities.

Bandorr said:

Happened to stumble upon a poll Geoff Keighley is conducting.
Has 83,550 votes asking "so what's your grade for Xbox event today?"

Not sure if the poll will show up with the tweet. So I'll post the stats.

10% A. 20% B.  27% C.  43% D.  Not sure which I'd vote for.  30 minutes, two games impressed me.  High C I guess.

57% thought it was meh or higher. For a botched 3rd party event that’s not bad ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.