By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Game Showcase May 7 at 8 AM PT

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

You are right, it was really tyring to see the same game on e3 being shown like 5 diferent times. I really hope we are past that and third partys either show their stuff on their event only, or split games on diferent platforms, then step out of the conferences. Would save them money and would make the remaining shows a lot better.

And again, MS did have that one up on sony and just had to wait untill sony counters for them to counter again. But now they are piling up crappy anouncements one on top of another. Now its just a detriment to the inmage of the xbox. Just look at all the backlash this show is receiving. 

Its a saying as old as time.  If you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all. 

This is a weird year with E3 being cancelled. Guess the masses expect that surprise AAA or 1st party exclusive. This wasn’t that show. Even those Xbox/Pc games are AA at best. It would really suck to see them alongside their best if E3 still happened. This way the fluff is out of the picture, Sony counters in June, but MS counters again in July. 

3rd Party games aren't always fluff. Normally we always had big franchises like cod, BF etc. that still got people excited for the next gen. It's strange for MS to spread their announcements like this as this first impression of the Series X and next gen in general was terrible. Maybe that is because E3 got canned but I got a feeling that Sony's official reveal will get people a lot more fired up about next gen and have some big ps5 exclusive ip's to demonstrate why people need to migrate to the ps5. Will MS do the same during the their July show? Who knows, but their exclusives better not be Xbox One games with a smart delivery logo on the screen as that will get them the same reaction as they're getting now.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
PotentHerbs said:
Some interesting stuff but overall underwhelming show considering the expectations. We didn't get much gameplay, aside from a couple of games, which is the biggest gripe for me. At the very least, I thought we'd get 20 - 30 second trailers of gameplay, not a bunch of in engine footage.

The first game looked the most next gen to me based on the mechanics: Titanfall wall running, the grapple hook, etc. One of the trailers with actual gameplay too.

Isn't this always the problem.  Gamers become over expectant of ever game reveal.  When I first read the headline and saw that MS wasn't showing any of their stuff, I instantly thought these must be cross gen titles MS is giving a platform to give them more air time.  I really did not expect to see anything shattering during the release of any of these systems until a year or more after their release.

Personally, I watch this show to see if there were anything I care about and there were a few i will be keeping an eye on.  My main reason for getting a PS5 and a XSX is due to being able to use them for playing all the games I love at the highest setting and hopefully 4K 60FPS. Then again, I never get hyped for a new gen.  I stopped doing that a long time ago.

I think it was the marketing that caused a lot of deflated hype. Most people knew MS first party titles weren't going to be present at this show. However, most people probably expected some gameplay sequences, to give us a taste of the next generation. Instead, we get in - engine footage, passed off as gameplay.  Another thing to consider is most expected a big third party reveal whereas we only got AC: Valhalla. 

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

This is a weird year with E3 being cancelled. Guess the masses expect that surprise AAA or 1st party exclusive. This wasn’t that show. Even those Xbox/Pc games are AA at best. It would really suck to see them alongside their best if E3 still happened. This way the fluff is out of the picture, Sony counters in June, but MS counters again in July. 

3rd Party games aren't always fluff. Normally we always had big franchises like cod, BF etc. that still got people excited for the next gen. It's strange for MS to spread their announcements like this as this first impression of the Series X and next gen in general was terrible. Maybe that is because E3 got canned but I got a feeling that Sony's official reveal will get people a lot more fired up about next gen and have some big ps5 exclusive ip's to demonstrate why people need to migrate to the ps5. Will MS do the same during the their July show? Who knows, but their exclusives better not be Xbox One games with a smart delivery logo on the screen as that will get them the same reaction as they're getting now.

Unless it has exclusive perks or marketing rights, it’s fluff and a waste of a time slot. Because it’s multiplat end of day and not tied to a particular brand. 

MS trying something new it can’t go all well. I wasn’t wowed myself but didn’t expect to. The idea is that Sony blows this out of the water but the July show outperforms Sony’s. Really all depends on everything they have been holding back/what they willing to make public.

Halo Infinite alone will steal the show. We been waiting years to see it in action. Rumoured Fable and Perfect Dark reboots. Obsidians AAA game, Forza 8, etc. It’s not just about graphics but nostalgia and wow factor. I’m not worried but it does suck to have to wait two months to change the narrative.

The one thing the July event has is that it’s only for 1st party. Sony I feel will stick to tradition and do a mix of 1st and 3rd. The 3rd party games will add up on time and may limit the amount of 1st party announcements. Guess we’ll see for both sides. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

if they do it wont be a game releasing any time soon as they already promised no next gen exclusives for a while. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Unless it has exclusive perks or marketing rights, it’s fluff and a waste of a time slot. Because it’s multiplat end of day and not tied to a particular brand. 

MS trying something new it can’t go all well. I wasn’t wowed myself but didn’t expect to. The idea is that Sony blows this out of the water but the July show outperforms Sony’s. Really all depends on everything they have been holding back/what they willing to make public.

Halo Infinite alone will steal the show. We been waiting years to see it in action. Rumoured Fable and Perfect Dark reboots. Obsidians AAA game, Forza 8, etc. It’s not just about graphics but nostalgia and wow factor. I’m not worried but it does suck to have to wait two months to change the narrative.

The one thing the July event has is that it’s only for 1st party. Sony I feel will stick to tradition and do a mix of 1st and 3rd. The 3rd party games will add up on time and may limit the amount of 1st party announcements. Guess we’ll see for both sides. 

At bold. this might be the biggest issue. A tweet or interview wont be enough. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
goopy20 said:

if they do it wont be a game releasing any time soon as they already promised no next gen exclusives for a while. 

Yeah, that's the problem me thinks. MS usually doesn't show games that are far from release, which is kinda a good thing. Sony on the other hand does the exact opposite and will likely show full blown next gen titles like GOW2, HZD2, Spiderman 2 etc. I doubt they will be launch titles, and some of them might come out years later. But just showing glimpses of gameplay footage will seriously hurt the idea of Series X being the most powerful console when they're only showing cross gen games or cgi trailers.  

jason1637 said:
These games all look neat but nothing has wowed me as a ext gen game so far.

That's how I always feel at cross-gen time.  Eve  if the games are new gen only, they just are never massive leaps forward at launch of the new gen.  

goopy20 said:
eva01beserk said:

Yeah, that's the problem me thinks. MS usually doesn't show games that are far from release, which is kinda a good thing. Sony on the other hand does the exact opposite and will likely show full blown next gen titles like GOW2, HZD2, Spiderman 2 etc. I doubt they will be launch titles, and some of them might come out years later. But just showing glimpses of gameplay footage will seriously hurt the idea of Series X being the most powerful console when they're only showing cross gen games or cgi trailers.  

I think both show games that are very far off. It just that sony has more to show, so even if you get a game that is coming in 2 years, they also show a game coming in 6 months and another maybe in a year. Ms has had so little to show that they had gone over a year without releasing any big games so it feels like they are waiting for longer. 

Went in with low expectations and was pleased. I don't get the talk about being let down or failing expectations, they repeatedly said before the event and even right at the start of the event via Greenberg that first party titles would be in another show. I think what people are describing as lackluster showings is going to be a common theme this year as COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on game development. People criticizing MS for not showing bigger third party games are assuming there were big third party games to show. A lot of these big publishers have confirmed or are rumored to be throwing their own digital events this year so it makes little sense to reveal their games here and steal their own thunder.

Personally I'm fine with them showcasing a bunch of new IP's and smaller titles to give us a taste of next gen. Anyone feeling underwhelmed by this don't have their priorities or logic in check lol.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Went in with low expectations and was pleased. I don't get the talk about being let down or failing expectations, they repeatedly said before the event and even right at the start of the event via Greenberg that first party titles would be in another show. I think what people are describing as lackluster showings is going to be a common theme this year as COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on game development. People criticizing MS for not showing bigger third party games are assuming there were big third party games to show. A lot of these big publishers have confirmed or are rumored to be throwing their own digital events this year so it makes little sense to reveal their games here and steal their own thunder.

Personally I'm fine with them showcasing a bunch of new IP's and smaller titles to give us a taste of next gen. Anyone feeling underwhelmed by this don't have their priorities or logic in check lol.

I also didn't expect a lot but it's still the first time we got to Series X's games and they made a pretty bad first impression, especially with all their talk about cross gen. Instead of a proper next gen console, it now feels more like Xbox One X 2.0. We'll see what they got for July but I'm definitely keeping my exceptions in check.