By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Angry Joe Review!

Scoobes said:
The Fury said:

Both true, and luckily, even though I would say FF12 isn't as FF as other titles, it's still a superb game as it was made by the Ivalice team (who don't exist anymore sadly). The merge was the start of things going down hill, I have always known that but I do find it strange that they aren't trying to look at why 6-10 heyday was so good and not looking to that to get their influences to create the next generation of the FF games. Looking at FF7"Remake" combat, they looked at more modern FF games and other series instead, things like button mashing and stagger made it into a remake of a game that had none of that. These were things people liked from previous entries? Really?

Honestly, the battle system in the remake is probably one of the best I've played in a JRPG for a long time and certainly the best in the series. Yes, it's real-time (I'd argue semi-turn-based) but the actual strategy and depth of it amazes me. The button mashing is solely a method (one of a few) to fill up the ATB, abilities are unique to each character and designed to complement each other, and it really doesn't pay to just go for the most powerful spell every time as you're more likely to end up in trouble. The materia system is refined and balanced (it places limits on certain materia) forcing you to truly plan which materia to utilise for a given fight.

I haven't been a fan of the combat systems in any of the Final Fantasy games since X. But the system here is as if they learnt every lesson from every game since VII, and just kept the best bits. The result is far more strategic and challenging than the original ever was.

I'll tell you I hated FFXII the first time I played it (I think I stopped about 20h from start) and just came back on the remake, and I really liked the game including the battle system and the level up method.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Scoobes said:

Honestly, the battle system in the remake is probably one of the best I've played in a JRPG for a long time and certainly the best in the series. Yes, it's real-time (I'd argue semi-turn-based) but the actual strategy and depth of it amazes me. The button mashing is solely a method (one of a few) to fill up the ATB, abilities are unique to each character and designed to complement each other, and it really doesn't pay to just go for the most powerful spell every time as you're more likely to end up in trouble. The materia system is refined and balanced (it places limits on certain materia) forcing you to truly plan which materia to utilise for a given fight.

I haven't been a fan of the combat systems in any of the Final Fantasy games since X. But the system here is as if they learnt every lesson from every game since VII, and just kept the best bits. The result is far more strategic and challenging than the original ever was.

I'll tell you I hated FFXII the first time I played it (I think I stopped about 20h from start) and just came back on the remake, and I really liked the game including the battle system and the level up method.

I tried FFXII twice and each time had to throw in the towel... I think both times a little after the sand sea.  I just found it too much of a slog to get places.  Do the changes improve it that much?  I've been tempted to try a third time.

JWeinCom said:
DonFerrari said:

I tried FFXII twice and each time had to throw in the towel... I think both times a little after the sand sea.  I just found it too much of a slog to get places.  Do the changes improve it that much?  I've been tempted to try a third time.

Yes, once you get the gambit system right you basically "autofight" all the traversal areas without even worrying about MP, and only need to work on the strategy and detailed setup for the bosses. Also the good part is that you can also avoid most battles if you want (not worth because then you will be low leveled).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

For sure I would love for FF XVI to look more like FF IX, but I don't think that will be the case. Stiill I even liked FF XV but yes it wasn't FF.

Which is fine, I'm sure FFXV gameplay was good, I expect it to be it's by the FF team of SquEnix. 13's gameplay was good but to me, control of 1 character, a 'auto' button and just pressing X to level up? That's not really how I expected it. FF7R gameplay was good from the demo but it's still button mashing to fill the ATB.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think they need a FF game to really tank in sales in order to get a wake up call.  My favorite series have always been Zelda and FF.  The best thing to happen to Zelda was actually Skyward Sword, because the sales of it were so disappointing.  It was a serious wake up call to Nintendo.  "Hey we are losing one of our key series here."  The result was Breath of the Wild.

While long time fans of FF can tell the series has seriously gotten off track, it is still selling well enough that Square-Enix thinks the games are just fine.  They really need FF16 to be a total flop.  They need a wake up call to tell them to get back to their roots.  Until that happens, they are just going to continue on this same track and not correct themselves.

An excellent point, sadly as long as these games do sell they won't ever think they are not doing the right thing, even when fans like me don't buy them. My 1 sale does not make an impact. As mentioned of fans being starved, they see Final Fantasy and buy it anyway, regardless of how or what it is. Just like how certain game series sell millions yet nothing really ever changes or they are glitchy messes. Except for FF games, it's once ever 5 years instead of yearly and generally they are well made games.

Scoobes said:

From the demo, I found the combat good, I expected it to be but in the end it has button mashing. I understand that they could update and evolve the combat but it was too far removed from what FF7 was for me. 'Traditional' was listed at 'characters attack automatically and it's set to 'easy'. Abilities existed to begin with was weird, stagger is a joke in FF13 it has no place here either (stagger is never a 'best bit' :P).

Scoobes said:

Honestly, I don't see us getting an old-school JRPG with a mainline final fantasy budget again, or at least until one of the medium budget titles starts selling numbers that approach mainline Final Fantasy numbers. 

Having said that, Persona is starting to get close in sales and recognition, so you never know. A classic Final Fantasy/JRPG resurgence could be on the cards.

And that is the reason why I bought Persona 5, the more traditional turn based party gameplay (plus the style of it was so cool looking). I've watched videos by Jim Sterling where be makes points about how sometimes big companies make a traditional game (Octopath Traveler) like they used to and then are weirdly surprised when it succeeds. Like the people that like those games suddenly don't exist. P5 sold better than any other Persona game because fans of that style of gameplay weren't being given any, so they flocked to it.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Scoobes said:

1. From the demo, I found the combat good, I expected it to be but in the end it has button mashing. I understand that they could update and evolve the combat but it was too far removed from what FF7 was for me. 'Traditional' was listed at 'characters attack automatically and it's set to 'easy'. Abilities existed to begin with was weird, stagger is a joke in FF13 it has no place here either (stagger is never a 'best bit' :P).

Scoobes said:

Honestly, I don't see us getting an old-school JRPG with a mainline final fantasy budget again, or at least until one of the medium budget titles starts selling numbers that approach mainline Final Fantasy numbers. 

Having said that, Persona is starting to get close in sales and recognition, so you never know. A classic Final Fantasy/JRPG resurgence could be on the cards.

2. And that is the reason why I bought Persona 5, the more traditional turn based party gameplay (plus the style of it was so cool looking). I've watched videos by Jim Sterling where be makes points about how sometimes big companies make a traditional game (Octopath Traveler) like they used to and then are weirdly surprised when it succeeds. Like the people that like those games suddenly don't exist. P5 sold better than any other Persona game because fans of that style of gameplay weren't being given any, so they flocked to it.

1. Honestly, even the stagger in the remake works well! I pretty much hated everything about the combat system in FFXIII but the staggering in this game does genuinely add to the different strategies you have to employ, especially with the harder bosses. Like I said, I was shocked at the layers of depth and the level of detail that went into the combat. I find it far more strategic and balanced than the original game. And the post-completion hard mode adds a completely new layer of challenge and depth that makes you completely change how you play!

2. The big companies do invest in traditional games but they're much lower budget (mid-tier budgets often), as anything above that is deemed too risky. This is what I meant by these titles need to start approaching Final Fantasy level sales on their own merits before they'll risk it. Although they do better than expectations I don't think they're currently enough above expectations to warrant risking a Final Fantasy scale budget.

A similar thing happened in WRPGs. A lot of traditional WRPGs (Baldur's Gate style) seemed to disappear. I think the last big budget title was Dragon Age Origins before Bioware completely changed the formula. There was a big kickstarter push a little while back and a lot of mid-tier budget titles (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Torment: Tides of Numenera) started coming out and now we have a new Baldur's Gate coming out (although no idea what the budget is like!). 

There does seem to be a major push on nostalgia across all video games. Remakes, remasters, re-imaginings etc. all seem to be charting well across all genres to the point of making sequels for franchises thought dead: Call of Duty Modern Warfare remakes, Half-Life remake Black Mesa, Age of Empires definitive editions and AoE4, Warcraft 3, Resident Evil remakes, Baldur's Gate 3... nostalgia does sell.

Around the Network

Did Joe play the OG FF7 game?

The Fury said:
DonFerrari said:

For sure I would love for FF XVI to look more like FF IX, but I don't think that will be the case. Stiill I even liked FF XV but yes it wasn't FF.

Which is fine, I'm sure FFXV gameplay was good, I expect it to be it's by the FF team of SquEnix. 13's gameplay was good but to me, control of 1 character, a 'auto' button and just pressing X to level up? That's not really how I expected it. FF7R gameplay was good from the demo but it's still button mashing to fill the ATB.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think they need a FF game to really tank in sales in order to get a wake up call.  My favorite series have always been Zelda and FF.  The best thing to happen to Zelda was actually Skyward Sword, because the sales of it were so disappointing.  It was a serious wake up call to Nintendo.  "Hey we are losing one of our key series here."  The result was Breath of the Wild.

While long time fans of FF can tell the series has seriously gotten off track, it is still selling well enough that Square-Enix thinks the games are just fine.  They really need FF16 to be a total flop.  They need a wake up call to tell them to get back to their roots.  Until that happens, they are just going to continue on this same track and not correct themselves.

An excellent point, sadly as long as these games do sell they won't ever think they are not doing the right thing, even when fans like me don't buy them. My 1 sale does not make an impact. As mentioned of fans being starved, they see Final Fantasy and buy it anyway, regardless of how or what it is. Just like how certain game series sell millions yet nothing really ever changes or they are glitchy messes. Except for FF games, it's once ever 5 years instead of yearly and generally they are well made games.

Scoobes said:

From the demo, I found the combat good, I expected it to be but in the end it has button mashing. I understand that they could update and evolve the combat but it was too far removed from what FF7 was for me. 'Traditional' was listed at 'characters attack automatically and it's set to 'easy'. Abilities existed to begin with was weird, stagger is a joke in FF13 it has no place here either (stagger is never a 'best bit' :P).

Scoobes said:

And that is the reason why I bought Persona 5, the more traditional turn based party gameplay (plus the style of it was so cool looking). I've watched videos by Jim Sterling where be makes points about how sometimes big companies make a traditional game (Octopath Traveler) like they used to and then are weirdly surprised when it succeeds. Like the people that like those games suddenly don't exist. P5 sold better than any other Persona game because fans of that style of gameplay weren't being given any, so they flocked to it.

Yes I agree with your points. The problem of FF was never quality,bugs or anything of the like (so far), it have been the changes to the game that we don't appreciate.

Azzanation said:

Did Joe play the OG FF7 game?

Not at the time of launch, but he played before the remake from what was said.