By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rank Nintendo's systems by third party library

Interesting. Nintendo DS is the clear victor here in terms of "mass support". Op did not say just home consoles.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Nautilus said:
This list should be somewhat obvious, shouldnt it?(for home consoles consoles, at least)

1. Super Nintendo
2. NES
3. Switch
4. Wii
5. Gamecube
6. 64
7. Wii U

This is a pretty good list.  Though your 3-5 could probably fall in about any order in those positions and I'd have trouble finding a problem with it.  

Agree with this.

Personally I'd put GC ahead of Wii, and Switch yet to be determined. Switch has the advantage that nowadays indies are a thing which provides a lot of third party support, and old ports are a thing as well which is providing some third party support. Those things didn't really exist in the GC or Wii days, and those two things comprise a lot of Switch's quality third party library. Still though, if we're just going off raw 3rd party library and not taking generational context into consideration I'd put Switch in 3rd, GC 4th, Wii 5th significantly behind GC.

SNES≥NES>>>N64≥Switch>GC>>>Wii>Wii U

Nothing will ever come close to the support Nintendo got back in the 8-bit & 16-bit days. Back then, the NES & SNES got the best companies like Square, Enix, Capcom, and Konami had to offer. Even when Nintendo lost their de facto monopoly back in like 1990, the SNES still got the lion's share of top-shelf third-party content, including the best JRPGs of the era.

The N64 saw a huge drop in third-party support compared to the NES and SNES, but it still had its fair share of good exclusive third-party games, including Turok, Rogue Squadron, Doom 64, Forsaken 64, Extreme-G, and several great wrestling games. The Switch has managed to get a handful of ports of AAA PS4/XBO games (albeit with downgrades), an expanded version of Dragon Quest 11, and they even got a notable third-party exclusive in Octopath Traveler, and indie support has been strong, but the Switch still comes across to me as a system you get mainly to play Nintendo games. The GameCube felt like a step down from the N64, but it too had a few third-party games of merit.

The Wii meanwhile was treated by third parties as a dumping ground for shovelware and party games, and the Wii U didn't even get that much, with little to show for its third-party library besides a few ports of then-recent Gen 7 titles.

I'd have to put Switch first. There is so much legacy content brought over, from every generation. It has gotten pretty good support for current gen to.

I know there are some big franchises still missing, but the Switch has seen many firsts for Nintendo.

1doesnotsimply

1. SNES. The moment where they got both the quantity and quality titles coming from them. A legendary era for "multiple" reasons 😏

2. GameCube. A bygone which got a ton of now rediscovered classic, especially from Capcom and some underappreciated RPG's on the console.

3. Switch. Has multipled the impressive of receiving current gen ports of games nobody thought would be able to make it on the platforms(most of them quality ports I might add). It also boast some notable 3rd party exclusives from Square Enix and Platinum Games without mentioning upcoming ones as well. It's building up to be a solid #2 imo.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

SNES
NES
Gamecube
Switch (on the rise)
Wii
N64
Wii U

The GameCube, despite missing a few titles like GTA had a decent amount of support for mainstream AAAs. Hard to really rank the NES vs. SNES as everyone was creating games for the NES, but the SNES had such a killer library of third party games - right up there with the PS1.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

For me it is either N64 or SNES in first, mainly due to all the great games from Rare. Unless you count them as second party and not third.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The SNES is the obvious #1, after that I'd say the NES and Switch are 2 and 3, though the Gamecube actually had some pretty good 3rd party titles too. The Wii, N64 and Wii U are bringing up the rear.

VAMatt said:
Nautilus said:
This list should be somewhat obvious, shouldnt it?(for home consoles consoles, at least)

1. Super Nintendo
2. NES
3. Switch
4. Wii
5. Gamecube
6. 64
7. Wii U

This is a pretty good list.  Though your 3-5 could probably fall in about any order in those positions and I'd have trouble finding a problem with it.  

Maybe, but I feel like that, by the end of the Switch life, he will take NES place, given how good it's support has been.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

It's tough, but I would say:
1. SNES
2. Switch
3. NES
4. Wii
5. N64
6. GC
7. WiiU