By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rank Nintendo's systems by third party library

For home consoles only:
1. Switch - there is a tremendous volume of titles far beyond anything I’ve seen on a Nintendo console before.
2. SNES - The RPG golden age began here. While the third party games list is small compared to Wii and Switch, the games it did have include several of the all time greatest games ever.
3. Wii - There was a tremendous boom in creative third party software across all genres.... except new RPGs, which is why I have to put this one lower than SNES. But it DID have gems like Rune Factory Frontier, Little King Story, and the virtual console library. Including VC, this is the first console I owned over 100 individual games on. Switch is close to being the second.
4. N64 - while the library was small, it did have a several really standout exclusives.
5. NES - Lots of exclusives, but very few of them were high quality. Beat em ups and side scrollers were fairly good, but they got smoked by the SMD.
6. Wii U - Exclusive games were almost unheard of. Much of the time done better on other consoles. Usually because of the greater performance.
7. GameCube - Like Wii U, but an even blander library with gameplay/controls/content dumbed down or missing.

Basically, GameCube and Wii U fall into the category of “Yeah, Game X, Y, and Z are on the console, but I’d rather play them elsewhere for the better experience.”

NES falls into the “Yeah, but many of these are not as good as I remember.”

And the top 4 have ample exclusives and reasons for why you’d want to play the games on THAT console for those that aren’t exclusive.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

SNES's lineup is so strong that even if you don't like JRPGs (like me) and have to therefore cross off many of its third party big guns, it can still come out on top just through the sheer breadth of quality titles across multiple genres. Call me a heretic but Final Fantasy/Chrono Tigger/Secret of Mana aren't my cup of tea. R-Type or Demon's Crest on the other hand...

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

JWeinCom said:
Just going to put in Gamecube for #1. Which I'm sure will be a controversial pick.

The thing is while the NES, SNES, and probably even N64 has way better support in terms of volume, I feel like most games from that era haven't aged that well. Aside from the Mega Man games, I really can't remember the last time I replayed an NES third party title for instance. On SNES, Mega Man X and Square's RPGs are the only games I may replay. And on N64 just the wrestling games.

Gamecube had much fewer third party titles, but there are titles I routinely go back to. Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur 2, WWE Day of Reckoning, Capcom vs SNK 2 (wish it had an online mode :(), Skies of Arcadia Legends, Metal Gear Solid, and a few more are games I actually would and have replayed recently. It's mainly a function of games of that era having aged well (beyond the simplicity of early games, but mostly past the awkwardness of early 3D) but there's just most stuff I still enjoy.

I dont agree with that pick, but I still like it.  I think nes and snes are clear leaders, but Cube was the last time I felt like the 10do versions of multiplat games had decent parity w the other versions. Only thing that was a little annoying about the 10do versions was using the cube controller. But really as far as quality 3rd party ports I think it hits 3rd place. Actually maybe 1st since most of the anes era 'multiplats had distinct differences. Oh man atarting to ramble. Ima leave it at that. Nice pick. 

curl-6 said:

SNES's lineup is so strong that even if you don't like JRPGs (like me) and have to therefore cross off many of its third party big guns, it can still come out on top just through the sheer breadth of quality titles across multiple genres. Call me a heretic but Final Fantasy/Chrono Tigger/Secret of Mana aren't my cup of tea. R-Type or Demon's Crest on the other hand...

Did u play guardian legend? What did u think? (if so)

CarcharodonKraz said:
curl-6 said:

Did u play guardian legend? What did u think? (if so)

Nah never heard of it to be honest.

My third party SNES collection is most platformers and shooters.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Home consoles

1. NES - Full 3rd party support and almost all were exclusive.

2. SNES - Full 3rd party support and most were exclusive.

3. GC - Good 3rd party support and a few exclusives.

4. N64 - Decent 3rd party support and a few exclusives.

5. Wii - Meh 3rd party support and a few exclusives (of qualify).

6. Switch - Meh 3rd party support and very few exclusives.

7. Wii U - Poor 3rd party support and very few exclusives.

Switch would rate higher if more 3rd parties approached it as a platform for new games rather than just a home for ports.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:

Switch would rate higher if more 3rd parties approached it as a platform for new games rather than just a home for ports.

THANK YOU.

I mean, I'm fine with current gen ports, but it's shameful how much of Switch's library is recycled from previous generations.

curl-6 said:
SpokenTruth said:

THANK YOU.

I mean, I'm fine with current gen ports, but it's shameful how much of Switch's library is recycled from previous generations.

Indeed.  And I don't think ports by themselves are a bad thing.  Those games get a new lease on life and a generation of Nintendo gamers gets to play them.  Fantastic.  But that shouldn't make up the bulk of 3rd party support.

And it's usually being farmed out to a dedicated porting house.  It's not even the original developers porting over most of those games.

Last edited by SpokenTruth - on 27 April 2020

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

THANK YOU.

Indeed.  And I don't think ports by themselves are a bad thing.  Those games get a new lease on life and a generation of Nintendo gamers gets to play them.  Fantastic.  But that shouldn't make up the bulk of 3rd party support.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind if it was also getting more new/original games, but when the vast majority of its content is positively ancient leftovers that I already either played or passed on years and years ago, that's a big problem, and the one thing that really drags the Switch down in my opinion.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

NES is objectively the right answer.  It had all of the third party support.  SMS got shut out of support.  Hell, Atari technically had a competing system and was still releasing games on the NES via Tengen.  NES really had all of the games.  SNES had good games, but it split third party support with the Genesis with TG16 getting a bit as well.  Anyway, it's all a matter of taste, and most people didn't really experience the NES era.  Here is my list with some of my favorite third party games:

1. NES (Ultima 4, Mega Man 2, Castlevania 1&3, Blaster Master, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest 1&2, Duck Tales, Life Force, Contra, Double Dragon 2, Gauntlet, TMNT2, Bionic Commando, Ninja Gaiden 1&2)
2. Switch (Puyo Puyo Tetris, Octopath Traveler, DQ Builders, Axiom Verge, Untitled Goose Game, Wargroove, Cuphead)
3. SNES (Final Fantasy 4&6, Actraiser, Super Castlevania 4, Turtles in Time)
4. Wii (mostly Virtual Console, and some ok 3rd party titles)
5. Wii U (Minecraft)
6. Gamecube (basically nothing)

Handheld rankings are a little harder, because my #1 & #2 are close:

1. Switch (see above)
2. GBA (Astroy Boy, FF Tactics Advance, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, lots of great ports)
3. DS (Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Plants vs Zombies)
4. 3DS (Theatrhythm FF)

Wii was full to the brim of 3rd party games, same with DS. I have been trying to buy every crazy third party game for the DS for years and just have a pile of games that just never ends.

Now if you are going good games, then the Switch. They have a healthy line up. I just saw that they have Turok and Turok 2 as well which never would have happened in the past.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter