By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 18 April 2020 - PS4 and Xbox One Sales Up Year-on-Year

sales2099 said:
trunkswd said:

I wouldn't call the Xbox One a failure. Was it as successful as the Xbox 360? No. But it didn't flop like the Wii U or PS Vita. 

You right, more like a successful comeback. Had Phil not turned things around this could have easily been another WiiU. 

I don't think so, probably had already sold more than 50% of WiiU before Phil had done anything.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

id be very surprised if those were the US numbers; Benji is reporting that switch is setting a record for april sales this gen.

RolStoppable said:
LimaBean01 said:
id be very surprised if those were the US numbers; Benji is reporting that switch is setting a record for april sales this gen.

Not necessarily a contradiction here, because the April record for this gen (as Benji counts it) can't be a high bar. Probably not even 300k for the month.

Ps4 did pretty good in April 2018 when GOW released IIRC

LatiosGames said:
This might be the last week with the ps4 on top as each week passes the shortages for the switch are getting under control and the final fantasy VII craze is over as declining week two sales have shown so it might get one more week for the ps4 on top but then it switch steam ahead.

And this would really matters ?  I think you have the answer already.

At this point the "arrogant Sony" should consider a price cut and enlarge even more the Playstation echosystem. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes even the hottest fan of a Console brand can smell the arrogance...or whatever it is.  I don't understand Sony lately...again it could be my mistaken perception of things, translated into unpleasant feelings :)

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
LatiosGames said:
This might be the last week with the ps4 on top as each week passes the shortages for the switch are getting under control and the final fantasy VII craze is over as declining week two sales have shown so it might get one more week for the ps4 on top but then it switch steam ahead.

At this point the "arrogant Sony" should consider a price cut and enlarge even more the Playstation echosystem. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes even the hottest fan of a Console brand can smell the arrogance...or whatever it is.  I don't understand Sony lately...again it could be my mistaken perception of things, translated into unpleasant feelings :)

People have been begging for a PS4 price cut for years now, and it makes less sense to do it now than ever.  Why lower the price now when it's still selling, and they can't possibly meet increased demand during the pandemic?  I just checked a number of online retailers (US based) and the PS4 is sold out everywhere I've seen, unless you want to pay at least $350 for a slim on Amazon.

If Sony knocked $100 off the price of the PS4, they'd have to sell at least 50% more units than what they're selling now in order to break even.  In these times they can't produce enough to keep up with current demand, let alone 50% more.  Keeping the price stable now isn't arrogance, it's common sense.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Around the Network
kenjab said:
Nate4Drake said:

People have been begging for a PS4 price cut for years now, and it makes less sense to do it now than ever.  Why lower the price now when it's still selling, and they can't possibly meet increased demand during the pandemic?  I just checked a number of online retailers (US based) and the PS4 is sold out everywhere I've seen, unless you want to pay at least $350 for a slim on Amazon.

If Sony knocked $100 off the price of the PS4, they'd have to sell at least 50% more units than what they're selling now in order to break even.  In these times they can't produce enough to keep up with current demand, let alone 50% more.  Keeping the price stable now isn't arrogance, it's common sense.

Though this is Sony arrogance and greed are their middle names.  Look at things like the PS3 launch and then the Sony scandal back in 2018 with games like Minecraft and Fortnite not being able to play with other consoles just PS4 and in fortnite's case mobile phones.  So while a price cut might at this moment seem practical when the virus passes it wont happen (or happen so late that no one cares) because Sony likes to be Sony and that is arrogance and greedy.  One day that arrogance will be the death of them and some of those things are why I have yet to buy a PS4 I own a switch and an Xbox one (the VCR model) along with a ton of consoles most being from Nintendo and out of all of these I bought a ton of my consoles new and again most were from Nintendo expect the Xbox one and the PS2 i own which were also new. The PS2 was when i was really on the Sony hype and then the PS3 happened and that killed the hype for me i would one day get a PS3 but many years later and used.  For the PS4 i will probably do the same.

LatiosGames said:
kenjab said:

Though this is Sony arrogance and greed are their middle names.  Look at things like the PS3 launch and then the Sony scandal back in 2018 with games like Minecraft and Fortnite not being able to play with other consoles just PS4 and in fortnite's case mobile phones.  So while a price cut might at this moment seem practical when the virus passes it wont happen (or happen so late that no one cares) because Sony likes to be Sony and that is arrogance and greedy.  One day that arrogance will be the death of them and some of those things are why I have yet to buy a PS4 I own a switch and an Xbox one (the VCR model) along with a ton of consoles most being from Nintendo and out of all of these I bought a ton of my consoles new and again most were from Nintendo expect the Xbox one and the PS2 i own which were also new. The PS2 was when i was really on the Sony hype and then the PS3 happened and that killed the hype for me i would one day get a PS3 but many years later and used.  For the PS4 i will probably do the same.

Not trying to defend Sony but Microsoft did exactly the same back in the mid-late 2000s when Sony wanted to do cross play on one of the final fantasy games amongst a couple other games, so I can tell you that all the big 3 does have arrogance and greed in their names. Sony has always had cross play with PC since the PS2 days. 

ZS said:
LatiosGames said:

Not trying to defend Sony but Microsoft did exactly the same back in the mid-late 2000s when Sony wanted to do cross play on one of the final fantasy games amongst a couple other games, so I can tell you that all the big 3 does have arrogance and greed in their names. Sony has always had cross play with PC since the PS2 days. 

while that is true Sony has been the one where it seems to come back a lot in.  One reason being out of the 3 Companies Sony is the one that struggles the most as they have many failing business ventures like cameras, Tvs,Audio system,and the once successful now dead walkmen and diskmen. movies they have some hits but their biggest hit come from usually like something like james bond very popular, or spider man also very popular.  This is seen with their highest grossing films far from home was largely the work of marvel an outside company.  but to counter their hits they have many failures like the emoji movie, Ghostbusters 2016, charile's angles 2019, MIB international those were major failures and that why the only things keeping them really afloat is the Playstation brand which is why they do tactics on par with EA and Activision to try and choke as much money from the consumers as possible.  The problem is say the PS5 is a failure and the series X does very well.  The thing is most of Sony corp. hadn't collapsed when the PS3 had its problems and they were able to say themselves but this is different Sony is a lot weaker than they were ten years ago(it is the reason why Disney hasn't bought the SpiderMan brand off of Sony as they see it lets wait them out instead of wasting money.). So then if their one and only successful brand fails the market could really change.

Nate4Drake said:
LatiosGames said:

I think the reason why there's no pricecut is not arrogance, but the pricetag of the next gen. PS5 and XSX will be sold at a massive loss early on, so better fill your war stash while you can.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Nate4Drake said:

I think the reason why there's no pricecut is not arrogance, but the pricetag of the next gen. PS5 and XSX will be sold at a massive loss early on, so better fill your war stash while you can.

especially for which ever one flops hard and right now the ps5 situation is not looking the best as Microsoft we have seen games, the system itself, and controllers, the ps5 we have gotten a logo and a controller. specs wise the have minor differences though depending on which rumors are true the ps5 might have cooling issues which again is not good.  also Microsoft i think is waiting for the price to be reveled for the ps5 just to under cut it as again that would get people on there side. For starting libraries the series X has a bigger one by a land slide as it has all Xbox one and 360 and a good chunk of the original Xbox on day one the ps5 only has 100 ps4 games conformed with the whole ps4 to come that's it.  So save as much money as you can Sony as it is about to hurt unless they can bring in some major overhauls or Microsoft beans it again.