By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 18 April 2020 - PS4 and Xbox One Sales Up Year-on-Year

the-pi-guy said:
LatiosGames said:

especially for which ever one flops hard and right now the ps5 situation is not looking the best as Microsoft we have seen games, the system itself, and controllers, the ps5 we have gotten a logo and a controller. specs wise the have minor differences though depending on which rumors are true the ps5 might have cooling issues which again is not good.  also Microsoft i think is waiting for the price to be reveled for the ps5 just to under cut it as again that would get people on there side. For starting libraries the series X has a bigger one by a land slide as it has all Xbox one and 360 and a good chunk of the original Xbox on day one the ps5 only has 100 ps4 games conformed with the whole ps4 to come that's it.  So save as much money as you can Sony as it is about to hurt unless they can bring in some major overhauls or Microsoft beans it again. 

No it doesn't.  

The 100 games was just what they've tested so far.  With thousands before launch.  

so you are saying the ps4 has a bigger library than the xbox one 360 and orignal xbox? if you have only tested 100 with it only a few months away it means you wont have the full library ready at the start so again its going to be like the 3ds vs the vita the 3ds had the whole ds to fall back on while the vita had nothing which lead to a large gap very early on 

Around the Network
LatiosGames said:
kenjab said:

People have been begging for a PS4 price cut for years now, and it makes less sense to do it now than ever.  Why lower the price now when it's still selling, and they can't possibly meet increased demand during the pandemic?  I just checked a number of online retailers (US based) and the PS4 is sold out everywhere I've seen, unless you want to pay at least $350 for a slim on Amazon.

If Sony knocked $100 off the price of the PS4, they'd have to sell at least 50% more units than what they're selling now in order to break even.  In these times they can't produce enough to keep up with current demand, let alone 50% more.  Keeping the price stable now isn't arrogance, it's common sense.

Though this is Sony arrogance and greed are their middle names.  Look at things like the PS3 launch and then the Sony scandal back in 2018 with games like Minecraft and Fortnite not being able to play with other consoles just PS4 and in fortnite's case mobile phones.  So while a price cut might at this moment seem practical when the virus passes it wont happen (or happen so late that no one cares) because Sony likes to be Sony and that is arrogance and greedy.  One day that arrogance will be the death of them and some of those things are why I have yet to buy a PS4 I own a switch and an Xbox one (the VCR model) along with a ton of consoles most being from Nintendo and out of all of these I bought a ton of my consoles new and again most were from Nintendo expect the Xbox one and the PS2 i own which were also new. The PS2 was when i was really on the Sony hype and then the PS3 happened and that killed the hype for me i would one day get a PS3 but many years later and used.  For the PS4 i will probably do the same.

Why would a poster 29 posts in talk about arrogant Sony.  That's odd...

the-pi-guy said:
LatiosGames said:

so you are saying the ps4 has a bigger library than the xbox one 360 and orignal xbox? if you have only tested 100 with it only a few months away it means you wont have the full library ready at the start so again its going to be like the 3ds vs the vita the 3ds had the whole ds to fall back on while the vita had nothing which lead to a large gap very early on 

>so you are saying the ps4 has a bigger library than the xbox one 360 and orignal xbox?

I very clearly never said any of that.

>if you have only tested 100 with it only a few months away it means you wont have the full library ready at the start

"It means", no what it means is you're guessing.  And your guess flies in the face of all the evidence.  PS5 emulation works exactly like PS4 Pro emulation.  I don't recall there being any issues there.  They specifically said they would be testing thousands of the games in the next few months before launch. 

and that might be the case but when you haven't even show the device off with almost 6 months to it getting on market when everyone else has shown their devices and said what they can do to the world. That leads people like myself to believe that there is a bigger issue going on with the console as a whole meaning why even test these games for a device that may or may not come out.  So while if everything goes well it might have 1000's of games at launch it might have fewer as this is the same company that says PS3 emulation is hard when in fact groups have done it pretty easy on current gen systems.  It is a wait and see game but i feel like there may be issues with the PS5.

the-pi-guy said:
LatiosGames said:

and that might be the case but when you haven't even show the device off with almost 6 months to it getting on market when everyone else has shown their devices and said what they can do to the world. That leads people like myself to believe that there is a bigger issue going on with the console as a whole meaning why even test these games for a device that may or may not come out.  So while if everything goes well it might have 1000's of games at launch it might have fewer as this is the same company that says PS3 emulation is hard when in fact groups have done it pretty easy on current gen systems.  It is a wait and see game but i feel like there may be issues with the PS5.

>and that might be the case but when you haven't even show the device off with almost 6 months

Remember all the issues Sony had with the PS4?  Sony didn't show the PS4 until June.  

Microsoft had with the Xbox One?  The Xbox One wasn't even announced at this point in 2013.  

>the same company that says PS3 emulation is hard when in fact groups have done it pretty easy on current gen systems.  

1.) I don't believe Sony ever said that.  

2.) PS3 emulation is harder than 360 emulation, and even 360 emulation doesn't work by actual emulation.  MS had to do a lot of work to get the games running because the Xbox One isn't strong enough to do straight emulation.  

3.) It's possible for them to do it this gen.  It'll be up to them whether they do it or not.  

>It is a wait and see game but i feel like there may be issues with the PS5.

The "issues" are based off bizarre rumors that are filled with questionable material and concern trolling by taking the absence of confirmation as confirmation of the opposite.  

Take the BC issue:

"We tested the 100 most popular games and most of them worked without any tweaking" suddenly means only 100 games coming to PS5.  

why wasn't the PS4 backward compatible with the PS3 it is because the PS3 was too hard to put in a PS4 but now time has passed you could put a PS5 that could have the whole libraries of the PS4, PS3, PS2, and PS1 especially the last two because they are quite easy to do but why sell you library short just physical games alone the first 3 Sony consoles have over 4,000 games and while they haven't said why they didn't do for the PS5 it is probably a similar reason why Nintendo never put GameCube games in any of the virtual consoles as they always said it was "too hard to do".  Rumors come up in a time like this when a console hasn't been shown off the only image we have is a drawing of what looks like a dev kit. When you competition shows off their new product you try and show yours off very close to that time why so you can upstage or blunt the blow from them showing theirs off first and with the game the Sony and Microsoft play every generation every first is key especially at the start.  why because people talk about it and they build up hype for the product while some trash on the other because of the waits and delays so in a time like this people start to wonder is something wrong? When ever I get one of the consoles the one I would pick up right now is the Series X as a i know what it looks like and know people's opinions on and it also allows me to play my Xbox one and 360 games which means right out the gate i already have more games for than the ps5 as I have yet to pick up a PS4 and it will be some time before I do as i wait for it to get cheap like 50 or 60 bucks.  

People still believing nowadays that BC can hurt console sales??

Wow!

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
LatiosGames said:

Though this is Sony arrogance and greed are their middle names.  Look at things like the PS3 launch and then the Sony scandal back in 2018 with games like Minecraft and Fortnite not being able to play with other consoles just PS4 and in fortnite's case mobile phones.  So while a price cut might at this moment seem practical when the virus passes it wont happen (or happen so late that no one cares) because Sony likes to be Sony and that is arrogance and greedy.  One day that arrogance will be the death of them and some of those things are why I have yet to buy a PS4 I own a switch and an Xbox one (the VCR model) along with a ton of consoles most being from Nintendo and out of all of these I bought a ton of my consoles new and again most were from Nintendo expect the Xbox one and the PS2 i own which were also new. The PS2 was when i was really on the Sony hype and then the PS3 happened and that killed the hype for me i would one day get a PS3 but many years later and used.  For the PS4 i will probably do the same.

Why would a poster 29 posts in talk about arrogant Sony.  That's odd...

*sniffs*  Smells like Zero/Nu in here all of the sudden..

Hiku said:
LatiosGames said:

why wasn't the PS4 backward compatible with the PS3 it is because the PS3 was too hard to put in a PS4 but now time has passed you could put a PS5 that could have the whole libraries of the PS4, PS3, PS2, and PS1 especially the last two because they are quite easy to do but why sell you library short just physical games alone the first 3 Sony consoles have over 4,000 games and while they haven't said why they didn't do for the PS5 it is probably a similar reason why Nintendo never put GameCube games in any of the virtual consoles as they always said it was "too hard to do".  Rumors come up in a time like this when a console hasn't been shown off the only image we have is a drawing of what looks like a dev kit. When you competition shows off their new product you try and show yours off very close to that time why so you can upstage or blunt the blow from them showing theirs off first and with the game the Sony and Microsoft play every generation every first is key especially at the start.  why because people talk about it and they build up hype for the product while some trash on the other because of the waits and delays so in a time like this people start to wonder is something wrong? When ever I get one of the consoles the one I would pick up right now is the Series X as a i know what it looks like and know people's opinions on and it also allows me to play my Xbox one and 360 games which means right out the gate i already have more games for than the ps5 as I have yet to pick up a PS4 and it will be some time before I do as i wait for it to get cheap like 50 or 60 bucks.  

These companies will primarily do things as they've planned months in advance, at the time and place they've decided is best.
It's not as feasible to throw those plans out the window as some people may seem to think.

When Scorpio/X1X was revealed and MS claimed the 'most powerful console' title, there was similar talk of how "Sony now have to announce PS5 to counter X1X". I remember seeing several podcasts about it. But reality was that Sony wasn't nearly as 'concerned' as as some people claimed to be. Whether it was genuine, or just trying to throw shade.

The Playstation brand is quite strong. People know what to expect from a Playstation in terms of games because they've always been consistent in that regard. A reveal is not going to change my mind. It's only a bonus. What can change my mind is games.

games are what sell consoles but if i was looking at the two and say i am a collector or i own and xbox one or 360 and i have ton of games for it i get the series x because even if you have a ps4 and games the ps5 only plays ps4 games and at the beginning when things are slow you might end up playing those older games to pass the time meaning that the series x instantly has an advantage.

While some of Sony's games are critically praised how many are huge commercial successes? While some sell well most stall around 10 million with a few making it to the low teens. Out of the top 50 best selling games of all times 48 of them are Nintendo or 3rd parties with about half or more being Nintendo games. The last two are kinect adventures Microsoft's game around the middle of the list (yes the own Minecraft but that one is a odd case as it was a 3rd party that then they purchased once it was getting popular.) The other one is the last of us and the main reason why it made it was it was sold on two Sony platforms and it is currently at 49 to probably fall out of the top 50 once Nintendo updates their numbers as Mario odyssey is about to over take it and Pokemon will have once they update the numbers along with animal crossing maybe making a surprise appearance as the minimum to appear on the list now is 16 and a half million to appear on the list so this one will come in after next quarter. So that leaves the games they do make to be more critically praised than commercial successes. Why is that? It makes since that a lot of Nintendo games are there because they are very popular series which is why to this day the Mario franchise is still the best selling franchise with Pokemon and super Mario (which is a part of the mario franchise) being a distant 2nd and 3rd with COD and GTA behind them. So why hasn't Sony generated the same mass appeal for their games as if they did they would sell many more systems?

the-pi-guy said:
LatiosGames said:
While some of Sony's games are critically praised how many are huge commercial successes? While some sell well most stall around 10 million with a few making it to the low teens. Out of the top 50 best selling games of all times 48 of them are Nintendo or 3rd parties with about half or more being Nintendo games. The last two are kinect adventures Microsoft's game around the middle of the list (yes the own Minecraft but that one is a odd case as it was a 3rd party that then they purchased once it was getting popular.) The other one is the last of us and the main reason why it made it was it was sold on two Sony platforms and it is currently at 49 to probably fall out of the top 50 once Nintendo updates their numbers as Mario odyssey is about to over take it and Pokemon will have once they update the numbers along with animal crossing maybe making a surprise appearance as the minimum to appear on the list now is 16 and a half million to appear on the list so this one will come in after next quarter. So that leaves the games they do make to be more critically praised than commercial successes. Why is that? It makes since that a lot of Nintendo games are there because they are very popular series which is why to this day the Mario franchise is still the best selling franchise with Pokemon and super Mario (which is a part of the mario franchise) being a distant 2nd and 3rd with COD and GTA behind them. So why hasn't Sony generated the same mass appeal for their games as if they did they would sell many more systems?

1.)  Since when is 10 million the bar?  Out of 10's of thousands of games, only a small percentage sell even a million.  Even fewer sell 5 or 10 million.  Getting to the top 50 is a ridiculous bar for "being a huge commercial success".  

2.)  Because making good games, isn't the same thing as making popular games.  There's a lot of overlap, but making popular games includes things like solid marketing.  Not to mention that multiplayer games tend to be more popular.  Is Wii Play a fantastically better game than any Sony/MS game?  Is Wii Sports nearly the epitome of great gaming?  The latter PS3 and PS4 gens were the first time that Sony had a major hit, largely because they got way better at pushing their own games.  
Spiderman on PS4 seems likely to join the top 50.   It sold 13.2 million in less than 11 months.

it just is just seeing huge runaway successes and that they all seem to be Nintendo and no it wont unless it gets ported early on to the ps5 because even at 13 mill in 11 months its mainly competing with COD modern warfare which is selling pretty good and might squeak it out.  It is also competing with Mario odyssey which is currently the game to beat to get in, Pokemon sword and shield which have passed odyssey, animal crossing which as sold much better and that is  about it.  Well in the bottom 50 there is the last of us and gta 3 which will probably fall off smash ultimate and breath of the wild which are moving up and Mario land. To get in you must do better than Mario land when the numbers come out here soon maybe gta 3 but still that is 17 mill.

LatiosGames said:
the-pi-guy said:

1.)  Since when is 10 million the bar?  Out of 10's of thousands of games, only a small percentage sell even a million.  Even fewer sell 5 or 10 million.  Getting to the top 50 is a ridiculous bar for "being a huge commercial success".  

2.)  Because making good games, isn't the same thing as making popular games.  There's a lot of overlap, but making popular games includes things like solid marketing.  Not to mention that multiplayer games tend to be more popular.  Is Wii Play a fantastically better game than any Sony/MS game?  Is Wii Sports nearly the epitome of great gaming?  The latter PS3 and PS4 gens were the first time that Sony had a major hit, largely because they got way better at pushing their own games.  
Spiderman on PS4 seems likely to join the top 50.   It sold 13.2 million in less than 11 months.

it just is just seeing huge runaway successes and that they all seem to be Nintendo and no it wont unless it gets ported early on to the ps5 because even at 13 mill in 11 months its mainly competing with COD modern warfare which is selling pretty good and might squeak it out.  It is also competing with Mario odyssey which is currently the game to beat to get in, Pokemon sword and shield which have passed odyssey, animal crossing which as sold much better and that is  about it.  Well in the bottom 50 there is the last of us and gta 3 which will probably fall off smash ultimate and breath of the wild which are moving up and Mario land. To get in you must do better than Mario land when the numbers come out here soon maybe gta 3 but still that is 17 mill.

Using this line of though we can say that no home console from Nintendo or Microsoft was successful because they haven't sold more than 110M?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."