By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 18 April 2020 - PS4 and Xbox One Sales Up Year-on-Year

Hiku said:
LatiosGames said:

games are what sell consoles but if i was looking at the two and say i am a collector or i own and xbox one or 360 and i have ton of games for it i get the series x because even if you have a ps4 and games the ps5 only plays ps4 games and at the beginning when things are slow you might end up playing those older games to pass the time meaning that the series x instantly has an advantage.

Playing older games I own and probably already played isn't high up on my priority list.

I'm looking at which system gives me most of the games I want. The next Resident Evil Remake, Persona 6, Monster Hunter World 2, FF7R Part 2, etc.
I'll go where most of those games are.

If things are slow at the beginning of a new console generation, and they usually are for me, I continue playing the many big games I still haven't played from this generation, and pick up a next gen system later.

LatiosGames said:
While some of Sony's games are critically praised how many are huge commercial successes? While some sell well most stall around 10 million with a few making it to the low teens.

Some of the greatest games I've played this generation, or ever really, were happy they broke 2-4 million.

Hell, they were happy when they broke 1 million.

If they're happy, and I'm happy, what's the problem?
I don't see why 10 million is the bar.

If only 10M sellers could be considered a success then gaming would be dead long ago. Even most movies don't sell/are watched in the cinemas by more than 10M people.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

in my book their is a commercial failure below 1 mill commercial eh (it did fine just not the biggest money maker)1-10 million and the commercial success which is 10 million to 20 million and then after that it is a run away success. The reason why i see it is well a lot of companies strive for the 10-20 million group (the big ones do). the little ones they want their game to sell and to be loved by someone so as long as they sell enough to pay their due they are ok. you don't have to see eye to eye that is the glory of having your own opinion and if i seemed to be trolling earlier i wasn't i was just stating what i believed in and i have autism so if i ever seem annoying it isn't my fault. this is the last post on this thread for me

Hiku said:
LatiosGames said:
in my book their is a commercial failure below 1 mill commercial eh (it did fine just not the biggest money maker)1-10 million and the commercial success which is 10 million to 20 million and then after that it is a run away success. 

A game that cost 50 cents to develop, and sold 1 million copies, is a bigger commercial success than a game that cost 100 million to develop and sold 10 million copies.

I'm exaggerating the figures, but the point is that a lot of other factors aside from total sales go into whether a game is a commercial success or not.
Development and marketing budget. Logistics, licensing, DLC/microtransactions, etc.

LatiosGames said:
The reason why i see it is well a lot of companies strive for the 10-20 million group (the big ones do)

Only a handful do. Most big companies are not in that range.

Or do you consider let's say Capcom a small company? They've been one of the biggest names in gaming since 1987, and it took them 30+ years to get one game to break 10m. Monster Hunter World is their only game to have done that.

So to me when I hear that 10m is some sort of minimum bar, it doesn't sound realistic.

i know that it used to be that way but in today's world when as the classic we expect this game to sell 5 million copies day one and it takes several months to even make that day one goal. it was either a resident evil game or a silent hill game that story goes with and while there are some like capcom who are big studios but their games are dedicated to a select group of people and so those companies who have those types of franchises don't set those high goals because other than dedicated fans you wont get that many more people if you do yay you got more money and possibly more fans.

The PS4 with impressive sales figures! FF7R too :)