By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 18 April 2020 - PS4 and Xbox One Sales Up Year-on-Year

Intrinsic said:
A $199 PS4 still has the potential to do wonders saleswise.

I guess sony still believe they don't need it and are fine as is. Probably them not wanting to complicate their manufacturing output any further being that the PS5 is right around the corner.

The sales decrease every year but Sony still doesn't understand that they have to cut the price...

Around the Network
yanis7272 said:
Intrinsic said:

I guess sony still believe they don't need it and are fine as is. Probably them not wanting to complicate their manufacturing output any further being that the PS5 is right around the corner.

The sales decrease every year but Sony still doesn't understand that they have to cut the price...

Surely Sony’s strategy is to maximise profits while the PS4 continues to sell well, they lost so much money during the  PS3 era, surely the PS4 will get a price cut when PS5 releases, making it a cheaper alternative. PS and PS2 were the cheaper alternatives when their successors released, prolonging their lives (PS1-30m, PS2-50m)

CGI-Quality said:
yanis7272 said:

It's a 7-year-old machine. Price cut or not, their sales will continue to decline. And I'm sure they understand the market better than you or I.

When the PS3 was released, the PS2 was sold at 105 millions.

They cut the price and the PS2 continued to have good sales

yanis7272 said:
CGI-Quality said:

It's a 7-year-old machine. Price cut or not, their sales will continue to decline. And I'm sure they understand the market better than you or I.

But that had muxh more to do with the PS3 costing so much initially that nobody could afford it. The sales of the PS2 went down on a trajectory that implies that the pricecut didn't do very much to the sales in the end, having contributed to about 7-10M total max.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
yanis7272 said:

But that had muxh more to do with the PS3 costing so much initially that nobody could afford it. The sales of the PS2 went down on a trajectory that implies that the pricecut didn't do very much to the sales in the end, having contributed to about 7-10M total max.

Sure it was something important

But I know a lot of people that had a Gamecube and bought a PS2 because it was sold new at only 69€ 

They bought it just for exclusive games

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Besides this, I can see them doing later, also to reposition PS4 in the market after PS5 launch, but not now for at least two related reasons: current pandemic pushed many governments to limit outside activities and travel (even in cases this is the dumbest choice possible), so indoors activities, including videogames, received a boost, but the pandemic also negatively affects production and shipping, so any further boost in demand could be almost totally wasted by offer not being able to meet it, so much the worst if it were obtained by cutting profit margin.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Nice and steady. Xbox shouldn’t have a problem cracking the 50 million lifetime.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

trunkswd said:
sales2099 said:
Nice and steady. Xbox shouldn’t have a problem cracking the 50 million lifetime.

With some decent deals this holiday season it will likely surpass 50 million by the end of the year.

If it passes SNES lifetime Id be happy. Xbox One would be the most successful failure in gaming ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Another good week pushed by FF7R, let's see how much longer can PS4 still push in hardware.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trunkswd said:
sales2099 said:

If it passes SNES lifetime Id be happy. Xbox One would be the most successful failure in gaming ;)

I wouldn't call the Xbox One a failure. Was it as successful as the Xbox 360? No. But it didn't flop like the Wii U or PS Vita. 

You right, more like a successful comeback. Had Phil not turned things around this could have easily been another WiiU.