By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo stock for 1.1 billions has been bought by ValueAct and want to make Nintendo as fully digital entertainment Service/ media company EDIT: Add Bloomberg article

Tagged games:

What do you think

This great news for investor 2 4.35%

This great news for Nintendo 5 10.87%

This bad news for gamer 25 54.35%

I don't know how to react to this 12 26.09%

Time to buy Nintendo stock 0 0%

Time to sell Nintendo stock 2 4.35%

Total:46

a big corporate Value act ( which is on the boards of Microsoft and Adobe) has been buying Nintendo stock since 2019 and now they are want to help Nintendo to become a largest Digital entertainment service company

They want to push certain agenda on Nintendo as company to a certain direction which is going to make Nintendo as fully digital entertainment service and becoming the largest one 

Some analyst said it's a good take,  so this could provide valuable guidance as Nintendo continues its digital transformation in software and services.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-22/activist-places-1-billion-bet-on-nintendo-becoming-media-giant

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 21 April 2020

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Nintendo is very protective with their company.
There is no way they will be pushed around somewhere they don't intend to.
This other company will realize it soon.

Not to be offensive but that's what Nintendo boomer said, Nintendo has many millennial board director and member now, they want to make Nintendo grow bigger with new direction. But of course we will have to wait and see.  

Nintendo definitely needs to get more into digital in different ways. One way I think they should do it is by making their virtual library available on Smart Devices as well as allowing late ports of 1st party titles to PC after the bulk of 1st party sales has been made. But like BraLoD said in his post, Nintendo doesn't like being told what to do for better or for worse. They're going to end up with their pants down and tons of Nintendo Stock.

They can go fuck themselves. Besides, it's not happening

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Interesting. Nintendo could definitely expand their reach beyond video games. Back when I was a kid there were Zelda and Super Mario cartoons, and the awful Mario movie. I know they are making a new Mario movie and making a amusement park or something, but they could really be doing a lot more. It seems weird that pokemon is the only Nintendo property that they've really expanded beyond video games and toys.

While of course Nintendo needs to stay razor focused on console gaming, they could do a ton more to expand into mobile gaming, movies, tv shows.

Hell, what if instead of having the retro games service just on the Switch Online they just made that a monthly streaming service you could play anywhere. How many tens of millions of people would sign up to give Nintendo a monthly payment to play a bunch of NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, GC games on their computer or phones or whatever - yes i know emulations exist blah blah but most people would rather pay a little bit to get a real service rather than figure out how to emulate stuff, otherwise nobody would have ever bought any Virtual Console games. Plus Nintendo could sell tons of retro controllers for that service as well.

They could totally create a Nintendo Cinematic Universe type thing for movies the way Marvel has done. Sure you'd have to work at it to make the franchises fit into movie form well, but I could totally see Zelda movies especially, Metroid movies, Kid Icarus, a kids Mario Kart movie, a Smash movie like Avengers, etc. Probably some of them would work live action and some would work better in animation format. Also why does a Smash Bros cartoon tv show not exist?

Yeah I can definitely see the point being made by the company that Nintendo has a ton of room to grow by expanding beyond just selling video game systems and games.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Interesting. Nintendo could definitely expand their reach beyond video games. Back when I was a kid there were Zelda and Super Mario cartoons, and the awful Mario movie. I know they are making a new Mario movie and making a amusement park or something, but they could really be doing a lot more. It seems weird that pokemon is the only Nintendo property that they've really expanded beyond video games and toys.

While of course Nintendo needs to stay razor focused on console gaming, they could do a ton more to expand into mobile gaming, movies, tv shows.

Hell, what if instead of having the retro games service just on the Switch Online they just made that a monthly streaming service you could play anywhere. How many tens of millions of people would sign up to give Nintendo a monthly payment to play a bunch of NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, GC games on their computer or phones or whatever - yes i know emulations exist blah blah but most people would rather pay a little bit to get a real service rather than figure out how to emulate stuff, otherwise nobody would have ever bought any Virtual Console games. Plus Nintendo could sell tons of retro controllers for that service as well.

They could totally create a Nintendo Cinematic Universe type thing for movies the way Marvel has done. Sure you'd have to work at it to make the franchises fit into movie form well, but I could totally see Zelda movies especially, Metroid movies, Kid Icarus, a kids Mario Kart movie, a Smash movie like Avengers, etc. Probably some of them would work live action and some would work better in animation format. Also why does a Smash Bros cartoon tv show not exist?

Yeah I can definitely see the point being made by the company that Nintendo has a ton of room to grow by expanding beyond just selling video game systems and games.

Great response , from business perspective this actually really great opportunity. The problem is like everyone said "nintendo is a bit old" when it comes to new thing in business ". They might be innovative when designing new product and games, but the way how they running the business is very ancient and old. And also some of the fans see this as threat of  "the old and good " Nintendo. Some people will fully agree but some don't want this to happen. 

Wel,whas fun while it lasted i guess. Goodbye old nintendo.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Can I have a Metroid movie pls.

I hate stock investor activist.

SpokenTruth said:
Mar1217 said:
And Nintendo will just scoff at their faces as they should.

According to the report, they've already began meetings with Nintendo on this. Including with the company president.

If Nintendo still owns a majority of shares (which they do) then they can't really force them to do anything can they?   At most they can make Nintendo listen to their demands.  That doesn't mean Nintendo has to do jack shit since they still have majority of shares.