By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo stock for 1.1 billions has been bought by ValueAct and want to make Nintendo as fully digital entertainment Service/ media company EDIT: Add Bloomberg article

Tagged games:

What do you think

This great news for investor 2 4.35%

This great news for Nintendo 5 10.87%

This bad news for gamer 25 54.35%

I don't know how to react to this 12 26.09%

Time to buy Nintendo stock 0 0%

Time to sell Nintendo stock 2 4.35%

Total:46
SpokenTruth said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

it would have to be a whole new Switch hardware release with radio chips and extra antennae for sure, but I believe it is something that could be done without even changing the console's overall design

You want a 9.5" long phone?

why include the joycons, it is 6.8" without them, iPhone Pro Max is 6.2"

still big I know, they could make it smaller if the technology is there

Last edited by dark_gh0st_b0y - on 23 April 2020

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

They can go now, not gonna happen.

It's always up to Nintendo, they have majority stake in their business so it is always up to them to decide the direction they want to go in.

I rather have they focused on gaming and make subsidiary with good degree of independent control to manage and expand so they don't lose their focus.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
Fight-the-Streets said:
Why not see it as potentially positive? Since how long we all rant about Nintendo is being old and stubborn, is not innovating structurally, is not moving forward fast enough with certain technologies and businesses (online service, smart phone business, anyone?)? Such an investor could really bring in new ideas/moving things forward. I personally think that Mr. Furukawa is very smart, he's of a younger generation and he knows all the (old) shortcomings of Nintendo. I truly think he wants that Nintendo becomes an overall better company, a newer company (but not a hipster company). He knows that changes can only come if he listen to outsiders that's why is willing to listen to ValueAct. I think it's smart.

Personally, I wish Nintendo would start an adult brand (of course they have to name it differently) for games with adult content. I know, Nintendo doesn't like blood, violence and war themes but there are so much more adult themes. I also know that Nintendo's current in-house developers neither have the desire nor the skill to make such games with great quality but Nintendo has so much money, they should buy studios or build up new ones from the ground up for the development of such adult games. For me it's just silly to have a situation that if you are an adult gamer you have no choice than to also buy a PlayStation, Xbox or a gaming PC. As much as you love Nintendo, certain content you can't have on it (or just in limited quantity and quality). Nintendo always comes with the excuse that their games appeal to everyone including (young) adults. Yes, Mario Kart, Smash and even Mario Party are great party games where even (young) adults can have great fun with friends but ultimately, Nintendo says to such people: "Thank you for buying Nintendo products but for you to become fully satisfied, we are sorry, but you have to buy a either a PlayStation, Xbox or gaming PC."

You may speak for yourself. 

It also sounds like you are woefully behind the times on Switch 3rd party support for your "blood, violence and war themes but there are so much more adult themes" content.

Ill point out that most high profile adult themed Switch 3rd party content is just hand-me-downs from consoles that have the lions share of its sales. Majority don’t come at all. 

I have to ask, because I know Nintendo fans are passionate, but I want a plain answer: do you think Nintendo should diversify the themes of its games beyond family friendly and not rely on old 3rd party ports? Personally Nintendo was my only console growing up but as an adult I like those adult themed games and stories that Nintendo games just don’t fill. People are entitled to want their tastes accommodated, so shooing people away that want Nintendo to satisfy their growing tastes is sweeping the problem under the rug. You just driving the older generation away as Nintendo welcomes in the next batch of kids to replace them. 

On another note, do you feel Nintendo needs a complete overhaul in their online infrastructure? Not just modern multiplayer infrastructure but having a digital storefront for their legacy titles that is actively updated and not abandoned?

Last edited by sales2099 - on 23 April 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
SpokenTruth said:

It also sounds like you are woefully behind the times on Switch 3rd party support for your "blood, violence and war themes but there are so much more adult themes" content.

Ok I have to point out that most high profile adult themed Switch 3rd party content is just hand-me-downs from consoles that have the lions share of its sales. 

I have to ask, because I know Nintendo fans are by far the most passionate of any faction, but I want a plain answer: do you think Nintendo should diversify the themes of its games beyond family friendly and not rely on old 3rd party ports? Personally Nintendo was my only console growing up but as an adult I like those adult themed games and stories that Nintendo games just don’t fill. People are entitled to want their tastes accommodated, so shooing people away that want Nintendo to satisfy their growing tastes is sweeping the problem under the rug. You just driving the older generation away as Nintendo welcomes in the next batch of kids to replace them. 

On another note, do you feel Nintendo needs a complete overhaul in their online infrastructure? 

They do and they have. They publish M rated games. Nintendo may not develop M rated games but they do publish them and have put characters from M rated games in smash. As a fighter or a spirit. Nintendo paid for the distribution of Wolfenstein The New Colossus. They publish Bayonetta. They made a deal with Blizzard on Diablo III. Skyrim and others for exclusive content.  Switch I believe has the most M rated games of any Nintendo console ever made.  Nintendo could publish a dozen M rated games in a year and people would still whine and complain they are not adult enough or some are too anime. It's like how Nintendo is always creating new IPs but they never count because they are anime or too niche or not gritty enough so usually the same people who call their games kiddie or need to make "adult" games. Which is such a broad brush. What constitutes an "adult" game. To me, people who say that are too insecure to be seen playing Mario by their bro friends.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

sales2099 said:
SpokenTruth said:

Ill point out that most high profile adult themed Switch 3rd party content is just hand-me-downs from consoles that have the lions share of its sales. Majority don’t come at all. 

I have to ask, because I know Nintendo fans are passionate, but I want a plain answer: do you think Nintendo should diversify the themes of its games beyond family friendly and not rely on old 3rd party ports? Personally Nintendo was my only console growing up but as an adult I like those adult themed games and stories that Nintendo games just don’t fill. People are entitled to want their tastes accommodated, so shooing people away that want Nintendo to satisfy their growing tastes is sweeping the problem under the rug. You just driving the older generation away as Nintendo welcomes in the next batch of kids to replace them. 

On another note, do you feel Nintendo needs a complete overhaul in their online infrastructure? Not just modern multiplayer infrastructure but having a digital storefront for their legacy titles that is actively updated and not abandoned?

I'm not sure if games like Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Bayonetta, and Fatal Frame are considered "family-friendly." Even Zelda has dabbed on "mature" themes and seems to be doing it again with the BotW sequel. I think "mature" games are more than adult-themes, sex, gore, violence, etc. As Leynox said, Nintendo has published rated M games. Also, it is ultimately up to Nintendo's developers if they want to tackle a "mature" game akin to the Last of Us or Days Gone or Death Stranding. So far, no developer from Nintendo has publicly mentioned having interest into developing such games.

Nevertheless, part of Nintendo's appeal is not only are their big games family-friendly, they can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone. Do you think there is any other IP that can tap into the female audience like Animal Crossing can, for example?

Nintendo could use an overhaul for their online infrastructure. Is it worth completely using new resources to completely overhaul at this time? Probably not. Maybe for their next console.

Leynos said:
sales2099 said:

Ok I have to point out that most high profile adult themed Switch 3rd party content is just hand-me-downs from consoles that have the lions share of its sales. 

I have to ask, because I know Nintendo fans are by far the most passionate of any faction, but I want a plain answer: do you think Nintendo should diversify the themes of its games beyond family friendly and not rely on old 3rd party ports? Personally Nintendo was my only console growing up but as an adult I like those adult themed games and stories that Nintendo games just don’t fill. People are entitled to want their tastes accommodated, so shooing people away that want Nintendo to satisfy their growing tastes is sweeping the problem under the rug. You just driving the older generation away as Nintendo welcomes in the next batch of kids to replace them. 

On another note, do you feel Nintendo needs a complete overhaul in their online infrastructure? 

They do and they have. They publish M rated games. Nintendo may not develop M rated games but they do publish them and have put characters from M rated games in smash. As a fighter or a spirit. Nintendo paid for the distribution of Wolfenstein The New Colossus. They publish Bayonetta. They made a deal with Blizzard on Diablo III. Skyrim and others for exclusive content.  Switch I believe has the most M rated games of any Nintendo console ever made.  Nintendo could publish a dozen M rated games in a year and people would still whine and complain they are not adult enough or some are too anime. It's like how Nintendo is always creating new IPs but they never count because they are anime or too niche or not gritty enough so usually the same people who call their games kiddie or need to make "adult" games. Which is such a broad brush. What constitutes an "adult" game. To me, people who say that are too insecure to be seen playing Mario by their bro friends.

Smash characters don’t count, you know I mean full games in themselves. Those other titles are kinda old and again most 3rd party games skip Nintendo all together. Under most circumstances this would be unacceptable, which is why Nintendo is the go-to “second console” for millions. 

Id say an adult game constitutes complicated characters with a nuanced story with mature themes like violence, sexuality, and general dark/gritty atmosphere. It’s not wrong to say Nintendo doesn’t offer that with 1st party. They are great at what they do, but you (fans) shouldn’t sweep under the rug concerns that people want a little more then their usual whimsical family friendly couch gaming session games. 

This happens every gen. Never tell a Nintendo fan their console doesn’t have adult content. Because whatever games you list, they are table scraps compared to what PC/Ps/Xbox get year round. My point is I’m defending people that have a legitimate desire to see Nintendo diversify their offerings

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Kai_Mao said:
sales2099 said:

I'm not sure if games like Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Bayonetta, and Fatal Frame are considered "family-friendly." Even Zelda has dabbed on "mature" themes and seems to be doing it again with the BotW sequel. I think "mature" games are more than adult-themes, sex, gore, violence, etc. As Leynox said, Nintendo has published rated M games. Also, it is ultimately up to Nintendo's developers if they want to tackle a "mature" game akin to the Last of Us or Days Gone or Death Stranding. So far, no developer from Nintendo has publicly mentioned having interest into developing such games.

Nevertheless, part of Nintendo's appeal is not only are their big games family-friendly, they can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone. Do you think there is any other IP that can tap into the female audience like Animal Crossing can, for example?

Nintendo could use an overhaul for their online infrastructure. Is it worth completely using new resources to completely overhaul at this time? Probably not. Maybe for their next console.

Not knocking them for what they are doing. There is definitely a market for family friendly titles that span all ages. Kids have their first console to be Nintendo just as adults play Smash/Mario Party/Mario Kart at parties. I’m just saying when peoples tastes change as they grow, Nintendo should fill that market as well. All games you list are just a drop in the bucket compared to what the other consoles get every year, which would be an issue if it were any other console maker. Nintendo is truly blessed with their fans. 

sales2099 said:
SpokenTruth said:

Thank you sales2099 you nailed it - exactly what I wanted to say. By the way, I'm a die-hard Nintendo-gamer, still owning all Nintendo consoles (home consoles and handhelds). Besides, I'm owning a PlayStation 2, 3 and 4 Pro (and never played on PC). Currently, I'm only playing Nintendo Switch, it simply consumes all of my gaming time. I absolutely love most Nintendo games but as pointed out by sales 2099, Nintendo first party doesn't cover enough adult themes. Ironically, I'm thinking of Sony exclusives such as Uncharted, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Halo from Microsoft, etc. Yes, Nintendo is doing a good job with their addictive games from keeping me away from other games that are thematically more my taste. That's funny, but we only have so much time to play;) But for many others, that's not the case and Nintendo is missing on potential sales!

Back in mid-90' to early 2000' I was also a big Manga/Anime admirer but after that almost only shit came out geared too much towards teenagers (for my taste anyway). That's why I also have a natural distaste for Anime-games, there are some great ones with adult themes, Xenoblade Chronicles for example, but some of the characters are just too cringeworthy for my taste which applies to almost all of the Anime-games.

Metroid is probably the most adult Nintendo in-house series. I have nothing to complain about it but I personally don't like if certain things are not explained and are just left in the dark. Metroid leaves too much unexplained for my taste. Of course, it's fun if you can discuss about what happens between the lines and certainly more entertaining than if everything is explained but for my taste just a bit too much is left in the dark.

Again, the above in bold from sales2099 says it all. To reverse the statement: There's no need for Nintendo to shy away adults that want to have adult-themed games. Third parties will always be there but third parties alone are not the solution. If there's much demand for certain themes, Nintendo should fill the gap!