By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo stock for 1.1 billions has been bought by ValueAct and want to make Nintendo as fully digital entertainment Service/ media company EDIT: Add Bloomberg article

Tagged games:

What do you think

This great news for investor 2 4.35%

This great news for Nintendo 5 10.87%

This bad news for gamer 25 54.35%

I don't know how to react to this 12 26.09%

Time to buy Nintendo stock 0 0%

Time to sell Nintendo stock 2 4.35%

Total:46
Leynos said:

It's the fucking garbage that everything has to be these days. Jack of all trades and master of none. I much prefer it when someone is focused on doing one or just a couple of things well.  Nintendo making consoles and games for them. I liked it when Music players were separate and phones were phones. Now companies want to do everything and be mediocre at most of them rather than focus on doing something really well.

So you always carried around a phone, a music player and a camera?

Or have you just forgotten the inconvenience of not being able to listen to music or taking a photo when you only had your phone with you?

Or not being able to contact or get contacted by someone when you left the house with the music player instead of the phone.

Leynos said:

Netflix was great a decade ago. One-stop-shop for pretty much all films and TV shows. Boy things have changed. Now every network has one and wants your $10 a month. We didn't cut the cord. Cable just evolved to something even more greedy.

Netflix never had "pretty much all films and TV shows". And they had only a tiny fraction of streaming content 10 years ago compared to now.

Perhaps you should drop your rose-tinted glasses.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Leynos said:

It's the fucking garbage that everything has to be these days. Jack of all trades and master of none. I much prefer it when someone is focused on doing one or just a couple of things well.  Nintendo making consoles and games for them. I liked it when Music players were separate and phones were phones. Now companies want to do everything and be mediocre at most of them rather than focus on doing something really well.

So you always carried around a phone, a music player and a camera?

Or have you just forgotten the inconvenience of not being able to listen to music or taking a photo when you only had your phone with you?

Or not being able to contact or get contacted by someone when you left the house with the music player instead of the phone.

Leynos said:

Netflix was great a decade ago. One-stop-shop for pretty much all films and TV shows. Boy things have changed. Now every network has one and wants your $10 a month. We didn't cut the cord. Cable just evolved to something even more greedy.

Netflix never had "pretty much all films and TV shows". And they had only a tiny fraction of streaming content 10 years ago compared to now.

Perhaps you should drop your rose-tinted glasses.

Well they did have deal with Starz movie channel in beginning.  Starz has more recent movies.  Perhaps you should have been early subscriber to Netflix before you act like you know something because quite frankly it makes you look like you don't know shit.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 25 April 2020

sethnintendo said:
Jumpin said:

I think digital expansion is one of the smartest things Nintendo can do right now. The less plastic garbage and automobile travel that we can have, the better. Also, as a convenience factor and migrating software to future hardware, digital is vastly superior.

I've personally been all digital since the early 3DS days, and much longer than that if including just PC gaming.

I'm all for reduction in waste but I have one good question for you.  What happens when my Wii U which has my Wii file transfer dies?  My VC, WiiWare games are gone.  Does that sound future proof?

I would say contact Nintendo and ask for them to restore it for you. I personally think the Wii U was terrible, and I bought very little for it, so you’re not going to get me defending it. I don’t like that VC migration was handled so poorly. The one major thing I wanted from the Wii era is a continuation of that virtual console. But Steam and Switch EShop catalogues are recoverable and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future, both companies are attempting a form of permanence for their libraries going forward.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Leynos said:
Digital only people act like Vegans I swear. No one should have options. Everyone should be like them. It's a silly way of thinking.

Strawman fallacy on your part. No one is arguing that.

CaptainExplosion said:
This is horrible news for gamers at large. These stuffed suits who only care about shares are trying to push Nintendo into the shittiest direction possible. -_-

How is that horrible news and the shittiest direction? In my opinion, the shittiest direction Nintendo could potentially take is slashing and burning the Switch platform in a couple of years to make way for the next generation from scratch - as they did with the Wii U, and numerous other generations in the past.

Updating their digital distribution conventions and allowing players to download earlier generation games on all new hardware is one of the best thing Nintendo can do. The Switch is probably the first hardware Nintendo has had where this is an easy possibility.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

the controllers are small, it's not much to just attach them to play and remove them, much better than carrying around two devices and all, better access

yeah would be too big for a pocket, I don't like big phones at all

I don't think it's impossible, but it's been 3 years already, maybe there is technology to make it 0.6" smaller

So carry around the Nintendo Switch Phablet...AND the connecting Joy-cons separately? 

yes!! and not phablet, it can probably be shrank a bit, most people have big phones anyway

I'm sure everyday people who spent hours playing crappy games on their phones would prefer it, and the word of mouth would spread it fast, the potential is crazy big for Nintendo and the video game industry

I believe this is the future, with high spec parts getting smaller in size, and no alternative for buttons, this is 2 in 1

Nintendo would be smart to take the step first

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Jumpin said:
sethnintendo said:

I'm all for reduction in waste but I have one good question for you.  What happens when my Wii U which has my Wii file transfer dies?  My VC, WiiWare games are gone.  Does that sound future proof?

I would say contact Nintendo and ask for them to restore it for you. I personally think the Wii U was terrible, and I bought very little for it, so you’re not going to get me defending it. I don’t like that VC migration was handled so poorly. The one major thing I wanted from the Wii era is a continuation of that virtual console. But Steam and Switch EShop catalogues are recoverable and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future, both companies are attempting a form of permanence for their libraries going forward.

Well I transferred all those WiiWare and VC from my Wii to my Wii U.  Wii shop is closed so there is nothing Nintendo can do if it ever dies.  They would say I'm out of luck.  Not worried though only had one Nintendo console die on me and that was because I put my GameCube in luggage and not carry on.  Never make that mistake and I should have known better way people throw around luggage at airports.

SpokenTruth said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

yes!! and not phablet, it can probably be shrank a bit, most people have big phones anyway

I'm sure everyday people who spent hours playing crappy games on their phones would prefer it, and the word of mouth would spread it fast, the potential is crazy big for Nintendo and the video game industry

I believe this is the future, with high spec parts getting smaller in size, and no alternative for buttons, this is 2 in 1

Nintendo would be smart to take the step first

The current dimensions would pit in the phablet category.  And nobody has a phone that is both that tall and wide.

Also, if you shrink it, you have to completely redesign the Joy-cons just for this model. 

they could definitely shrink it to 'big phone' dimensions, and even attach the current joycons to the smaller screen

but that's not the point, the point is that this is the future of portable gaming, it is inevitable, a matter of when and who will be the first to make it happen

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Besides my previous opinion about Ninty strategies, ValueAct is a hedge fund, notorious for previous attempts to force huge companies strategies after buying as little as 1% of their market cap (they even tried with MS when it was weakened by Ballmer's mistakes in the last years of his management), this time they own little more than 2%, but I seriously doubt they'll persuade the biggest shareholders, surely happy with both current short and long term Ninty strategies, to embrace possibly short sighted new strategies, that could even undermine Ninty's position and power in gaming, dictated by a company that surely can't claim any experience in gaming market comparable to Nintendo's one.
Surely Ninty will use some of its money to do things in other markets that will make the vast majority of its shareholders happy, ValueAct will eventually have to be happy with that too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The day Nintendo becomes a service is the day I unstan video games