By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo stock for 1.1 billions has been bought by ValueAct and want to make Nintendo as fully digital entertainment Service/ media company EDIT: Add Bloomberg article

Tagged games:

What do you think

This great news for investor 2 4.35%

This great news for Nintendo 5 10.87%

This bad news for gamer 25 54.35%

I don't know how to react to this 12 26.09%

Time to buy Nintendo stock 0 0%

Time to sell Nintendo stock 2 4.35%

Total:46
CaptainExplosion said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Besides my previous opinion about Ninty strategies, ValueAct is a hedge fund, notorious for previous attempts to force huge companies strategies after buying as little as 1% of their market cap (they even tried with MS when it was weakened by Ballmer's mistakes in the last years of his management), this time they own little more than 2%, but I seriously doubt they'll persuade the biggest shareholders, surely happy with both current short and long term Ninty strategies, to embrace possibly short sighted new strategies, that could even undermine Ninty's position and power in gaming, dictated by a company that surely can't claim any experience in gaming market comparable to Nintendo's one.
Surely Ninty will use some of its money to do things in other markets that will make the vast majority of its shareholders happy, ValueAct will eventually have to be happy with that too.

Either way, something has to be done to drive away these hedge fund shitheads before they royally fuck things up.

Absolutely. It's necessary for this that those responsible for longer term minded shareholders decisions be strong, intelligent and patient enough to expose short term and narrow minded plans and not be lured by hedge sharks arguments.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

This is actually cringe-worthy news. Nintendo moves at their own pace. The reason why so many love Nintendo is because for better or worse, they do things how they want to do them and their integrity should always be respected - even if you disagree. They were the slowest to adopt disc-based media, digital media, online gaming, DLC, and other standard practices. They were also the last to adopt the software price hike, console price hike, paid online services, and other things. So for better or worse, trying to push Nintendo in a certain direction is not going to work for either company. This is not the move, in my opinion.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

So Nintendo games on PC confirmed?

Sometimes I think there' a portion of Nintendo's fanbase that's a bit crazy.

Neurotic fan: Give us Virtual console Netflix!
Investment Firm X: We agree, and will help Nintendo build it into one of the most powerful platforms in the world.
Same neurotic fan: What? WHY? Nintendo is DOOMED.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Sometimes I think there' a portion of Nintendo's fanbase that's a bit crazy.

Neurotic fan: Give us Virtual console Netflix!
Investment Firm X: We agree, and will help Nintendo build it into one of the most powerful platforms in the world.
Same neurotic fan: What? WHY? Nintendo is DOOMED.

Offering ALSO digital is good, going FULLY digital is a completely different thing. Unless it's digital GOG way, in that case owning a digital copy allows anybody wanting it to make a fully working backup copy. That kind of digital is even better than buying physical for the pros physical has and also other digital services, for the pros digital has, but I don't expect console makers to turn their digital services into GOG-like ones.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!