By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What 20 million sellers does the Switch have left?

burninmylight said:

- Again nothing you posted here says anything you know why? You asked for examples and were given them now you're moving goal posts to argue about can they stand alone but it's expected I guess but highly irrelevant.

- The ones likely to buy it are the ones who bought the prior game plus it's not about wanting its about them having the option to.

- Gen 3 launched in 2003 seven years after Gen 1 so if you were 13 with the first gen you're 20 if you're 10 you're just shy of being classed as an adult with the third the's a significant difference between the mindsets of those age groups as well as where their lives are going even five years is significant. If you want to go the userbase sales route explain how 3DS games even outsold GBA games with a smaller userbase, I'm pointing out things like the animes being named more closely to the games and how the games now signal the new gen for the franchise as a whole instead each part moving more independently of each other while you want to talk about outrage yet forget about Dexit and what impact did that have in the end just posting random sales numbers in your response that have no context doesn't debunk this

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

burninmylight said:

- Again nothing you posted here says anything you know why? You asked for examples and were given them now you're moving goal posts to argue about can they stand alone but it's expected I guess but highly irrelevant.

- The ones likely to buy it are the ones who bought the prior game plus it's not about wanting its about them having the option to.

- Gen 3 launched in 2003 seven years after Gen 1 so if you were 13 with the first gen you're 20 if you're 10 you're just shy of being classed as an adult with the third the's a significant difference between the mindsets of those age groups as well as where their lives are going even five years is significant. If you want to go the userbase sales route explain how 3DS games even outsold GBA games with a smaller userbase, I'm pointing out things like the animes being named more closely to the games and how the games now signal the new gen for the franchise as a whole instead each part moving more independently of each other while you want to talk about outrage yet forget about Dexit and what impact did that have in the end just posting random sales numbers in your response that have no context doesn't debunk this

This is what I asked: "OK, then would you kindly list some examples of major retail/AAA games that released, and then later had DLC packs/extensions released that were just as large in size and content as the original game?"

It's also what I keep going back to. You gave some examples, and I explained why they don't qualify. The goalposts never moved. You just have yet to reach them.

You seem to having a hard time understanding what is being asked of you, because I see that I'm not the only person in this thread who is having trouble getting you to answer the question that was asked.

Funny that you say that, because your idea limits the options of the customer. I don't want Sword/Shield. I refuse to purchase and play them. I'm more interested in a Gen 4 remake, but not as part of a S/S expansion. Your idea limits my options on playing in Sinnoh and puts a paywall and playwall in between me and a potential Sinnoh remake. I've said this the entire time. Those goalposts are collecting dust.

If you want to go the userbase sales route explain how 3DS games even outsold GBA games with a smaller userbase

What? Seriously, what are you going off of?

Pokemon R/S/E: 22.26m

Pokemon X/Y: 16.13m

Pokemon FR/LG: 10.49m

Pokemon OR/AS: 12.73m

Gen 3: 32.75m    Gen 6: 28.86m

Gen 6 + Gen 7: 51.18m

The 3DS needed Gen 7 to outsell the GBA games. So the answer is simple: eight games from three different gens vs. five across two. Does that explanation work for you, or are you going to show me how to move those goalposts? It's not rocket science.

And that's with the GBA's truncated lifecyle. Four years on the market before it got replaced, as opposed to the 3DS' six.

The rest of your rant isn't worth my time.

burninmylight said:

- I gave you examples and then you tried throwing in some added parameters like the whole would someone buy it route either way it doesn't change the fact your question was answered.

- You don't want Sw/Sh well that's too bad I guess if they go the route with expansions, what you're ignoring is that for those who have the game it's a cheaper scenario for them as DLC is when replacing a third version like it or not it's an option.

- You ironically proved my point you know why you ignored factors like for one X/Y didn't have a third version.

Gen 6 still comes in at 30m just 2.75m shy of all of Gen 3 combined you indirectly proved my whole point as a third version would have had it outsell Gen 3 easily, you used userbase to defend the performance on GBA so under what you implied 3DS shouldn't be in as such due to having a lower userbase for all of its run.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 24 April 2020

burninmylight said:

If you want to go the userbase sales route explain how 3DS games even outsold GBA games with a smaller userbase

The 3DS needed Gen 7 to outsell the GBA games. So the answer is simple: eight games from three different gens vs. five across two. Does that explanation work for you, or are you going to show me how to move those goalposts? It's not rocket science.

And that's with the GBA's truncated lifecyle. Four years on the market before it got replaced, as opposed to the 3DS' six.

Okay, I'm not agreeing with the rest of Wyrdness's posts, but your sales numbers argument here is just completely wrong.

First of all, you can't combine the sales of Emerald with Ruby/Sapphire and then say it sold more than X/Y. That's ridiculous. Upgraded versions are almost entirely purchased by people who either already had the originals or wouldn't have purchased the originals to begin with. If you look at every gen's sales, the main titles have sold almost identically for 5 gens straight starting with Ruby/Sapphire, regardless of whether there was a re-release later on.

Secondly, your numbers are incorrect to begin with.

R/S: 16.22 million
Em: 7.06 million
FR/LG: 12.00 million

X/Y: 16.44 million
ORAS: 14.26 million

SuMo: 16.18 million
USUM: 8.70 million

The GBA had a main title, a remake, and an upgraded release. Even taking the less favorable comparison when matching these titles (using SuMo instead of X/Y for the main title,) 3DS comes out on top by a decent margin.

R/S (main) + Em (upgrade) + FR/LG (remake) = 35.28 million
SuMo (main) + USUM (upgrade) + ORAS (remake) = 39.14 million

And if you want a fair comparison of just Gen 6 versus Gen 3:

X/Y + ORAS = 30.70 million
R/S + FR/LG = 28.22 million

That's 2 pairs of games, 2 regions, and 1 gen for each console. 3DS is ahead.

Wyrdness said:
burninmylight said:

- I gave you examples and then you tried throwing in some added parameters like the whole would someone buy it route either way it doesn't change the fact your question was answered.

No, I made it more clear what I was looking for. Which is a moot point, because Iceborne still isn't as large in size and content as MHW, nor is The Old Hunters as large in size and content as Bloodborne. We ignore the part where I asked if you'd buy the expansion as a standalone package if you want. It changes nothing at all.

- You don't want Sw/Sh well that's too bad I guess if they go the route with expansions, what you're ignoring is that for those who have the game it's a cheaper scenario for them as DLC is when replacing a third version like it or not it's an option.

It's not too bad at all, because they won't go that route. There's a reason why The Pokemon Company and Pokemon are a billion dollar business. They don't make customer-friendly decisions; they make good business decisions.

- You ironically proved my point you know why you ignored factors like for one X/Y didn't have a third version.

Gen 6 still comes in at 30m just 2.75m shy of all of Gen 3 combined you indirectly proved my whole point as a third version would have had it outsell Gen 3 easily, you used userbase to defend the performance on GBA so under what you implied 3DS shouldn't be in as such due to having a lower userbase for all of its run.

I gave you examples and then you tried throwing in some added parameters

Just, wow.

You asked a question, I answered. I can't ignore a third version that doesn't exist, buddy. Now you're breaking into parameters and sliding around goalposts when it still comes down to eight 3DS games vs. five GBA games. Also, there's about a five million sold difference between 3DS and GBA, so they are pretty much the same. You can keep right on reaching for every straw you can get ahold of though.

EDIT: making the Gen 4 remake an expansion of Galar would be both a bad business and an anti-customer decision. Just making that clear.

Last edited by burninmylight - on 24 April 2020

Around the Network
burninmylight said:

- Again your question was answered you here just admitted to adding parameters in admitting the question you added later because buy them or not their content is sizable compared to the main game.

- Guess what good business decisions are half the time? Ones that may upset some people as long as an option is there and viable it can't be counted out.

- This is the funniest part because someone else has already addressed the whole point for me are they moving goal posts and reaching for straws as well then?

StarDoor said:
burninmylight said:

Okay, I'm not agreeing with the rest of Wyrdness's posts, but your sales numbers argument here is just completely wrong.

First of all, you can't combine the sales of Emerald with Ruby/Sapphire and then say it sold more than X/Y. That's ridiculous. Upgraded versions are almost entirely purchased by people who either already had the originals or wouldn't have purchased the originals to begin with. If you look at every gen's sales, the main titles have sold almost identically for 5 gens straight starting with Ruby/Sapphire, regardless of whether there was a re-release later on.

Secondly, your numbers are incorrect to begin with.

R/S: 16.22 million
Em: 7.06 million
FR/LG: 12.00 million

X/Y: 16.44 million
ORAS: 14.26 million

SuMo: 16.18 million
USUM: 8.70 million

The GBA had a main title, a remake, and an upgraded release. Even taking the less favorable comparison when matching these titles (using SuMo instead of X/Y for the main title,) 3DS comes out on top by a decent margin.

R/S (main) + Em (upgrade) + FR/LG (remake) = 35.28 million
SuMo (main) + USUM (upgrade) + ORAS (remake) = 39.14 million

And if you want a fair comparison of just Gen 6 versus Gen 3:

X/Y + ORAS = 30.70 million
R/S + FR/LG = 28.22 million

That's 2 pairs of games, 2 regions, and 1 gen for each console. 3DS is ahead.

First of all, you can't combine the sales of Emerald with Ruby/Sapphire and then say it sold more than X/Y.

Yes I can. The question was "3DS games" vs. "GBA games", not "base games on 3DS" vs. "base games on GBA". Eight games vs five. Wyrdness doesn't need your help moving goalposts, but I'm sure he appreciates it nonetheless.

Wyrdness said:
burninmylight said:

- Again your question was answered you here just admitted to adding parameters in admitting the question you added later because buy them or not their content is sizable compared to the main game.

- Guess what good business decisions are half the time? Ones that may upset some people as long as an option is there and viable it can't be counted out.

- This is the funniest part because someone else has already addressed the whole point for me are they moving goal posts and reaching for straws as well then?

-And the answer was wrong, so I made the question simpler to understand. The answer was still wrong. I appreciate the effort.

-So you have nothing else substantial to add other than your own little rant? Good, I guess we're done.

-Yep. I agree though; it is funny, because that someone at least did it much better than you.

Seriously, I'm done with this. We've made our points, and I see no reason to go in circles. It's clear you're at least out of any sort of reasonable reply, even if you're not out of willingness to go back and forth. Go ahead and have your last word. I'm sure means more to you than me.

burninmylight said:

- Because you say so? Okay mate okay.

- You're the one ranting and upset I pointed it out as an option you responded you're the one tilted be it.

- I'm not being reasonable? Yet we have your response to him cool story bro.