By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What 20 million sellers does the Switch have left?

Of the games that are out we expect Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Smash, Mario, and Zelda to all be 20 million sellers.

Are there any future games you think will sell 20 million or are all Switch lifetime 20 million sellers out now?

BotW2? A brand new 2D Mario? Another 3D Mario? The next core Pokemon? Something out of left field?

Around the Network

One word.

Ninjala.

It depends on the market. Many of Nintendo’s highest selling games are original titles, and in the case of Zelda and Animal Crossing, higher quality titles of existing franchises that vastly outsell their predecessors due to market demands.

In another timeline, Earthbound 6 might have sold 20M+

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

One word.

Ninjala.

Ninjala is free to play. Giving a game away for free is not the same as selling a game. So it can't be a 20 million seller, by design.

What is Gungho Online's history of games anyway? Have they made good games in the past?

I’m sure botw 2 will do it and at least one other mario game. If we get MK9 and 9th gen Pokémon on switch, those will do it too. And while I don’t think MP4 stands any chance at 30m, I can see a botw situation for it where it becomes the game to really launch the franchise into the mainstream if they hit a home run and it gets huge critical acclaim. Maybe 10-13mil lt.

Around the Network

I’m not sure if there will be any beyond those that are already there or known to reach it. I don’t think sequels to BotW and Odyssey will make it, sequels on the same consoles are known to perform much worse than their predecessors for those series. I also doubt a 2D Mario will do it, I think it’s days of easily outperforming a 3D counterpart are past it, though you never know how much a new 2D Mario will do, as long as it’s really ‘new’ and not one of the ‘New’ ones. Next gen Pokemon maybe, depending on where SS ends and how much it increased the fanbase. Something out of left field is possible, but I don’t think we’ll see anything as successful as Ring Fit, which won’t make it. Mario Kart 9 would definitely reach 20M though, but I don’t think it’ll come out on Switch.

The switch does not have its own Mario Kart yet so that.

The sequels not reaching.....this is not the Wii. It’s the switch. Botw2 has every potential to outsell its predecessor. Esp if they introduce online battle royale mode or something to it and keep the game alive for years with updates and what not.

Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon SwSh and AC are probably the only 20 million sellers it will have, which is not a small feat. Maybe another Pokemon game could do that, but I feel Game Freak is content with just releasing DLC. Splatoon may eventually get there, but not in this gen. Breath of the Wild 2 can be bigger than the original, but not enough to reach 20 million.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon SwSh and AC are probably the only 20 million sellers it will have, which is not a small feat. Maybe another Pokemon game could do that, but I feel Game Freak is content with just releasing DLC. Splatoon may eventually get there, but not in this gen. Breath of the Wild 2 can be bigger than the original, but not enough to reach 20 million.

You don't think the original botw will pass 20 million? It's not far off, at the end of December it was less than 4 million away and seems to still be selling a decent rate.

pikashoe said:
Darwinianevolution said:

You don't think the original botw will pass 20 million? It's not far off, at the end of December it was less than 4 million away and seems to still be selling a decent rate.

Maybe, I didn't know it was this close to the 20m. Same with Odyssey, actually.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.