By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 15, 2020 (Apr 06 - Apr 12)

Tagged games:

Hiku said:

Well, he is banned now (for being an alt account) but:

That's why. Pretty significant weekly boost as well.
This probably had something to do with it:

Ka-pi96 said:

Gonna have to ask for a source for that. Specifically one for Japan.

I don't know about the average, but Monster Hunter World was over 50% digital in Japan on its opening week, because there was a shortage of physical copies.
Square also reported that they would have difficulties shipping out FF7R due to Covid 19, though I don't know if Japan was one of the affected areas.
Either way, considering the pandemic, I imagine incentive for digital versions have increased in general quite notably.

Personally I bought the digital version of FF7R for that reason, and I normally get games like this physically. (I will some day for collection purposes.)

The game boosting sales were a foregone conclusion. The real question is: Will that boost last some time or will it quickly dip down to pre-FF7R sales again?

Around the Network

Switch is extremely supply constrained.  Even if they get more shipments in I expect them to be supply constrained for a while.  This pandemic is just the perfect mix of increasing demand and constraining supplies for the Switch at the same time.

As for Final Fantasy 7 Remake, I am not surprised that it boosted hardware sales of PS4 as much as it did, even for a 6.5 year old system.  One thing I have found as an old school gamer is that the PS4 really doesn't have a lot of games for me.  I've been extremely disappointed with it even though worldwide it is selling well.  However, FF7R is the type of game that would bring in old school gamers.  I mean, there can be a lot of people who haven't touched a Playstation since PS1 or PS2 era and would come back for FF7R.  I expect PS4 to get something of a bump for the rest of April (at least) just from FF7R as word of mouth travels to other old school gamers.

Ka-pi96 said:
Blood_Tears said:
For anyone comparing this to FF15 physical copies, please remember it's no longer 2016 and digital attach rate is around 50% now. In some cases it's more.
Pretty good sales for PS4 and FF though.
It should have solid sales in the west as well. The digital attach rate should be really high since alot of physical copies were delayed in the West.

Gonna have to ask for a source for that. Specifically one for Japan.

People have been touting Switch digital sales for Animal crossing and we know that PS4 digital sales are higher than Switch. I think it is a foregone conclusion that digital ratios have increased significantly since 2016 in Japan.

tbone51 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Japan doesn't download games like the rest of the world does? There are plenty of companies that have announced 50% or over for digital for some of their AAA games in the past year, Sony, Ubi, Capcom. etc. It's 2020,  You have google, use it..

Japan isn’t the west, in west it’s true some games have greater ratios than 50% here, Japan it’s not the case.

You have to keep in mind that is much higher than before though, and much closer to that 50%. You yourself have been thinking that AC might have a 33% digital ratio, when before in 2016 you might have said 10%.

Switch drop to be expected. More interested in next week sales.  Find a little bit about production capacity then.

swtich has a one week gap due to AC probably selling more then expected and corona slowing supply chain response time.
bundle at 300$ probably helped FF7.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Will Nintendo still do it's fiscal report on April 30th or is it reported due to recent events ?

May 7th

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Probably not a 50% digital attach rate for FF7 Remake but still an "extraordinarily" high one in Japan it seems (link).

Replicant said:

Probably not a 50% digital attach rate for FF7 Remake but still an "extraordinarily" high one in Japan it seems (link).

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-3-5-million-in-three-days

This article says 1 million shipped + digital in Japan, so we're talking 30% digital sales.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 21 April 2020

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Replicant said:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-3-5-million-in-three-days

This article says 1 million shipped + digital in Japan, so we're talking 30% digital sales.

Famitsu, what gematsu quote, do not provide accurate digital estimates. Hard to say what it is until SE or Sony say it.

Are we getting the new sales today?

Signature goes here!