By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which PS1 classic should be remade for this or next generation?

Which PS1 classic should be remade next?

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 165 11.55%

Dino Crisis 204 14.29%

Final Fantasy VIII 150 10.50%

Final Fantasy IX 107 7.49%

Final Fantasy Tactics 76 5.32%

The Legend of Dragoon 117 8.19%

Metal Gear Solid 240 16.81%

Parasite Eve 95 6.65%

Silent Hill 215 15.06%

Other: Please leave a comment with choice 59 4.13%

Total:1,428

Now that I think about it (and no offense to anyone) but I kinda hated vagrant story, too. One of the hardest games I've ever played. In fact, I think it was kinda broken. Looked really good for the hardware but I swore to never play that game again.

Around the Network

Soul Reaver, and give it to From Software, I think it´d be a perfect fit.

Leynos said:
BraLoD said:

I know I love that game more than anything else, that doesn't have anything do it though, as I said multiple times.

I'm not talking about how much I like it, but how much people are still talking about it.

There is no single way Panzer Dragoon Saga or a single Grandia game are more remembered than LoD. Seems like rose-tinted glasses are having the effect there.

The Legend of Dragoon is about as much talked as Xenogears and Suikoden 2. That's what I'm talking about, maybe you didn't see it yourself but LoD tracks a good amount of attention as those other games you consider classics.

Don't believe me? Well, I just made a research on Google Trends then.

The Legend of Dragoon vs Panzer Dragoon Saga vs Grandia 2

(Worldwide last 5 years)

The Legend of Dragoon vs Xenogears vs Suikoden 2

(Worldwide last year)

(Worldwide last 5 years)

(Worldwide since 2004)

(I know Google Trends is not like some definitive proof of interest, but it is some data)

So as we can see:

Panzer Dragoon Saga doesn't remotely compair, and Grandia 2, the oldest numbered title (so we don't get the whole series data) is also considerably lower than The Legend of Dragoon.

And The Legend of Dragoon tracks about the same as Xenogears and Suikoden 2 currently, with Xenogears having a big spyke around the end on 2017 as the only get away from them.

Also even from as back as 2004 LoD comes higher than Suikoden 2, as an example.

So again, not judging what I or anyone else think about those games personally, The Legend of Dragoon has been getting as much attention or more than those games you consider classics.

Not reading all that bullshit. lol using graphs. That is such flawed logic it's not even worth addressing.

Let it go bro. You love a mediocre game. Cool.

There is no way in heck that LoD is better than Grandia, much less Xenogears. I have played and finished the 3 games, and LoD is clearly the worst title. LoD had its shot at greatness and had the advantage of being a late gen PS1 game and a freakishly large budget. It still ranked as an average RPG when it released, because that is what it was. You are not the first person I have met that loved the game, I had a neighbor that thought the game as awesome, as it was his first and only JRPG that he had played. But for those of us how played every RPG that there was to play in the 90s and early 00's, LoD just felt mundane. It's best character was Rose, but everything else was cliched and copied from other games that came before it. Save for a few tracks even the music was pedestrian.

BraLoD said:
SammyGiireal said:

There is no way in heck that LoD is better than Grandia, much less Xenogears. I have played and finished the 3 games, and LoD is clearly the worst title. LoD had its shot at greatness and had the advantage of being a late gen PS1 game and a freakishly large budget. It still ranked as an average RPG when it released, because that is what it was. You are not the first person I have met that loved the game, I had a neighbor that thought the game as awesome, as it was his first and only JRPG that he had played. But for those of us how played every RPG that there was to play in the 90s and early 00's, LoD just felt mundane. It's best character was Rose, but everything else was cliched and copied from other games that came before it. Save for a few tracks even the music was pedestrian.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Anyway, as I said several times I was never discussing which game was better than which, to me LoD would be better than the whole Final Fantasy franchise, that's pointless to discuss, the same way you think otherwise.

What I'm pointing from the beginning is that The Legend of Dragoon is a classic weither someone likes it or not, as it sparks as much if not more interest as those other games people point me as classics.

Please tell me what is pedestrian from its soundtrack, or its story as you mentioned before, that I can't tell you the same about a game from that era that you consider better than it.

Its fun to see people judge LoD as an odd egg when the same eggs at layed all out their basket.

LoD story progression quality is rarely seen in the FF from that era, for example, FF7 as the major candidate of a story that is all over the place and very confusing, even for itself, it needed several other games and medias to try to explain it better, not because it was so good, but because it was so confusing. And don't let me get started about FF8 story.

Then we don't see people pointing I can't say FF8 is a classic because its story was a mess, or its gameplay system was extremely confusing, or its main chars are nit the brightest. But it has a 90 MC score because its Final Fantasy 7 sucessor, so its fine.

Final Fantasy games from that era have outstanding soundtracks indeed, but LoD went for a very different kind of OST, instead of grandiose it was grounded down.

I can for sure understand why would most people preffer FF music, its undenayable extremely good, that doesn't mean LoD is pedestrian, tho.

Fun fact, my favorite FF is 12, which OST is probably the most overlooked from the franchise, and its full blown epic focused. All over it.

But if LoD does something similar to some other game its pedestrian because its too much FF (as if all games don't do something similar to other games), and if it does something different its also pedestrian because its not FF enough.

Its ok if you think its average or even bad, and if I think its the better game ever made, people have different tastes afterall, but that's not what I'm disputing here, at all.

Its also ok if one don't think its a classic, a good bunch of other people do and are still interested on it after 20 years of it going radio silent from just a single game.

I would say the two most impressive facts of people still talking and remembering this game is that it isn't a series but a single release and the studio didn't keep making JRPGs. So it must have be very deep in the heart of several fans.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SammyGiireal said:
Leynos said:

Not reading all that bullshit. lol using graphs. That is such flawed logic it's not even worth addressing.

Let it go bro. You love a mediocre game. Cool.

I don't find anything on the LoD OST that truly stands out to me. Grandia has one of the best main themes of all time. Xenogears is the best $90 on a CD ever spent to me. Everyone knows of Bonds of Sea and Fire. FFIX might be the best FF OST. Suikoden II Imprisoned down and Suikoden II Heart Softening is one of the most relaxing tracks in gaming. Crono Cross bass is iconic with that era and more iconic than the game. Times Scar,my god. Wild Arms very acoustic sounds and whistling. (Maybe just me but the main theme reminds me a little of Nier Automata) Good game, better OST. These still rank among some of the best soundtracks ever IMO. True greatness is remembered. I don't hate LoD...I Just can't remember much about it as nothing stood out to me. Music I remember being ok in parts but nothing on the level of what I mentioned IMO

Last edited by Leynos - on 20 April 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Chrono Cross

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

To be honest, I would like them to remake the entire Playstation Classic from the ground up to be a decent micro-console.

But I would personally like a remake of Final Fantasy 8.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
To be honest, I would like them to remake the entire Playstation Classic from the ground up to be a decent micro-console.

But I would personally like a remake of Final Fantasy 8.

The XSX enhanced BC seems quite interesting.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrono Cross

The first game that comes to my mind is & will always be Xenogears, but after witnessing how SE butchered the FFVII Remake (btw FFVII & Xenogears are my 2 most favorite games ever) I don't want them to touch Xenogears, just thinking how many things can go wrong with those incompetent people handling one of the greatest JRPGs of all time, I don't even wanna think about it, they have already ruin one of my most favorite games ever, so instead of having the same horrible experience all over again with the remake of Xenogears, then it would be for the best to never see a remake of it ever, after all they are not worthy for this job, they haven't make any decent game for the past 20 years now, only trash games that can't compare in the slightest with what Squaresoft made in the 90's the golden age of JRPGs.

So if we exclude Xenogears for the reasons I explained above, the 2 games I would like most to see getting a remake is both from KONAMI, Silent Hill & MGS, I truly love both of those games, but there is another prob here, can we trust the current KONAMI to remake games of such legendary status? I'm not sure about that, Team Silent the devs who made Silent Hill 1-4 have disband & they have long gone now, Kojima as everyone knows have his own studio now so who inside KONAMI will undertake this humongous task? it would be nice if any talented people left because I would really like to play those games in the future with PS5 graphics! that would be a crazy experience as long they make the originals justice.