By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which PS1 classic should be remade for this or next generation?

Which PS1 classic should be remade next?

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 165 11.55%

Dino Crisis 204 14.29%

Final Fantasy VIII 150 10.50%

Final Fantasy IX 107 7.49%

Final Fantasy Tactics 76 5.32%

The Legend of Dragoon 117 8.19%

Metal Gear Solid 240 16.81%

Parasite Eve 95 6.65%

Silent Hill 215 15.06%

Other: Please leave a comment with choice 59 4.13%

Total:1,428

If they were to remake it. This is all I'd wanta visual refresh..besides fixing tetra card battle.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Assault Rigs

SammyGiireal said:
BraLoD said:

Do you mean one of the best selling RPGs from that system that still has a following until now is not a classic because some reviewers didn't like it not being Final Fantasy?

Ok then.

It holds a 74 Metacritic rating. It wasn't just some reviewers, the game was really average. I myself rated the game in the 7s in this site. It sold well, over a million units, because RPGs in general sold well in that era, and there was a massive marketing campaign behind it. A list of RPGs that sold better or comparable units (over a million):

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy Tactics

Dragon Quest/Warrior VII

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Tales of Destiny

Xenogears,

DQ IV,

Arc the Lad,

Star Ocean 2

Saga Frontier

Arc the Lad 2

It was the golden era of the genre, it wasn't uncommon for JRPGs to sell well. Most complaints weren't about LoD not being FF. Most complaints are about its pedestrian story, and the fact that the game actually tries to be like FF. It was the only 4 disc game that I can recall, that if I wanted to go back to a certain town I had to swap discs, the world map was uninspiring (most games allowed for free roaming over a 3-D world map and LoD didn't), and while did enjoy the combat I could say the same for a dozen other JRPGS that I played during that time. 

It has built a cult following though, and it is probably more popular now than it was back when it was released which I guess is impressive, but it really deserved that 7ish score especially when compared to other RPGs of the time.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider have a meta of 75 but I thought it was a great game deserving 85, same with Days Gone. So I see no problem with LoD 74 meta not being considered a classic that could be great on remake, even more when you can change all the problematic portions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

You're free to call it whatever but it doesn't make it so. It came on on PS1 which is one of if not the best era for the genre (including Saturn) and with so much amazing stuff. LoD did nothing to really stand out. It was clear Sony aimed for something big. Few bought in as much better stuff was out there and they have not touched it since.

Yes of course I can call it whatever.

But why is it not a classic, just because you don't personally like it?

Go out and see other people talking about it and see how many are calling it.

What makes it a classic is not my personal taste, for me its much more than that, what makes it a classic is people still talking about it with passion after 20 years.

For me the definition of classic is between 2 or 3 pillars.

Old enough,

High Quality/Regarded as Good,

Fondly Remembered by fans.

And even that have some variations as the "instant classics", niche/cult, etc.

For LoD case, if the story is good enough it can become a great remake since graphics will be totally remade anyway and gameplay will be updated.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
SammyGiireal said:

It holds a 74 Metacritic rating. It wasn't just some reviewers, the game was really average. I myself rated the game in the 7s in this site. It sold well, over a million units, because RPGs in general sold well in that era, and there was a massive marketing campaign behind it. A list of RPGs that sold better or comparable units (over a million):

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy Tactics

Dragon Quest/Warrior VII

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Tales of Destiny

Xenogears,

DQ IV,

Arc the Lad,

Star Ocean 2

Saga Frontier

Arc the Lad 2

It was the golden era of the genre, it wasn't uncommon for JRPGs to sell well. Most complaints weren't about LoD not being FF. Most complaints are about its pedestrian story, and the fact that the game actually tries to be like FF. It was the only 4 disc game that I can recall, that if I wanted to go back to a certain town I had to swap discs, the world map was uninspiring (most games allowed for free roaming over a 3-D world map and LoD didn't), and while did enjoy the combat I could say the same for a dozen other JRPGS that I played during that time. 

It has built a cult following though, and it is probably more popular now than it was back when it was released which I guess is impressive, but it really deserved that 7ish score especially when compared to other RPGs of the time.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider have a meta of 75 but I thought it was a great game deserving 85, same with Days Gone. So I see no problem with LoD 74 meta not being considered a classic that could be great on remake, even more when you can change all the problematic portions.

I will agree on Days Gone. Just downloaded the game a few nights ago, so I only have like 5 hours of play time. I am having a bit more fun than I did with RDR2, mainly because I like the premise more, as I was hooked on the walking dead at some point a few years ago. But I can see how it rated low on Meta. I personally so far lean towards an 8-8.5 score when I finally review it the way it is going. I am having fun, but can also see some of the technical stuff reviewers complained about.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

You're free to call it whatever but it doesn't make it so. It came on on PS1 which is one of if not the best era for the genre (including Saturn) and with so much amazing stuff. LoD did nothing to really stand out. It was clear Sony aimed for something big. Few bought in as much better stuff was out there and they have not touched it since.

Yes of course I can call it whatever.

But why is it not a classic, just because you don't personally like it?

Go out and see other people talking about it and see how many are calling it.

What makes it a classic is not my personal taste, for me its much more than that, what makes it a classic is people still talking about it with passion after 20 years.

Neither dislike nor like it. You seem to not understand what mediocre means and think it means bad. It means average. Nor good or bad. Just average. This is clearly a game you played as a young child and so it's a childhood game so there is a lot of personal sentiment towards it. That's cool. However, nostalgia has rose-tinted goggles. Most of us have a game like that. I have been gaming since the 1980s, been on forums for a long long time. LoD, when brought up, is either what went wrong. A curiosity. A small number of folks who like it a lot. A classic is typically something widely loved and well-rated and remembered for years and years. Few remember LoD. More people talk about Xenogears. Suikoden II. Grandia. Panzer Dragoon Saga. These are smaller games not as big as FF7 but still very much remembered for good reason. You could argue LoD is a cult classic with a small but vocal fanbase. A game that got middling reviews. Was not a mass success. Not widely regarded as a great game and often forgotten by most when bringing up the greatest RPGs of that era. It has the makings of what could be a cult classic but not a classic in the same breath as the true greats of the era.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SammyGiireal said:
DonFerrari said:

I will agree on Days Gone. Just downloaded the game a few nights ago, so I only have like 5 hours of play time. I am having a bit more fun than I did with RDR2, mainly because I like the premise more, as I was hooked on the walking dead at some point a few years ago. But I can see how it rated low on Meta. I personally so far lean towards an 8-8.5 score when I finally review it the way it is going. I am having fun, but can also see some of the technical stuff reviewers complained about.

My only point was to say the meta being low doesn't necessarily mean the game is bad or can't be a classic. Giving two examples of game I played recently that I would give a much higher score (but also wouldn't consider the best of gen or probably not classic)

Shadow1980 said:
Azzanation said:
Ill be in the minority but ill say it.. Colony Wars.

I see you're a man of culture as well.

Colony Wars is a long-dormant Sony franchise I'd love to see rebooted. So long as they kept the branching mission structure, multiple endings, and expansive database of info on the systems, planets, and ships, I'd love to see Sony bring back this space combat classic.

Oh, and the original game also had outstanding audio design for the time. Back in 2000 when I bought my first (and still current) audio system, I would use Colony Wars to demo it (along with the "machine gun deforestation" scene in Predator).

It was a great little franchise for it's time. I polled parasite eve , but would love to see Vagrant story or ghost in the shell.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

- Looks like Vagrant Story was already mentioned.
- I wouldn't be disappointed with the original Silent Hill being remade.
- Here is a blind side game I'd like to see remade but would never happen - Suikoden or Suikoden 2!

Edit: My first choice would have been Shadow Hearts... but that was a early PS2 game!

Last edited by Quartz - on 17 April 2020

Good to see this site is still going 

BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

Neither dislike nor like it. You seem to not understand what mediocre means and think it means bad. It means average. Nor good or bad. Just average. This is clearly a game you played as a young child and so it's a childhood game so there is a lot of personal sentiment towards it. That's cool. However, nostalgia has rose-tinted goggles. Most of us have a game like that. I have been gaming since the 1980s, been on forums for a long long time. LoD, when brought up, is either what went wrong. A curiosity. A small number of folks who like it a lot. A classic is typically something widely loved and well-rated and remembered for years and years. Few remember LoD. More people talk about Xenogears. Suikoden II. Grandia. Panzer Dragoon Saga. These are smaller games not as big as FF7 but still very much remembered for good reason. You could argue LoD is a cult classic with a small but vocal fanbase. A game that got middling reviews. Was not a mass success. Not widely regarded as a great game and often forgotten by most when bringing up the greatest RPGs of that era. It has the makings of what could be a cult classic but not a classic in the same breath as the true greats of the era.

I know I love that game more than anything else, that doesn't have anything do it though, as I said multiple times.

I'm not talking about how much I like it, but how much people are still talking about it.

There is no single way Panzer Dragoon Saga or a single Grandia game are more remembered than LoD. Seems like rose-tinted glasses are having the effect there.

The Legend of Dragoon is about as much talked as Xenogears and Suikoden 2. That's what I'm talking about, maybe you didn't see it yourself but LoD tracks a good amount of attention as those other games you consider classics.

Don't believe me? Well, I just made a research on Google Trends then.

The Legend of Dragoon vs Panzer Dragoon Saga vs Grandia 2

(Worldwide last 5 years)

The Legend of Dragoon vs Xenogears vs Suikoden 2

(Worldwide last year)

(Worldwide last 5 years)

(Worldwide since 2004)

(I know Google Trends is not like some definitive proof of interest, but it is some data)

So as we can see:

Panzer Dragoon Saga doesn't remotely compair, and Grandia 2, the oldest numbered title (so we don't get the whole series data) is also considerably lower than The Legend of Dragoon.

And The Legend of Dragoon tracks about the same as Xenogears and Suikoden 2 currently, with Xenogears having a big spyke around the end on 2017 as the only get away from them.

Also even from as back as 2004 LoD comes higher than Suikoden 2, as an example.

So again, not judging what I or anyone else think about those games personally, The Legend of Dragoon has been getting as much attention or more than those games you consider classics.

Let's say that all these searches and talks about LoD is just to say it is a very bad game that should never be remade =p google trends won't help disprove it kkkk, I'm joking.