By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which PS1 classic should be remade for this or next generation?

Which PS1 classic should be remade next?

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 165 11.55%

Dino Crisis 204 14.29%

Final Fantasy VIII 150 10.50%

Final Fantasy IX 107 7.49%

Final Fantasy Tactics 76 5.32%

The Legend of Dragoon 117 8.19%

Metal Gear Solid 240 16.81%

Parasite Eve 95 6.65%

Silent Hill 215 15.06%

Other: Please leave a comment with choice 59 4.13%

Total:1,428
jonager said:
vagrant story

This guy gets it

Around the Network

Too many remakes lately, most major gaming news in the past couple of years seem to have been remakes or re-releases of major games on new platforms. It's getting more than a little stale at this point and I'd much rather have some riskier and fresh IP's and concepts presented.

More than 1 on this list. Way to many great games on this system to pick just one!

steve

BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

LoD was very mediocre to me. FF8 is the worst FF of that decade. I have seen people talk about Xenogears nonstop for 20 years as a true cult classic. Xenogears Perfect Works for the longest time cost more than the game. Never even seen people bring up LoD much at all on forums til I got here. Vagrant Story is another that truly feels like something unique and fantastic. If someone loves LoD...fine with me. But I can't see it as a classic when it just didn't really stand out. Threads of fate stood out more in my memory and that game is just okay to me. The best RPG with the title Dragoon in it is Panzer Dragoon Saga. Now that is an RPG classic where few have played,just because it was on Saturn and had a low US print run. PDS is one of the best games ever made.

You are free to look at some other forums or sites and see it then, you can also look at youtube too to see how much is still being made about it to this day.

You can think its mediocre, the same way I can think any other game also is, that doesn't take away the fact people are still playing and talking about it after 20 years.

It's a classic you like it or not.

You're free to call it whatever but it doesn't make it so. It came on on PS1 which is one of if not the best era for the genre (including Saturn) and with so much amazing stuff. LoD did nothing to really stand out. It was clear Sony aimed for something big. Few bought in as much better stuff was out there and they have not touched it since.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

LoD was very mediocre to me. FF8 is the worst FF of that decade. I have seen people talk about Xenogears nonstop for 20 years as a true cult classic. Xenogears Perfect Works for the longest time cost more than the game. Never even seen people bring up LoD much at all on forums til I got here. Vagrant Story is another that truly feels like something unique and fantastic. If someone loves LoD...fine with me. But I can't see it as a classic when it just didn't really stand out. Threads of fate stood out more in my memory and that game is just okay to me. The best RPG with the title Dragoon in it is Panzer Dragoon Saga. Now that is an RPG classic where few have played,just because it was on Saturn and had a low US print run. PDS is one of the best games ever made.

You are free to look at some other forums or sites and see it then, you can also look at youtube too to see how much is still being made about it to this day.

You can think its mediocre, the same way I can think any other game also is, that doesn't take away the fact people are still playing and talking about it after 20 years.

I salute you Brad. You are the definition of a true loyal fan. Perhaps LoD is classic by your definition and the definition of its followers. The thing is, I am glad Leynos brought PZD Saga to the conversation because that is a universally regarded a very great game, just like many of the other games I listed. Xenogears for example very well received during its time, incredible game even till this day, there is a near universal agreement on that. Vagrant Story received as a masterpiece during its time, is still considered as such. Let me add another one: Valkyrie Profile.

The Legend of Dragoon was  received as an average title during its heyday Gamepro was the only respectable magazine that I can recall at the time that gave it a perfect score....But Gamepro was known for handing down perfect scores to many undeserving games. EGM had three reviewers, and at that time the only games that had received a perfect scores were OoT, and Metal Gear Solid (meaning their reviews were level headed and strict). The legend of Dragon Received a 7, 5.5 and I am not sure if the other score was in the 6s range. It was an accurate representation of the game's quality in an era flooded with quality JRPGs. 

I question calling it a classic, because I lived through that era, and played ( and finished) many RPGs including LoD and I never thought decades later some people would regard the game as such. I consider LoD to be in the same stratosphere as Legend of Legaia, save for the its massive production values that in truth were on Par with the FFs of the time.

Whether it has been by word of mouth, or just the fact that people these days gamers havent been exposed to many JRPGs, LoD seems to have garnered a very vocal following. I would be hard pressed to find anyone who played (during the 90's early 00s) the list that I mentioned of top sellers to say LoD was better than any of those games. That said compared to JRPGs in the last decade, I can see how a new player can see LoD as an 8-8.5/10 game.

LoD sold well, it rode the wave of popularity that the genre garnered after FFVII and its large marketing budget (God knows there were commercials in every single magazine at the time) and I was one of those sales. That said, I dont think it is a classic. The game has more in common with Shadow Madness in the attempt to emulate the PS1 FFs than it has with the FF titles. 

LoD wasn't a terrible JRPG, but for the most part it wasn't a very good one either. The game was heavily flawed. I loved the Granstream Saga, I still keep my copy of it, and I think it is a cult classic for the 3 or 4 of us who actually played and enjoyed the game lol. But, in all honesty I would never really argue about that game being great ( or a universal classic within the genre) because I know that it really isn't. I do have to admire your love for LoD, and truly I hope someday you get a remaster of it at the least. 

Around the Network

The real answer is Breath of Fire IV.

Ok, but really, Parasite Eve is the one which seems to be the most interesting choice by far.

Not being sarcastic, but I wonder why Dino Crisis is so popular in the West.

SammyGiireal said:
BraLoD said:

I salute you Brad. You are the definition of a true loyal fan. Perhaps LoD is classic by your definition and the definition of its followers. The thing is, I am glad Leynos brought PZD Saga to the conversation because that is a universally regarded a very great game, just like many of the other games I listed. Xenogears for example very well received during its time, incredible game even till this day, there is a near universal agreement on that. Vagrant Story received as a masterpiece during its time, is still considered as such. Let me add another one: Valkyrie Profile.

The Legend of Dragoon was  received as an average title during its heyday Gamepro was the only respectable magazine that I can recall at the time that gave it a perfect score....But Gamepro was known for handing down perfect scores to many undeserving games. EGM had three reviewers, and at that time the only games that had received a perfect scores were OoT, and Metal Gear Solid (meaning their reviews were level headed and strict). The legend of Dragon Received a 7, 5.5 and I am not sure if the other score was in the 6s range. It was an accurate representation of the game's quality in an era flooded with quality JRPGs. 

I question calling it a classic, because I lived through that era, and played ( and finished) many RPGs including LoD and I never thought decades later some people would regard the game as such. I consider LoD to be in the same stratosphere as Legend of Legaia, save for the its massive production values that in truth were on Par with the FFs of the time.

Whether it has been by word of mouth, or just the fact that people these days gamers havent been exposed to many JRPGs, LoD seems to have garnered a very vocal following. I would be hard pressed to find anyone who played (during the 90's early 00s) the list that I mentioned of top sellers to say LoD was better than any of those games. That said compared to JRPGs in the last decade, I can see how a new player can see LoD as an 8-8.5/10 game.

LoD sold well, it rode the wave of popularity that the genre garnered after FFVII and its large marketing budget (God knows there were commercials in every single magazine at the time) and I was one of those sales. That said, I dont think it is a classic. The game has more in common with Shadow Madness in the attempt to emulate the PS1 FFs than it has with the FF titles. 

LoD wasn't a terrible JRPG, but for the most part it wasn't a very good one either. The game was heavily flawed. I loved the Granstream Saga, I still keep my copy of it, and I think it is a cult classic for the 3 or 4 of us who actually played and enjoyed the game lol. But, in all honesty I would never really argue about that game being great ( or a universal classic within the genre) because I know that it really isn't. I do have to admire your love for LoD, and truly I hope someday you get a remaster of it at the least. 

Everything in this post. Dead on. More accurate than Robin Hoods arrows. I love Blue Dragon on 360. I think it's just a little underrated but I'd never call that game great or amazing or a classic. I just really enjoyed it but honestly was a game that aimed high and fell somewhat short on its ambitions. I'd put LoD in there as well.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Jurassic Park made dinosaurs cool in the 90s. So we had a million movies/TV shows/ and games with dinosaurs for years. Dinosaur snack foods. Chicken Nuggets in the shape of dinos in kids frozen dinners. Even Zoos had animatronic dinosaur exhibits. Dino Crisis combined 2 popular things. Resident Evil and Dinosaurs. What's not to love esp during that time period.

Leynos said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Jurassic Park made dinosaurs cool in the 90s. So we had a million movies/TV shows/ and games with dinosaurs for years. Dinosaur snack foods. Chicken Nuggets in the shape of dinos in kids frozen dinners. Even Zoos had animatronic dinosaur exhibits. Dino Crisis combined 2 popular things. Resident Evil and Dinosaurs. What's not to love esp during that time period.

I don't know anything about America, so thank you.