By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which PS1 classic should be remade for this or next generation?

Which PS1 classic should be remade next?

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 165 11.55%

Dino Crisis 204 14.29%

Final Fantasy VIII 150 10.50%

Final Fantasy IX 107 7.49%

Final Fantasy Tactics 76 5.32%

The Legend of Dragoon 117 8.19%

Metal Gear Solid 240 16.81%

Parasite Eve 95 6.65%

Silent Hill 215 15.06%

Other: Please leave a comment with choice 59 4.13%

Total:1,428
rpgmaniac said:
The first game that comes to my mind is & will always be Xenogears, but after witnessing how SE butchered the FFVII Remake (btw FFVII & Xenogears are my 2 most favorite games ever) I don't want them to touch Xenogears, just thinking how many things can go wrong with those incompetent people handling one of the greatest JRPGs of all time, I don't even wanna think about it, they have already ruin one of my most favorite games ever, so instead of having the same horrible experience all over again with the remake of Xenogears, then it would be for the best to never see a remake of it ever, after all they are not worthy for this job, they haven't make any decent game for the past 20 years now, only trash games that can't compare in the slightest with what Squaresoft made in the 90's the golden age of JRPGs.

So if we exclude Xenogears for the reasons I explained above, the 2 games I would like most to see getting a remake is both from KONAMI, Silent Hill & MGS, I truly love both of those games, but there is another prob here, can we trust the current KONAMI to remake games of such legendary status? I'm not sure about that, Team Silent the devs who made Silent Hill 1-4 have disband & they have long gone now, Kojima as everyone knows have his own studio now so who inside KONAMI will undertake this humongous task? it would be nice if any talented people left because I would really like to play those games in the future with PS5 graphics! that would be a crazy experience as long they make the originals justice.

Well the talent behind Xenogears is at Nintendo making Xenoblade. So if they were to remake Xenogears they should just hand it to Monolith and that would mean Switch exclusive but at least Nomura would not get his grubby hands on it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Most wanted for me are FF Tactics and Vagrant Story. I think they have biggest potential as remakes. I also would love to see Activision and EA revive Vigilante 8 and Road Rash series.

I actually think Xenogears (what is Xenogenesis and why is autocorrect trying to get me to use this awesome name?) and Final Fantasy Tactics have aged really really well and don't need a remake. I'm sure they could benefit but, in my opinion, the games that could benefit the most are the games that just look really ugly. The games with the ultra low polygon counts or the games with terrible controls because devs were still figuring it out.

d21lewis said:
I actually think Xenogears (what is Xenogenesis and why is autocorrect trying to get me to use this awesome name?) and Final Fantasy Tactics have aged really really well and don't need a remake. I'm sure they could benefit but, in my opinion, the games that could benefit the most are the games that just look really ugly. The games with the ultra low polygon counts or the games with terrible controls because devs were still figuring it out.

Well, Xenogears is incomplete and trying to avoid direct detailed spoilers but Xenoblade 2 Siren model kit...erm well alludes that Gears could unofficially be canon.

Spoiler!
Also alludes the Conduit is the exact same Zohar from Saga

Tactics I agree on. Hard for that to age.

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 April 2020

These are the games I would like to see remade from that era:

1) Final Fantasy Tactics is my #1 pie in the sky pick.  I would like to see the visuals done in an Octopath Traveler style.  Everything else can stay like PSP version.  They aren't going to do this though, so...

2) Final Fantasy IX.  I would love to see this with updated visuals and music as long as they can fit the entire game in the box.  Really if they have to downgrade everything to PS3 levels just to fit the game in the box, then I am fine with that.  Don't change anything but the graphics.  They aren't going to do this though, so...

3) Final Fantasy VIII.  This game actually does need to be remade from the ground up.  When I played it, I loved the characters, but the battle system sucked so hard.  I would probably like this game a lot more if they remade it like FF7R.  I doubt they are going to do this, so...

4) Never played a Suikoden game, but they are on my short list of old school games to play.  I mostly would just like a compilation of these games on the Switch.  If they remaster the graphics and sound, then all the better.  This isn't going to happen, so...

5) Other PS1 games I'd like to play: Vagrant Story, Vandal Hearts, Valkyrie Profile, (lots of V games), and Xenogears all fall into games I'd like to play but haven't yet.  Add in Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga to that list too (not PS1, but still).  If they remade any of these games I'd get them.  This is unlikely to happen, so...

6) I remember liking Legend of Dragoon a lot.  The story didn't stick with me, but I remember the battle system being really good.  Basically keep the battle system and update the graphics and sound.  They might do this and they might not, so...

7) Symphony of the Night.  It's the one game on the poll that I've both played and think it doesn't need to be changed.  Played it for the first time last year and loved it.  Visuals still look good and gameplay of course is great too.  Don't change it!  Of course this means this is the game most likely to be overhauled from the ground up.

Around the Network

SOTN was remade hundred of times with each Iga vania game as they pretty much all ran with that formula and didn't feel that different. Bloodstained even has basically the same running animation and speed. Bloodstained may as well be SOTN Part II or Reboot. It has so many nods and gameplay elements. Then CV Curse of Darkness Made Hector look almost identical to Alucard.

Leynos said:
rpgmaniac said:
The first game that comes to my mind is & will always be Xenogears, but after witnessing how SE butchered the FFVII Remake (btw FFVII & Xenogears are my 2 most favorite games ever) I don't want them to touch Xenogears, just thinking how many things can go wrong with those incompetent people handling one of the greatest JRPGs of all time, I don't even wanna think about it, they have already ruin one of my most favorite games ever, so instead of having the same horrible experience all over again with the remake of Xenogears, then it would be for the best to never see a remake of it ever, after all they are not worthy for this job, they haven't make any decent game for the past 20 years now, only trash games that can't compare in the slightest with what Squaresoft made in the 90's the golden age of JRPGs.

So if we exclude Xenogears for the reasons I explained above, the 2 games I would like most to see getting a remake is both from KONAMI, Silent Hill & MGS, I truly love both of those games, but there is another prob here, can we trust the current KONAMI to remake games of such legendary status? I'm not sure about that, Team Silent the devs who made Silent Hill 1-4 have disband & they have long gone now, Kojima as everyone knows have his own studio now so who inside KONAMI will undertake this humongous task? it would be nice if any talented people left because I would really like to play those games in the future with PS5 graphics! that would be a crazy experience as long they make the originals justice.

Well the talent behind Xenogears is at Nintendo making Xenoblade. So if they were to remake Xenogears they should just hand it to Monolith and that would mean Switch exclusive but at least Nomura would not get his grubby hands on it.

I don't think SE would lock itself in a exclusivity they can't later expand. And they don't really need to send to the previous team members for a remaster or remake to be good.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

I don't think SE would lock itself in a exclusivity they can't later expand. And they don't really need to send to the previous team members for a remaster or remake to be good.

It's Tak's vision and he never got to complete it. Disc 2 is incomplete so yes they would need him to remake it to complete the story. If we are talking a simple port of a PS1 game to a modern system then no they don't. If a remake then yes they do need him. It would be like  Metal Gear Solid without Kojima. You really think fans would trust someone else to remake it and complete disc 2 without Tak?

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 April 2020

Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

It's Tak's vision and he never got to complete it. Disc 2 is incomplete so yes they would need him to remake it to complete the story. If we are talking a simple port of a PS1 game to a modern system then no they don't. If a remake then yes they do need him. It would be like  Metal Gear Solid without Kojima. You really think fans would trust someone else to remake it and complete disc 2 without Tak?

They don't need to give the game for them to have Tak supporting the game, they may hire him as a consultor or even just ask for the key points that were missing. But sure if they want they can give away the game for remake and launch on Switch only, just think it is unlikely.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

They don't need to give the game for them to have Tak supporting the game, they may hire him as a consultor or even just ask for the key points that were missing. But sure if they want they can give away the game for remake and launch on Switch only, just think it is unlikely.

They can't hire him unless he leaved Monolith