By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Witcher 3 sales update as of the end of 2019, roughly 28m with rough platform breakdown

PotentHerbs said:
This has to be the best selling RPG of all time, right?

Skyrim is the only RPG I can think of that might have sold more than 30 Million. Maybe FF7R has a chance but that seems like a long shot.

Yes, Skyrim is still #1, it had already sold 30m by November 2016, which was 1 month after the XB1 and PS4 ports, and before the Switch and VR versions. Bethesda hasn’t announced updated numbers since then, but I would guess it has passed 35m by now, or at least close to it. Witcher 3 might catch it eventually, especially if they decide to port it to PS5 and Xbox Series, but I doubt they will, they seem to be fully focused on Cyberpunk currently.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Skyrim is the only RPG I can think of that might have sold more than 30 Million. Maybe FF7R has a chance but that seems like a long shot.

Yes, Skyrim is still #1, it had already sold 30m by November 2016, which was 1 month after the XB1 and PS4 ports, and before the Switch and VR versions. Bethesda hasn’t announced updated numbers since then, but I would guess it has passed 35m by now, or at least close to it. Witcher 3 might catch it eventually, especially if they decide to port it to PS5 and Xbox Series, but I doubt they will, they seem to be fully focused on Cyberpunk currently.

Yeah, very doubtful Witcher 3 can catch up to Skyrim, but it goes to show the strides CDPR have made. 

Cyberpunk might end up being the best selling new IP this gen considering Horizon: Zero Dawn is on a single platform (although I'm not sure what to expect sales wise with the Steam release).

Interesting how they went from originally not really understanding how to make games, almost filling for bankruptcy, to then producing one of the biggest games of this generation.

PotentHerbs said:

Pokemon Red and Blue has sold more.  It's at a little above 31 million with just the GB release.  It should probably beat that.  But it was also released on VC for 3DS, and we'll probably never know how many copies it sold there.  If you include Pokemon Yellow then it definitely won't pass it or if you include the GBAmakes.  

Can we get one of these two threads on the exact same topic locked? One is enough.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

That's HUGE

Never realized this game was so popular

nice chart. Also shows how consoles are still the money maker for developers despite PC being the top selling platform. Purchases at full (or close to full) price are just more common on consoles. Also keep in mind this game is quite PC centric.
Switch sales are a bit disappointing IMO. Yeah it's a late port but it was released during a time where the Witcher hype started again. Being 1% above the worst selling version is not that great. It's also at less than half (roughly 40%) of the X1 version when comparing launches. The X1 had a 19m user base at the end of 2015.

Last edited by Barozi - on 09 April 2020

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow are the best selling RPGs ever. 46.02 mil on the GameBoy and 1.5 Mil on the 3DS. And for the 3DS that number is as of April 2016, two months after they came out on 3DS. Most likely in total over 50 mil.

As for open world Western RPGs it is either number 1 or 2 in sales. The other game being Skyrim.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Chazore said:
Those long tail sales definitely paid off in the long run for them. It'll be interesting to see how far Cyberpunk's can go for, though that game will be on just 3 platforms, but also the next gen systems.

I wouldn't doubt a remaster Witcher 3 for next gen to have some couple million more sales even with BC existing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."