By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Most re-watchable movies?

TruckOSaurus said:
Jumpin said:

I find the whole trilogy endlessly rewatchable. The second one is one of my favourite comedy films of all time.

Sexshop clerk: Is this some kind of bust?

Frank: Well... it's very impressive yes but we need to ask you a few question.

Nice beaver!

That was one of those movies where you blink and miss five jokes. Watched the first two recently and caught so many that my younger self just didn't understand.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Nice beaver!

That was one of those movies where you blink and miss five jokes. Watched the first two recently and caught so many that my younger self just didn't understand.

Yeah same here. I saw those movies when I was in my teens and didn't really catch all the jokes. The "Nice beaver" joke is one of my favorite in any movie ever and the sequence where Frank breaks in Ludwig's office up to the "sexual assault with a concrete dildo" has me in stitches everytime.

Signature goes here!

d21lewis said:
I LOVED The Dark Knight. Still do but the more I watch it, the more it kinda falls apart.

For me it fell apart so so hard at the very first watch, I almost puked on the theater floor. I could never understand what is it that people like so much about this piece. Well (and I mean no disrespect with this, really, especially not towards you - it's just the mention to the movie), lots of people vote for Trump, think the Earth is flat or that vaccines are bad, so there you have it...

d21lewis said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Nice beaver!

Yeah, awesome movies. Got to go through all of them again. have you seen the series that preceded the movies? Great as well. 

farlaff said:
d21lewis said:

Nice beaver!

Yeah, awesome movies. Got to go through all of them again. have you seen the series that preceded the movies? Great as well. 

The Police Squad series? Back when I was a kid, they played all of the episodes to promote the movie but I haven't seen it since probably the late 80s-early 90s. Definitely need to watch them again with more educated eyes.

Around the Network

Several mentions of The Shining.
One thing I love about The Shining, is how it took 35 years to have a profound influence on the genre: The Babadook, Hereditary, Get Out, and others are the new style of horror... slow burns, genre bending, and the descending madness of its characters which twist the viewer perception of what is actually going on in the film.

Why did it take so long?

Slashers dominated for like 30 years - Basically the formula of "First victims killed, protagonist tie to the story, next set of victims killed (usually related to the protagonist), victim 3, victim 4, victim 5, etc... until most of the cast is dead and then the protagonist usually figures out how to stop the villain or escape."

Then along comes James Wan and Saw. But the difference really didn't make an impact, critics focused on the violence. So James Wan, with a tiny budget, made a film to answer the critics by showing that he could make a brilliant horror film with little to no violence: Insidious. This led to his much higher-budget and very similar style film The Conjuring, and its sequel Conjuring 2 - which is one of the most terrifying films I have ever seen... and almost no violence in it. Anyway, I'm getting away from my point - James Wan's films blew apart the dominance of the tired slasher genre and opened the doors to other styles of horror film. It didn't take long before production companies realized there was opportunity for auteurs to find success making horror films in the style of one of their all-time favourites: The Shining. Then 35-40 years later, we see a whole age of horror film based on the Shining; and IMO, this is one of the best periods of time to be a fan of the genre, it hasn't been this good since the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Do I find The Shining to be one of the most rewatchable films of all time? I don't, but it's still one of my favourites, and I'm glad there are many out there that do find it highly rewatchable.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.