By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Feature: The 10 Worst-Selling Consoles of All Time

Just cause console doesn't sell doesn't mean its bad. I'd still take Saturn over N64. I'd take a roll of toilet paper over n64 had Rare not developed games for it...

And thus far I'd take Dreamcast over PS3 any day.

Around the Network

Apple Pippin deserves it, it sold 42k in its lifetime.
And People say that the PS3 is doing bad.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

The Sega Saturn was the most successful Sega console in Japan. Until FFVII released the Saturn was the number one system in Japan. Sega's problem was poor management. Sega of Japan was run by idiots.

They forced Sega of America to release the 32X when they were against it. Tom Kalinske, Sega of America president at the time, told the Sega of Japan that releasing the 32X right before the Saturn would piss off their fanbase, they didn't listen to him and he quit. They hired Bernie Stolar and Sega never recovered in the US.

As a direct result of this, they had to prematurely end the lifespan of the Saturn in Japan because the Saturn bombed so hard in the US. Ending the successful run of the Saturn in Japan pissed of Japanese third party developers and retailers. This combined with anger several major American retailers and developers had over the Saturn's surprise early launch in the US doomed the Dreamcast before it even launched.

I bought 2 32x's. Actually, the first one never worked, so I returned it for a second one which also didn't work.

In the end, you had to just mess with it for hours to get the darn thing to even play.

It had Virtua Fighter though. GD I was such a n00b back then. Didn't even own Earthbound or FFIII for my SNES and got all into Sega which SUCKS besides sonic.

Now the DC was awesome, I have mine still. Soul Calibur and PSO, man, good times.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Neos said:
you know, for several platforms we actually have different numbers, this could be interesting information.

On topic: i was expecting the gamecube on the list at least..

Screw the GC, the Wii should have been on the list!

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network

Interesting list, the dreamcast kicked ass, i remember playing it all the time, and i never even heard of that apple system.

aww poor Dreamcast, it deserves more

darthdevidem01 said:
I am glad they didn't put Ps3 up there

I'm sure some people on this site would have done it during last year... but i think it's for discontinued consoles

The list is biased has hell they left out the Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Amstrad GX4000, Commodore 64, Itellivision, And Colecovision. I also believe the Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD could have made the list. 2 of the video game consoles need another console to work thus being add ons. Of course they are only going to sell to a fraction of the consoles userbase. If they wanted to include add ons to the list then add the Atari Jaguar CD and N64 DD. I think instead of them actually doing some research into the article they found it easier to bash Sega

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

There are some consoles few people on these boards would have even heard of that sold far less than some of the systems on that list.