By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Feature: The 10 Worst-Selling Consoles of All Time

GhaudePhaede010 said:
I own a Saturn, Dreamcast, Virtual Boy, 3DO, and Jaguar. No mention of 7800 huh? Nor the Neo Geo Pocket Color... two add-ons? This list screams of bias and bogus.

No Ngage? WTF?

look at the handheld list :) lol they left out so many systems :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Yeah, they left out some big ones, but overall pretty fair. Too bad these "official" reports don't tell you how godlike and unique the top Saturn/Sega CD games were. People just act like they had shovelware so of course they didn't sell. Uh no.

I remember last year people here were questioning if the PS3 would sell over 10 million thus making it on this list. That's back when Sony was supposed to withdraw from the console race this year.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

10. Dreamcast

Released in the fall of 1998 in Japan and a year later in the US, the Dreamcast was Sega's fifth and final video game system. The much beloved console launched years ahead of the competition but ultimately struggled to shed the negative reputation it had gained during the Saturn, Sega 32X, and Sega CD days. As a result, casual gamers and jaded third-party developers doubted Sega's ability to deliver. Despite a much celebrated game library, the Dreamcast only sold 10.6 million units during its short, three-year lifespan.

Key games: Soul Calibur, Seaman, Crazy Taxi

i've got a question. where the hell is shenmue series, sonic adventure series, jet set radio or even skies of arcadia did the pull those titles out of their *****?

That's an old list -- though nothing current would really change things.

And there are a lot of systems from the classic age which would belong on there.

For example, the Intellivision which is thought to be somewhat successful sold only 6M units (3M original run and 3M post-crash run). (

The Colecovision is also thought to have sold 6M (according to Wikipedia), though the article claims only 1M plus sales pre-crash. (The CV was also sold as the Dina clone by Telegames for years).

I cannot find a quick information on the Atari 5200 or 7800.
Meanwhile, the Atari 2600 is thought to have sold 30M over its close to a decade-and-a-half lifespan.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Sega Domination!!!

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Interesting list, I hadn't noticed how low the Virtual Boy's sales were.

Why no pic of the virtual boy???

This really demonstrates Sega's downfall in consoles.

the 3DO is so ugly omfg.

I had two of them. I was happy with both, But that's 'cause I like me Sega.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009