By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Feature: The 10 Worst-Selling Consoles of All Time

^ Yeah, I NEVER heard of the Apple Pippen.....Did anyone have this???

Around the Network

Go look at a list of consoles out before the video game crash and I bet you can find 10 consoles to replace every single one on this list.

Like the Telstar or the Wonderswan?

From the Virtual Boy article: "Priced at a pricey $180 dollars..." I've never respected Gamepro to begin with, but damn, do they even have editors over there?

I'm curently selling my CD-i on Ebay if anyone is interested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320240459893&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011

In 1992...

CD-i = £750 / $1500

Space Ace = £50 / $100

Dragons Lair = £50 / $100

...Ebay 2008 = about £20 / $40 if I'm lucky!...OUCH!!

:P

It even had interrnet access using an external 28.8k modem which I was given for free as one of the first purchasers of a CD-i in the UK.

I'm sure there are a lot of consoles that have sold worse than these, but it's not worth bothering for them. And for all the people crying for the N-Gage to be on the list and what not, well, it's CONSOLES.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
I'm sure there are a lot of consoles that have sold worse than these, but it's not worth bothering for them. And for all the people crying for the N-Gage to be on the list and what not, well, it's CONSOLES.

by them not reporting on these more obscure video game consoles they are ignoring a great deal of video gaming history. Ive been a video gamer since I was four years old when I got the Sega master system in 1987 but most of the consoles on the list were from the mid 90's on. thats largely ignoring 20 years of video gaming history when it started in 1972.  I wonder what a new list would look like in 2010 if they decided to largely ignore everyting  that happened befor the year 1996.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

Umm you forgot to put the PS3 on the list! Zing!

bbsin said:
Umm you forgot to put the PS3 on the list! Zing!

if your using the above list has an indicator the PS3 has surpassed the Dreamcast in sales and it still has plenty of life to it. One can argue that the list is biased anyways because there were plenty of other platforms that sold fewer units then a lot of the units on the list.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

the list is bogus, gamepro definitely made up numbers for the jag, 32x, and probably the cd-i as well,
sega delivered roughly 350000 32x units during the launch, with over 200000 sold after thanksgiving
I'll have to look through old press releases to find sales data, But I know 2 jaguar games sold over 300000 copies (Tempest 2k and AvP), granted they had very high attach rates (around 50% for AvP supposedly) but regardless the list is bunk, they made up numbers, I can't find any references for their numbers so therefore they made them up

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The list is biased,and pure Sega bashing, it is quite ironic that the Dreamcast was Sega's best console,with a record breaking launch. The only problem being it was too far ahead of it's time,and Sega was $1 billion in the hole, so they could not promote it against a DVD player(PS2).
The only console of it's generation to be on-line capable(with included Browser) right out of the box.
The only console of it's generation with 480p(via VGA)
Three New games last year-2-Official,1 home-brew, with another 1 or 2 due out in a couple of months.
As far as the Dreamcast is concerned"The truth is out there"

Dreamcast-18 years later "It's Still Thinking"