By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct Mini has just launched

Shaunodon said:

Never played any of the Mana games, but the snippet of gameplay from the Trials remake looked nice, so I hope there's a demo for that too.

Yeah, Trials of Mana demo is out now for a while. I think it is even one of these demos, where you can take your savegame into the full game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Anyway, you know some people here are grapping at straws here with "Xenoblade is a remaster" when another game in the same list, Panzer Dragoon Remake, litteraly fits their definition of what a remaster should be. Yet, you don't see them question it. As usual coginitive dissonance make new victims.

(Xeno DE is a Remake btw)

I know nothing about Panzer Dragoon, so I can't know if, as its title suggests, it's an actual remake.

Borderlands confirmed to have motion controls on switch.

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-03-26-borderlands-legendary-collection/

Hiku said:
Leynos said:

When it comes to Nintendo remakes or a new entry they are always ALWAYS ALWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS "enhanced port" to the clueless. Splatoon 2 "enhanced port" despite being a full sequel. Same with Ultimate despite new engine, models, remade stages and the like. Imagine someone calling Phsyco 1998 a "remaster" of the 1960 film. That's how silly that logic is. Part of the blame is stupid marketing these days.

They probably did some market research that says the term remaster is looked at more favorably than remake or reboot. This is speculative but the terms of remake and reboot seem to have more negative connotations these days than not. Remaster, oh they are just touching up thing I love vs remake. OH GOD! They are going to fuck it up and ruin my childhood!. Same with a reboot. Even reimagining. FFVIIR is a reimagining. Xenoblade is a remake. DMC HD Collection is remastered.

I'm not sure why people are so confused by these terms.

Re-master

You apply new or enhanced textures, etc on the same old skeleton.
If a character walked 3 steps to grab the contents of a chest in the original, they will still take 3 steps in the Remaster, but looking/sounding better.

Re-make

You create (or use) new skeletons that were not in the original. On top of adding new visuals/audio on the new polygons that are not restricted by the framework of the original.
If a character walked 3 steps to grab the contents of a chest in the original, they may take 15 steps now. Or still 3. Or none.

When too much of the original premise has been changed, people some times use the term Re-imagining. But main contrast between Remake and Remaster is touching up an old framework, vs recreating it.
No matter how much new content is in Persona 5 Royal, it's not a Remake, because it's literally built on the same old game.

Exactly.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I created a "remake/reboot/remaster?" (or something like that) thread maybe ten years ago if not longer. Somebody needs to make another. I personally find the argument not fascinating than the Nintendo Direct discussion!

Btw, I used games like Super Mario All Stars, Resident Evil GameCube, and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Shakes as examples of I remember correctly...

Around the Network

I really liked Octopath, so I'll definitely be giving BD2 a go since it's from the same team. Really happy X-COM 2 has finally made it's way to the Switch too, been waiting since launch for that one.

Mar1217 said:
Btw, I finally looked through Bravely Default II ...

Wow, what an upgrade this game is ! The crisp visual retaining the same pop-up book style with a great depth perception in HD. Revamped overworld and dungeons, monster encounters are not random anymore, cutscenes have dynamic shots and I find the cast quite lovable at first sight.

Play the demo, gosh dangit !!

I think we might see another success for the little Sqaure Enix Team ^^

If I can tear myself away from Animal Crossing, I will be playing it for sure. I was turned off from the series after the fight all the bosses again bit in the first game, didn't even get the 2nd. The visuals are definitely pretty nice, maybe this time some people wont say the game isn't worth $60 like they did for Octopath. I say some people, but since I still don't have Octopath as I've been waiting for a sale, I guess I'm one of them. :L

RingoGaSuki said:
I really liked Octopath, so I'll definitely be giving BD2 a go since it's from the same team. Really happy X-COM 2 has finally made it's way to the Switch too, been waiting since launch for that one.

Ocotpath is Aquire. Bravely Default is Silicon Studio.

Not great, but not too bad. Great to see 2K showing the Switch some love. Will definitely get the Bioshock Collection.....if they are all on the card of course.

Ninjala looks more fun than Bleeding Edge