By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monolith Soft had 70 employees in 2011. They now have 243

Mar1217 said:
Metallox said:
Patiently waiting for a massive game that could surprise everyone. Xenoblade 2 was fine but I'd prefer a more radical evolution, like that one that happened with Xenoblade X after the original.

"After the cult classics Xenogears and Xenosaga series. After the highly acclaimed and revered Xenoblade, here comes the next chapter in this incredible world ...

XenoFantasy !! "

Xenocross!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I think that if developers use a new engine for recreating their "pre-existing" game it should be called Remake. Xenoblade Chronicles DE uses Xenoblade 2 engine, but almost all the game will be the same as the original, maybe with some things changed in order to adjust stuff from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and I think this is the reason why it's called Definitive Edition). Like Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy and Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled I would call Xenoblade Chronicles DE an almost 1:1 remake

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

SpokenTruth said:
Let me simplify this:

Remaster - To edit again an already existing work.
Remake - To recreate from scratch an already existing work.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definition Edition is an edition of an existing work, fitting your top definition.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a recreation from an already existing work from scratch, fitting your bottom definition.

But to be more precise, a remaster isn't just an edit: patches, mods, and ports are also edits. A Remaster is an edition fit for newer generations of hardware. They generally replace outdated engines and graphics with ones appropriate for the generation.
Remakes are more precisely defined as new adaptations of an existing game in the same format (Film remakes are adaptations of earlier films, video game remakes are adaptations of earlier video games).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

AlbiNecroxz said:
I think that if developers use a new engine for recreating their "pre-existing" game it should be called Remake. Xenoblade Chronicles DE uses Xenoblade 2 engine, but almost all the game will be the same as the original, maybe with some things changed in order to adjust stuff from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and I think this is the reason why it's called Definitive Edition). Like Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy and Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled I would call Xenoblade Chronicles DE an almost 1:1 remake

They are adding a cut area and we have not seen the battle system yet.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

All I know is i already played Xenoblade Chronicles in 2011, so the definitive addition may as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:
All I know is i already played Xenoblade Chronicles in 2011, so the definitive addition may as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.

Plot twist : 

A playable demo of their new IP unlocks at the end.

I'd watch it on youtube and treat it like it was a Treehouse demo shown at E3 or something. :p

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I'd watch it on youtube and treat it like it was a Treehouse demo shown at E3 or something. :p

Better with got an epilogue !

Damn, if that shit was released separately like the Torna the Golden Country expansion I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Ah well.

Jumpin said:
Leynos said:

Don't quote me or at me again because it's hilarious how wrong you are but this is the hill you die on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remake

"A remake is a production of a filmtelevision seriesvideo game, or similar form of entertainment that is based upon an earlier production. A remake tells the same story as the original but uses a different cast and may alter the theme or target audience.[1]"

"A video game remake is a video game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and new audiences. Typically, a remake of such game software shares essentially its title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and core story elements with the original. Remakes are often made by the original developer or copyright holder, although some are made by the fan community. If created by the community, video game remakes are sometimes also called fan games and can be seen as part of the retrogaming phenomenon."

This is from your wikipedia link. Did you even bother to read it?

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is close adaption modernized for newer hardware and newer audiences. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is NOT adapted from an earlier game, IT IS an an edition/update of an earlier game, remastered for newer hardware. The gameplay, story, voice work, and design remain unchanged and unmodernized.

Also from Wikipedia "Remastering a video game is more difficult than remastering a film or music recording because the video game's graphics show their age.[13] This can be due to a number of factors, notably lower resolutions and less complicated rendering engines (usually 3D) at the time of release, while implementing newer graphical technologies may also change the gameplay."

However, this definition does fit Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. It covers both your key points: new graphics and new engine.

If you're going to come at someone pompously and trollishly, it's best not to own yourself in the process. And if you really have the audacity to say that your going to attack and kill someone on a hill, do so with something a little more credible than Wikipedia, and if Wikipedia is your sword, best to make it one you're not going to trip and fall on. 

Also, now that I've taken you to school, learn how to read: Xenoblade Definitive EDITION, Final Fantasy REMAKE.

Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD are remaster, then why not Xenoblade HD?

Metallox said:
Patiently waiting for a massive game that could surprise everyone. Xenoblade 2 was fine but I'd prefer a more radical evolution, like that one that happened with Xenoblade X after the original.

Yeah, I actually love that one and hope it gets a port to Switch!

I'd like to see another creative stretch for their next project as well. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
Metallox said:

Yeah, I actually love that one and hope it gets a port to Switch!

I'd like to see another creative stretch for their next project as well. 

Ugly? Pfft. X is still the best looking Xenoblade game, including the Definitive Edition of 1.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Damn, if that shit was released separately like the Torna the Golden Country expansion I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Ah well.

I think it's also because :

1) It might be only a few hours to complete (approx. 10 hours)

2) Balancing issues. Torna had basically new systems which needed tutorials and entry areas to practice safely against not too tough monsters. Future Connected seems to be a literal continuation from the main story. They can't make you go back LVL 1 and throw you into a new tutorial section as if you never played the game before.

Imagine finishing the game, then you get back right into a tutorial explaining you the stuff you already know. That'd be tedious.

BTW, Alvis is the 3rd Aegis confirmed now but it's necklace.

I'd be nice if Future Connected would act as a bridge between this game and XC2 or be some kind of prologue to a third XC !

That's a nice touch, cool how they're making the effort to tie it all together like that.

I'm overall a big fan of how they connected XBC 1 & 2 so far, I just hope Future Connected doesn't spoil that by taking too many liberties.