By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monolith Soft had 70 employees in 2011. They now have 243

cycycychris said:
Amazing the investment Nintendo has put into them. It appears they are trying to grow them to have at least 3 teams. 2 for original games and 1 for 'support purposes'

Better; Monolith Soft now have 4 studios. ;)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
cycycychris said:
Amazing the investment Nintendo has put into them. It appears they are trying to grow them to have at least 3 teams. 2 for original games and 1 for 'support purposes'

I hope this Monolith art means a new IP

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:
cycycychris said:

If I'm not mistaken, 1 is for support purposes, one is for burocracy/paperwork/things of this nature, and the other two are for Xenmoblade and original titles right?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
curl-6 said:

If I'm not mistaken, 1 is for support purposes, one is for burocracy/paperwork/things of this nature, and the other two are for Xenmoblade and original titles right?

I couldn't find much specifics, but as I understand it there's one main studio where they make their original games, and three secondary studios that support both the main studio and EPD's games, like with BOTW.

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

I hope this Monolith art means a new IP

Man I hope so too.

Back in 2017 when these images emerged and they were recruiting they posted job openings looking for people with experience in action games.

An action game by from the guys being Xenoblade? Yes freaking please.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Wyrdness said:

What you just did here is mix up Remakes, Remasters and Reboots because the industry mixes up terms when they like, Goldeneye and FFVIIR are reboots as they go down a different direction to the original games, XBC and RE are remakes because they remake the original game while staying true to it even if its the same a remake doesn't have to be different from the original. A remaster has always been just a port of the original version to a modern console with little changes other than slight touch ups an example being TLOU on PS4 or RE3 on Dreamcast where it's the same version just on a newer platform.

No. A reboot is the restart of series or franchise and discards the continuity in order to create an entirely new one; that's something completely different from a remake. An example of a reboot would be Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

A port with small enhancements or additional content is actually just called a port; sometimes an enhanced port to acknowledge the enhancements. Skies of Arcadia Legends, for example, is a port despite all the new content, graphical touch ups, and gameplay tweaks.

A remaster is a new edition that replaces outdated assets and codework/engines in order to bring an existing game to a new generation. This is what Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is. Just because it's a more extensive remaster than other remasters does not suddenly make it something completely different.

A remake is a new take on the same story. It's not just an asset swap or a code/engine update, it's an entirely new design which attempts to recapture the original, but not replicate it. A current trend in film is live action remakes of animated films, this is a good illustration for what a game remake is because the macro-concept is directly translatable between the two industries. "Final Fantasy Remake" fits the definition of a remake to a T.

Leynos said:

FF7R is a reimagining/reboot,

Well, what is it, a re-imaging or a reboot? A reimagining is not a type of reboot, it's a type of remake. It differs from a standard remake by creating a new franchise or universe; characters, and everything. Xenoblade Chronicles can be considered a reimagining of Xenogears since the game, on the bare bones conceptual level, is based on Xenogears with much of the plot points being remade. But by far the most prominent example of a reimagining is Star Wars vs The Hidden Fortress, and that is the best way to illustrate the term.

A big clue that Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is a remaster is the definitive edition written right into its title. The same thing can be said about Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

What you are trying to do is to use semantical fan logic to redefine well-established industry terminology in order to elevate something beyond what it actually is, like the whole "Metroid is an RPG because you play the role of Samus." In the end, it's an exercise in pretentiousness.

And Curl-6, my sincerest apologies for continuing the derail over someone's fanboy nitpick of one of my posts. But I suffer from German cultural flaws, like arguing about trivial details.

How can you explain about Ocarina of Time 3D/Majora's Mask 3D? They are remakes, why XCDE isn't? From Wii to Wii U, sd to hd, Nintendo would just call it: Xenoblade Chronicles HD like Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD if it really is a remaster.

If I had to guess I'd say one of their three secondary studios is handling XBC:DE while the main studio makes that new game they teased in 2017, and the other two help out with BOTW2 and other EPD projects.

It's not impossible XBC: DE is being handled by an external studio, but given Monolith have the capacity to do it themselves while still working on a new game, internal development seems more likely.

Patiently waiting for a massive game that could surprise everyone. Xenoblade 2 was fine but I'd prefer a more radical evolution, like that one that happened with Xenoblade X after the original.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
Patiently waiting for a massive game that could surprise everyone. Xenoblade 2 was fine but I'd prefer a more radical evolution, like that one that happened with Xenoblade X after the original.

If we go by the job descriptions posted back in 2017 and 2018, they were looking for people with experience in making action games and said their next game would be “ambitious project that is different from Monolith Soft’s brand image".

So it seems whatever their next game is, it will indeed be a big departure from their recent works.

Leynos said:
Jumpin said:

No. A reboot is the restart of series or franchise and discards the continuity in order to create an entirely new one; that's something completely different from a remake. An example of a reboot would be Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

A port with small enhancements or additional content is actually just called a port; sometimes an enhanced port to acknowledge the enhancements. Skies of Arcadia Legends, for example, is a port despite all the new content, graphical touch ups, and gameplay tweaks.

A remaster is a new edition that replaces outdated assets and codework/engines in order to bring an existing game to a new generation. This is what Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is. Just because it's a more extensive remaster than other remasters does not suddenly make it something completely different.

A remake is a new take on the same story. It's not just an asset swap or a code/engine update, it's an entirely new design which attempts to recapture the original, but not replicate it. A current trend in film is live action remakes of animated films, this is a good illustration for what a game remake is because the macro-concept is directly translatable between the two industries. "Final Fantasy Remake" fits the definition of a remake to a T.

Well, what is it, a re-imaging or a reboot? A reimagining is not a type of reboot, it's a type of remake. It differs from a standard remake by creating a new franchise or universe; characters, and everything. Xenoblade Chronicles can be considered a reimagining of Xenogears since the game, on the bare bones conceptual level, is based on Xenogears with much of the plot points being remade. But by far the most prominent example of a reimagining is Star Wars vs The Hidden Fortress, and that is the best way to illustrate the term.

A big clue that Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is a remaster is the definitive edition written right into its title. The same thing can be said about Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

What you are trying to do is to use semantical fan logic to redefine well-established industry terminology in order to elevate something beyond what it actually is, like the whole "Metroid is an RPG because you play the role of Samus." In the end, it's an exercise in pretentiousness.

And Curl-6, my sincerest apologies for continuing the derail over someone's fanboy nitpick of one of my posts. But I suffer from German cultural flaws, like arguing about trivial details.

Don't quote me or at me again because it's hilarious how wrong you are but this is the hill you die on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remake

"A remake is a production of a filmtelevision seriesvideo game, or similar form of entertainment that is based upon an earlier production. A remake tells the same story as the original but uses a different cast and may alter the theme or target audience.[1]"

"A video game remake is a video game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and new audiences. Typically, a remake of such game software shares essentially its title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and core story elements with the original. Remakes are often made by the original developer or copyright holder, although some are made by the fan community. If created by the community, video game remakes are sometimes also called fan games and can be seen as part of the retrogaming phenomenon."

This is from your wikipedia link. Did you even bother to read it?

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is close adaption modernized for newer hardware and newer audiences. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is NOT adapted from an earlier game, IT IS an an edition/update of an earlier game, remastered for newer hardware. The gameplay, story, voice work, and design remain unchanged and unmodernized.

Also from Wikipedia "Remastering a video game is more difficult than remastering a film or music recording because the video game's graphics show their age.[13] This can be due to a number of factors, notably lower resolutions and less complicated rendering engines (usually 3D) at the time of release, while implementing newer graphical technologies may also change the gameplay."

However, this definition does fit Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. It covers both your key points: new graphics and new engine.

If you're going to come at someone pompously and trollishly, it's best not to own yourself in the process. And if you really have the audacity to say that your going to attack and kill someone on a hill, do so with something a little more credible than Wikipedia, and if Wikipedia is your sword, best to make it one you're not going to trip and fall on. 

Also, now that I've taken you to school, learn how to read: Xenoblade Definitive EDITION, Final Fantasy REMAKE.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 24 March 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.