By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you could only pick one.....

*if* you could only pick 1, which one would it be?

Xbox series X, 600$ - 12,1 Tflops (4k) 14 24.56%

Playstation 5, 500$ - 10,3 Tflops (4k) 37 64.91%

Xbox series Y, 400$ - 4+ Tflops (1080p) 6 10.53%

Total:57
Chicho said:

whats the point of releasing a weaker console than the Xbox one X for a higher price. Lockhart has to be at leat a bit more powerfull than xbox one X

Lockhart wouldn't be weaker than Xbox One X, even if it has less Teraflops:

The GPU performance would be around the same with all new architecture features.

The CPU would be extremely faster (less/no slowdowns, more stable frametimes).

The additional and faster RAM would bring a lot of advantages.

The loading times of games would only be a fraction due to the SSD.

Around the Network
Chicho said:

whats the point of releasing a weaker console than the Xbox one X for a higher price. Lockhart has to be at leat a bit more powerfull than xbox one X

the 4+ Tflops of a RDNA 2, is probably abit better than the XBox One X's 6 Tflops, in terms of actual performance.

Think of it like this:

AMD radeon VII (13,4 Tflops) (gcn) is actually abit slower than a 5700 XT (9,74 Tflops)

~27% less Tflops, same or more performance on the RDNA1 card.

RDNA 2 (supposedly) makes another jump like that.
So you could well see 4Tflops of the Lockhart, be as fast as the xbox one X.

Then you factor in the SSD, Faster Ram, Beefy CPU the lockhard has.... Xbox One X is gonna likely run games worse than Lockhart.

*edit:

Right now Xbox One X is selling for 499$.
Soon it ll probably be 300$ or under (for a new model) (until they clear stocks).

JRPGfan said:
Chicho said:

the 4+ Tflops of a RDNA 2, is probably abit better than the XBox One X's 6 Tflops, in terms of actual performance.

Think of it like this:

AMD radeon VII (13,4 Tflops) (gcn) is actually abit slower than a 5700 XT (9,74 Tflops)

~27% less Tflops, same or more performance on the RDNA1 card.

RDNA 2 (supposedly) makes another jump like that.
So you could well see 4Tflops of the Lockhart, be as fast as the xbox one X.

Then you factor in the SSD, Faster Ram, Beefy CPU the lockhard has.... Xbox One X is gonna likely run games worse than Lockhart.

*edit:

Right now Xbox One X is selling for 499$.
Soon it ll probably be 300$ or under (for a new model) (until they clear stocks).

Also certainly on the new process, without vapor chamber and other details Series S will be much cheaper to produce than Scorpio would ever be.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I can buy multiple but will only get the PS5 for now because of VR. If the series X adds VR I might get that as well.

I'm not paying $600 for a game console, and I don't see why I'd pay that much for a mid-line upgrade. I'm not even sure if the PS5 at $500 is worth it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

If Sony continues to release games on PC then I have no reason to buy a PS5, especially since they dropped the ball with BC.

lol @ those poll prices.

I haven't seen exclusive games for any of them so as of now there is no reason to get either.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

TalonMan said:
Bandorr said:

How does Xbox releasing their first party games on the X1 for a year or two factor into that?

I dunno...? I guess MS might have the resources (and the desire/motivation) to take a first party game, build it with "max specs", and then re-release the same game a couple of years later with lowered specs - but I highly doubt 3rd party developers & publishers would go through that level of effort, unless the game was of the "block-buster" variety...

The other most likely option is the series X takes lead and then they scale it down for the Lockhart, I'm sure that MS built Lockhart with ease of porting being  a key target they most likely will have developed the dev kits tools  to facilitate this ,they definitely don't want the PS5 3rd party to outshine there's , plus 3rd party in the main will want to hype the next gen nature of their games, so unless it's a real bother I expect the lockhart to consist of a fair percentage of scaled down series X games especially if it turns out to be fairly straightforward solution to porting.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Captain_Yuri said:
Ps5 cause as a PC gamer, I can get xbox one games on my pc.

You might also get your PS5 games in the near future with the way PSNow is going plus teasers like Horizon ZD coming to Steam.

What if both games come to PC, would you still get a PS5?

TalonMan said:
Between those three choices, I'm going with the PS5 without a second thought.

If, however, I had to chose between XBox X & Y I'm willing to bet the Y Series is the more sensible choice. The X Series is obviously more powerful, but history says that developers will code to the lowest common denominator so that their software will run on as many platforms as possible. The point being, very few games will likely take advantage of the higher specs because publishers would not want to limit their XBox audience.

Would you develop a game that can only play on Series X? Or, would you strive to release a game that can be played on BOTH Series X & Y??? The answer is obvious...

Weather they opt for the lower end denominator still means you get greater benefits playing old games on the Series X. Much like how a good PC will run games good compared to a average PC running games averagly.

Gears 5 running at PC settings is a perfect example. Imagine if all 1st party Xbox games get next gen boosts like Halo 5 running with Ray Tracing at a constant 60/4k? That game already looks amazing on the X1X.