By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best decade for gaming?

I think the best is...

1980s 2 4.35%

1990s 24 52.17%

2000s 14 30.43%

2010s 6 13.04%

Total:46

Might be biased b/c I grew up as a child of the 90s, but to me this era in gaming is tops - between all the great SNES and Genesis stuff, some great PC titles like Starcraft and Roller Coaster Tycoon, Everquest, along with some super fun N64 local multiplayer games, it's yet to be matched.

2000s is a close second. It was a tremendous blend of DC, GC, and Xbox 360 games, and I was beginning to branch out and explore other genres and consoles. Stuff like Gears brought me into the glorious online romps of XBL, and the Wii revolution was fresh and exciting. And I'm not a huge Sony guy, but even the PS2 was great for me, still the highpoint of PS consoles IMO.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

When we look at the 2 most hyped games this year they are remakes of 90s games. RE3 and FF7. To a smaller degree Langrisser and Trials of Mana. Last year RE2 was a GOTY contender. Then Switch had Zelda LA remake. Then I keep hearing more about 90s game remasters on digital shops and sequels to 90s franchises like Shenmue and Streets of Rage. Limited Run is re-releasing 90s Star Wars games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

BraLoD said:
NobleTeam360 said:
The 2000s for me, Final Fantasy X, CoD 4/WaW/MW2, GTA Vice City, AC2, Halo 2, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, etc..... 2010s wouldn't be too far off from the 2000s though.

You are doing 2000s a disservice there.

Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, Disgaea 1/2/3, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII, Resident Evil 4, Bully, Digimon World 3, Diablo 2, Okami, Metal Gear Solid 3/4, Persona 3/4, Uncharted 2, Pokemon Gen 3/4, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and so much more (Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, Phantom Brave, etc.)

You picked some weak ass games on such a amazing decade xP (FF10, CoD, AC, ME... seriously xD)

To each their own; personally I'd take Mass Effect or COD Modern Warfare/World at War over the likes of Demon's Souls or Final Fantasy any day.

BraLoD said:
NobleTeam360 said:
The 2000s for me, Final Fantasy X, CoD 4/WaW/MW2, GTA Vice City, AC2, Halo 2, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, etc..... 2010s wouldn't be too far off from the 2000s though.

You are doing 2000s a disservice there.

Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, Disgaea 1/2/3, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII, Resident Evil 4, Bully, Digimon World 3, Diablo 2, Okami, Metal Gear Solid 3/4, Persona 3/4, Uncharted 2, Pokemon Gen 3/4, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and so much more (Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, Phantom Brave, etc.)

You picked some weak ass games on such a amazing decade xP (FF10, CoD, AC, ME... seriously xD)

Well, the games I mentioned were really amazing imo, plus I've only recently started going back and playing some "older" gen games like the ones you mentioned, primarily Persona 3/4, FF9 and XII, etc... Loved Ace Combat 4 and the Gran Turismo series though (before 4 that is). 

I am a 90s kid and had every console, but... 2000s wins easy.

Best console and PC games. 90s was also good, but definitely worse in PC games. 7th gen was a letdown, but it didn't matter because the early 2000s were that good.

Around the Network

Most certainly the 90s. Just take a look at the consoles within that era: SNES, Mega Drive, Gameboy Color, PS1 and N64. All of them had huge amounts of excellent, amazing, beautiful games.

2000s. Lots of great games, not too many bad business practices yet. 2010s was full of business practices and in the 90s, the industry was still developing despite some amazing games. Many games considered great in the 90s are considered very outdated today, but games from the 2000s have aged better.

90's, it is the evolution and leap of games that was insane for me..

We went from Wolfenstein, to doom, to Quake, to Half life
We also got so many games from a franchise because of shorter dev times and sometimes it was bad like Tomb Raider every year but sometimes it was great like the FF games.

Oof, the last three decades all some real masterpieces in them. Personal highlights:

90s:
FF7, Ocarina of Time, Symphony of the Night, Pokémon Silver/Gold

00s:
Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Vesperia, Warcraft 3, Half Life 2, SSBB

10s:
Portal 2, Witcher 3, Starcraft 2, DDLC, God of War, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Skyrim

I think the 10s had the highest volume of games I really loved, but ToS and Warcraft 3 are my all times favorites, so I have to go with the 00s

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

All 4 are great, but my choice would be the 2000s probably. They were definitely the most formative years for me with videogames.

A ton of my absolute favorites. My top 3 RPGs, with Symphonia, Baten Kaitos Origins and SMT III.

Wind Waker, Path of Radiance, Viewtiful Joe, Minish Cap, Mario Galaxy, Hotel Dusk, Kirby Air Ride to name a few more.