By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

Mar1217 said:
I think this situation is kind of unbelievable but since we still never saw them make any statement relating to the recent events, I think it's fair to assume there are not delaying anything. Weird though cuz if it was the case, we'd see 3rd party publishers doing some announcements right now.

People from the industry we're sure that we we were getting it this week too ...

Oh.
Maybe we'll get a Mini-Direct tomorrow ?

Third parties are announcing Switch games on a daily basis. Its just not the big and famous ones.

Around the Network

I think this is going to be a really, really, bad year for Nintendo exclusives. Looking back on 2018 Nintendo's plans were fairly obvious. They were...

Remake: Poke'mon Let's Go
DLC: Torna
Big Game: Smash Ultimate
Give a major 3rd party game a chance: Octopath

If Nintendo has similar plans for 2020, then we are really in bad shape. It would be...

Remake: Mystery Dungeon
DLC: Cindered Shadows
Big Game: Animal Crossing
Give a Major 3rd party game a chance: Bravely Default 2, and/or NMH3

If I'm right this does not bode well for 2020 at all because...

Cindered Shadows, and Mystery Dungeon pale in comparison to Torna, and Let's Go. Mystery Dungeon got a lot lower review scores than I thought it would, which put me off buying it.

Now, this is all just me speculating, but if this turns out to be more or less right, we are in for a nine month Switch drought of doom. Nine months where Switch doesn't get any serious 1st party support. Edit: Actually it would be a longer than nine month drought, because Nintendo wouldn't release any of it's 2021 games until April or May. This would indeed be an Abyss to Stare into. It would be Wii U levels of fail. Even worse, because Switch is supposed to be the successor of both the console and handheld sides of Nintendo!

But then again, they'd still be at something like 4 good exclusives a year on average, which is really good. I just don't want Switch to get the cliff of death like Wii. Remember when Wii got very few games in 2011 and 2012? Remember when Wii sales dropped off a cliff? I'd like to not see that cliff of games, and cliff of sales for Switch!

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 25 March 2020

Rather stay in this shallow abyss, gives us some galaxy brain takes.

Called it. Nintendo don't give a fuck, they've given up, they're just shitting out AC and then leaving their platform and fanbase to rot, at a time when people need gaming more than ever.

Never been so disgusted with them.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Called it. Nintendo don't give a fuck, they've given up, they're just shitting out AC and then leaving their platform and fanbase to rot, at a time when people need gaming more than ever.

Never been so disgusted with them.

It is still only March. Give them time. Sure I'd rather have games announced 9-18 months before they release. But that isn't what Nintendo generally does. Unless it is Zelda, than they are announced years before they release. 

I've given them time; more than nine months of it, the last time they announced a major new game was E3.

All I fucking want is something other than misery, fear, isolation, and the imminent threat of death to look forward to in what could be the very short remainder of my life. Just something new to fucking play on my system I paid good money for that's barely three years old. But Nintendo just can't be bothered, and are starving their fans of hope when we need it more than ever.

padib said:
curl-6 said:

I've given them time; more than nine months of it, the last time they announced a major new game was E3.

All I fucking want is something other than misery, fear, isolation, and the imminent threat of death to look forward to in what could be the very short remainder of my life. Just something new to fucking play on my system I paid good money for that's barely three years old. But Nintendo just can't be bothered, and are starving their fans of hope when we need it more than ever.

Animal Crossing just launched to the biggest numbers in the series. Did you buy it?

Animal Crossing isn't for everyone, to me it looks like the most boring thing ever.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 March 2020

Hiku said:
curl-6 said:

Animal Crossing looks like the most boring thing ever.

Well especially if you'e not interested in some of their biggest franchises, it's hard to expect any one single company to keep you entertained consistently.
I don't know what your financial situation is like or your taste in games in general, but have you considered getting an additional system if possible? Everyone is different, but I've literally never not had an interesting game to play or look forward to since I was old enough to purchase games myself.

I have other systems, (I'd go insane if I didn't) just not current ones. I've considered getting a PS4 or Xbox One but they just don't excite me and the last time I talked myself into buying a system I wasn't enthusiastic about (3DS) I ended up regretting it.

I don't expect Nintendo alone to put out enough first party games to keep me constantly sustained, but third parties are also refusing to give any release dates; Doom Eternal, Outer Worlds, and Blair Witch are all confirmed for Switch and on my to-buy list, but they won't say when they're coming.

At this point it's less a matter of "I have nothing to play", and more "I need something concrete feel good about for the future, to look forward to."

Fuck, I'm sorry guys, I had a meltdown. I'm just so damn tired and beaten down from the constant, endless stress with no end in sight. I just feel so terrible all the time, and having a cool new game announced or one I want dated would've helped so much.

It is possible that we STILL don't get a Direct this week. Kinda scary!

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

curl-6 said:
Hiku said:

Well especially if you'e not interested in some of their biggest franchises, it's hard to expect any one single company to keep you entertained consistently.
I don't know what your financial situation is like or your taste in games in general, but have you considered getting an additional system if possible? Everyone is different, but I've literally never not had an interesting game to play or look forward to since I was old enough to purchase games myself.

I have other systems, (I'd go insane if I didn't) just not current ones. I've considered getting a PS4 or Xbox One but they just don't excite me and the last time I talked myself into buying a system I wasn't enthusiastic about (3DS) I ended up regretting it.

I don't expect Nintendo alone to put out enough first party games to keep me constantly sustained, but third parties are also refusing to give any release dates; Doom Eternal, Outer Worlds, and Blair Witch are all confirmed for Switch and on my to-buy list, but they won't say when they're coming.

At this point it's less a matter of "I have nothing to play", and more "I need something concrete feel good about for the future, to look forward to."

Fuck, I'm sorry guys, I had a meltdown. I'm just so damn tired and beaten down from the constant, endless stress with no end in sight. I just feel so terrible all the time, and having a cool new game announced or one I want dated would've helped so much.

Are you sure the PS4 wouldn't be up your alley?

It has a deep catalog of acclaimed first parties, plus, a lot of third parties that are probably better on PlayStation than Switch.