Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I've gone back and replayed Diddy Kong Racing. I think it holds up better than Mario Kart 64. 

Neither of them is really playable to me nowadays to be honest, they've both aged really poorly, like most 3D games of their era to be fair.

Anyway, since MK9 is in my opinion best left for Switch 2, a Diddy Kong Racing sequel in the mean time would be awesome. I just hope they don't fall back on one of their worst habits of this gen and just remake the 64 one instead of creating an original title.

I wouldn't mind taking inspiration from the first one and build upon it. Like having an overworld that is similar to the first, but make it bigger and have more to find. I like the boss races as well. But when you had to go and do each race a second time to get all the coins I'd be okay leaving out. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Neither of them is really playable to me nowadays to be honest, they've both aged really poorly, like most 3D games of their era to be fair.

Anyway, since MK9 is in my opinion best left for Switch 2, a Diddy Kong Racing sequel in the mean time would be awesome. I just hope they don't fall back on one of their worst habits of this gen and just remake the 64 one instead of creating an original title.

I wouldn't mind taking inspiration from the first one and build upon it. Like having an overworld that is similar to the first, but make it bigger and have more to find. I like the boss races as well. But when you had to go and do each race a second time to get all the coins I'd be okay leaving out. 

Inspiration is fine, I just want it to be an actual new game in the franchise, not just a remake.

One of my biggest pet peeves with Nintendo this gen is their over-reliance on re-releasing/remaking old games instead of making new entries.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I wouldn't mind taking inspiration from the first one and build upon it. Like having an overworld that is similar to the first, but make it bigger and have more to find. I like the boss races as well. But when you had to go and do each race a second time to get all the coins I'd be okay leaving out. 

Inspiration is fine, I just want it to be an actual new game in the franchise, not just a remake.

One of my biggest pet peeves with Nintendo this gen is their over-reliance on re-releasing/remaking old games instead of making new entries.

I agree. Though, I think they did well with Pokemon Let's Go. The best Switch games are Mario Odyssey and BotW. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

SpokenTruth said:
Since the restructuring of the Entertainment Analysis and Development divisions into the Entertainment Planning and Development divisions, the group numbers and team structures have become less rigid.

These are as close as we can get to solid teams and the games/IP they focus on. That said, one group may help another group. They are much more flexible now.

EPD Group 1 - Assists 2nd part and 3rd party developers.
EPD Group 2 - Assists 2nd part and 3rd party developers. Mario spin offs, Smash Bros, Kirby, Yoshi, etc..
EPD Group 3 - Zelda.
EPD Group 4 - 1-2 Switch, Labo, Ring Fit Adventure
EPD Group 5 - Splatoon, Animal Crossing (With Group 9).
EPD Group 6 - Assists 2nd part and 3rd party developers.
EPD Group 7 - Assists 2nd part and 3rd party developers.
EPD Group 8 - Mario.
EPD Group 9 - Mario Kart, ARMS, Pikmin, Animal Crossing (with Group 5).
EPD Group 10 - Pikmin, Super Mario Maker, New Super Mario World,.


Not to mention:

- Intelligent Systems: Rumored to be working on a Paper Mario game and didn’t have a lot of staff working on FE: 3H (majority was from Koei Tecmo)

- Monolith Soft: just increased their staff to 243 people and 4 studios. They’re likely delegating one studio to help with BoTW2 and the others to work on Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and their upcoming new IP (or new Xeno game). 

- Next Level Games: Just released Luigi’s Mansion 3. They’ll likely have another project in the pipeline.

- Retro Studios: While they haven’t done much since DKC: TF, they have assisted in developing MK7 and are working on MP4.

Nintendo can delegate different studios to work on various projects. Not to mention, they have often collaborated with third party partners with their big games (I.e., Astral Chain, Mario + Rabbids, FE: 3H, TMS: #FE, Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors, etc.).

So I think it’s not like they have some studios just twirling their thumbs. They just take time. Nintendo has published about close to a dozen games a year (even more before with 3DS/Wii U). I don’t think even Sony or Microsoft have published that many a year, let alone develop and release, unless someone can tell me otherwise.



KLXVER said:
Well if we disregard third parties, then both the PS4 and XB1 has had similar droughts. XB1 has probably had even worse ones.

Sure.  And people have been going on and on about the lack of games in XBone for years now.  "Probably " not having as  bad a drought as XB1 is not good enough.  



Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I wouldn't mind taking inspiration from the first one and build upon it. Like having an overworld that is similar to the first, but make it bigger and have more to find. I like the boss races as well. But when you had to go and do each race a second time to get all the coins I'd be okay leaving out. 

Inspiration is fine, I just want it to be an actual new game in the franchise, not just a remake.

One of my biggest pet peeves with Nintendo this gen is their over-reliance on re-releasing/remaking old games instead of making new entries.

In some sense, I feel like I got punished for being a loyal Ninty fan that bought a WiiU.  They've re-released a bunch of the best games, so they haven't given me as much new stuff to play this gen.  MK8 is the most egregious example.  There should be a new Kart by now.  



VAMatt said:
KLXVER said:
Well if we disregard third parties, then both the PS4 and XB1 has had similar droughts. XB1 has probably had even worse ones.

Sure.  And people have been going on and on about the lack of games in XBone for years now.  "Probably " not having as  bad a drought as XB1 is not good enough.  

Yeah, I feel it's the system's biggest problem, it has a shortage of high quality original content.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good exclusives like Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2, but it needs more of them and less repackage old rope.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

Sure.  And people have been going on and on about the lack of games in XBone for years now.  "Probably " not having as  bad a drought as XB1 is not good enough.  

Yeah, I feel it's the system's biggest problem, it has a shortage of high quality original content.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good exclusives like Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2, but it needs more of them and less repackage old rope.

Don't forget Pokemon. Even if you don't count Let's Go, there is Sword and Shield. And now there is Animal Crossing, even if it isn't for me. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I am assuming that none of the complaining in this thread has any pending games to finish. I have a few. Either way, a Nintendo direct is coming soon.



Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

alejollorente10 said:
I am assuming that none of the complaining in this thread has any pending games to finish. I have a few. Either way, a Nintendo direct is coming soon.

Sadly none for me. At least games on Switch, as Animal Crossing isn't for me. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.